E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

I-Drive video interface for PAL users

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 11:11 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 (born 11/04) 525i Touring: jet black, bi-xenons, sports suspension, extended air conditioning. Retrofits: hinged cubby hole, AUX-input, generic I-Drive video interface (a.k.a. xbox-e60) Warranty repairs: software update, door seals replaced, loose aluminium trim fixed. Repairs: Self-levelling compressor.

Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago I got the E60 xbox unit (http://www.TVandNav2Go.com).
The exact thing that is in on the group buy (RGB module)...

At that time I just did the simple test that it works, didn't install it... but today I opened the center console took some power for the module. I simply opened the middle trim and took cigarette lighter part out and did the branch into the wires...
Pulled the wires behind the gloves compartment and added extra cigarette female connector... that's it.

See the picture....

Pros and cons so far:
+ Picture quality is good (in NTSC) as advertised
+ Easy installation (a bit tight place behind the screen but fits) took 15 minutes.
+Wide screen material fits nicely in full screen (atleast in NO NAV)

- 4:3 material is stretched... so the widescreen material is best if aspect ratio is concerned...

- PAL doesn't work... picture is out of sync... without colors. I have only tried PAL with two digital cameras. (Sony DSC-P12 and KonicaMinolta 7D/Maxxum) Neither of them works in PAL mode.
I've been waiting a week now about the information from Dominic about this.

- original remote controller should be universal (learning capability)... only mute button works for changing the input source, nothing else. So it's gets clumsy if you have other devices with other remotes etc...

- Taking the power from somewhere is not so easy... took 2 hours totally... had to be carefull, not to break anything...

- If using cig. lighter for power... you will loose I-Drive picture if you don't have the keys in pos 2. (e.g. listening the radio if someone stays in the car, after you have left with the keys)

- When the screen turns on, you can see that there is something connected in the system. Originally I-drive screen is blank and when it turns on picture comes immediately up... no brief flash of white color.... Now there is a minor white flash when power comes through the module... similarly when the screen shuts down you'll see it fading... this a bit cosmetic but having e60/e61 you notice these small things

- A bit expensive... standard price 550$ + shipping 65$ = 500Eur + taxes. And if the PAL doesn't work after all...

All in all nice feature in my e61... (I bet nobody in Finland has this yet
But still a bit mixed feelings about the PAL issue and those cosmetic stuff I mentioned

Just wonder has anybody who got this exact module tried PAL ???

I have to sleep over this...

Anyway my next plan is to but hard disk player in there also... and aux should be get done....
Attached Thumbnails I-Drive video interface for PAL users-dsc06292b.jpg  
Old 06-19-2005, 12:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Very nice write up! Thanks.. I only want it so I can watch DVD.. I'll just wait a little longer to see if bmw will give it too us..
Old 06-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

Please post pics of the XBOX and games running on the screen! Can't wait to see that!!

THANKS!
Old 06-19-2005, 11:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 (born 11/04) 525i Touring: jet black, bi-xenons, sports suspension, extended air conditioning. Retrofits: hinged cubby hole, AUX-input, generic I-Drive video interface (a.k.a. xbox-e60) Warranty repairs: software update, door seals replaced, loose aluminium trim fixed. Repairs: Self-levelling compressor.

Originally Posted by tomwid' date='Jun 20 2005, 06:07 AM
Please post pics of the XBOX and games running on the screen!? Can't wait to see that!!

THANKS!
[snapback]141041[/snapback]

In this context, xbox means something like exchange interface. The actual interface is named as "e60 xbox". Atleast that's what's written on the housing.
So this doesn't mean MS XBOX game console.

But it's possible now to connect one to my car...
Old 06-20-2005, 05:32 AM
Senior Members

LOLz!! Ohh ok. Well, can you post pics of 16x9, 4:3, and 2:35:1 movies?
Old 06-20-2005, 06:48 AM
Members

How did you remove the interior pannels?
Old 06-20-2005, 10:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tomwid' date='Jun 20 2005, 04:32 PM
LOLz!!? Ohh ok.? Well, can you post pics of 16x9, 4:3, and 2:35:1 movies?
[snapback]141129[/snapback]

Hi,

I don't have portable DVD player yet but I took one of my "hifi" dvd players to my car and took some shots... had to drag 220V cable to car

Here you go:

1. 4:3
2. 2.35:1
3. 16x9
4. 4:3
5. 16x9
6. 16x9
7. 2.35.1
Attached Thumbnails I-Drive video interface for PAL users-2.35.1.jpg   I-Drive video interface for PAL users-4.3.jpg   I-Drive video interface for PAL users-4.3b.jpg   I-Drive video interface for PAL users-16x9b.jpg   I-Drive video interface for PAL users-16x9c.jpg  

I-Drive video interface for PAL users-16x9d.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mpg
2.35.1.MPG (174.8 KB, 126 views)
Old 06-20-2005, 11:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bdav' date='Jun 20 2005, 05:48 PM
How did you remove the interior pannels?
[snapback]141148[/snapback]

Initially I was planning to take whole middle console away but the decided to give a try for just this.

-First I took the I-Drive knob away. Just pull up gently.

-Then took the leather cover of the stick away. It's easy to remove with bare hands also.

- In the rear part of the trim, just behind the Menu button are two spikes which mainly holds the trim in it's place. Just pulling the trim up carefully let's it loose. Menu button's wire was just enough to move whole trim backwards so that the front part could be slided out/up like in picture. I never taken the trim totally away.

- Absolutely most time consuming part was to undo the two front most screws of the cigarette module. Hardly no space to do that. And putting those two screws back

All in all it was easy... didn't brake anything, atleast I didn't notice...
Old 06-21-2005, 10:45 AM
Senior Members

Dude! That is awesome! I'm glad to see that they got the aspect ratio correct. It should be selectable on 4:3 material though or maybe it's a dvd player setting?

I wonder what this would look like on a PRO NAV system!

Thanks for the pics and movie! Very much appreciated. Hook up that PS2 or Xbox in there!
Old 06-22-2005, 02:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tomwid' date='Jun 21 2005, 09:45 PM
Dude!? That is awesome!? I'm glad to see that they got the aspect ratio correct.? It should be selectable on 4:3 material though or maybe it's a dvd player setting?

I wonder what this would look like on a PRO NAV system!

Thanks for the pics and movie!? Very much appreciated.? Hook up that PS2 or Xbox in there!
[snapback]141622[/snapback]

Hi,

I guess it was Hobi (or someone) that said that with PRO NAV there is black right area in the screen. This means that video comes only to the place where you see the Map. Otherwise the aspect ratio would be totally screwed.

I think the module will always stretch the material so that there is no black parts in the sides...

I got response from the Dominic and he said that PAL has problems. Currently no information when the fixed version would be available

About games, it's a shame that it currently doesn't support PAL because I have one of those joystick integrated arcade retro games to be connected to TV... having the Space Invaders etc...