E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

I can't find an Honest Installer in Illinois.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I am having one hell of a hard time finding an honest installer in this part of Illinois. I'm in Lake County, which is a suburb of Chicago. I have Koni struts/shocks and H&R sport springs I need installed. Everyone I've talked to cannot give me an exact installation price. Its always something like this:

"well, it depends on what kind of struts they are, it could take 3 hours it could take 6, I just can't give you an answer." (and they charge $90 to $95 per hour for labor.)

F THAT.

Plus, there was even one that told me the price for INSTALL would be $845.00. I told him to pound sand up his ass. I can't believe the nerve of these people. Do any of you guys know of a place around this area who can do a good job and not be a complete rip-off??!?!!?!?!?!!?!?

In the meantime, I got guys from Trinity in Cali telling me they charge a flat $245 or so for installation and it only takes a couple of hours, tops. I'M SO MAD.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

sorry to hear about the trouble man. also included in that $245 that we charge would be alignment as well. good luck and hopefully youll find a place for a better deal than those other places.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='644935' date='Aug 12 2008, 01:37 PM
sorry to hear about the trouble man. also included in that $245 that we charge would be alignment as well. good luck and hopefully youll find a place for a better deal than those other places.
(talking about those springs I want to get off you). Just trying to find someone that isn't a con-artist is a serious challenge.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: alpinewhite's ride

Have consider checking nearby states that could do it cheaper?
Old 08-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

I can recommend someone, he owns his own shop called EURO PRO PLUS. His name is Steve, I did some business with him last year(not pertaining to cars). He is a straight forward guy. I Did asked him how much he will charge to change the shocks and springs and he said about $150/wheel. He mentioned it could be slightly less in the rear. I know it still can't compete with the prices quoted by Trinity but I guess that is the labor cost here in our State. Let me know if you are interested and I will give you his #. Good luck
Old 08-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by al_ongvano' post='644968' date='Aug 12 2008, 02:03 PM
I can recommend someone, he owns his own shop called EURO PRO PLUS. His name is Steve, I did some business with him last year(not pertaining to cars). He is a straight forward guy. I Did asked him how much he will charge to change the shocks and springs and he said about $150/wheel. He mentioned it could be slightly less in the rear. I know it still can't compete with the prices quoted by Trinity but I guess that is the labor cost here in our State. Let me know if you are interested and I will give you his #. Good luck
Its actually struts and springs not the shocks. Is there a difference in price? Yes, I'd like to talk to him. Please PM me his #.

Basically, its this X 4....that I need installed.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Contributors

Ok, I just called a local Midas. They tell me that the cost is $558.00 for labor and an additional $80.00 for alignment.

I also told him how quick people are to tack on an additional 50% when they hear its a BMW followed by a quick bend-over spooning. He said the time is 3.5 hours for the front 2 wheels and about 2.4 hours for the rear aka 6 hours labor. The cost, he says, comes from the time it takes to remove the top mount thats in my car right now and fit it to the new strut (as seen in the photo above).

I can't see how the price in california can vary from $245.00 for install AND alignment to $630+ here in Illinois. Its just stupid expensive.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: alpinewhite's ride

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='645035' date='Aug 12 2008, 01:21 PM
Ok, I just called a local Midas. They tell me that the cost is $558.00 for labor and an additional $80.00 for alignment.

I also told him how quick people are to tack on an additional 50% when they hear its a BMW followed by a quick bend-over spooning. He said the time is 3.5 hours for the front 2 wheels and about 2.4 hours for the rear aka 6 hours labor. The cost, he says, comes from the time it takes to remove the top mount thats in my car right now and fit it to the new strut (as seen in the photo above).

I can't see how the price in california can vary from $245.00 for install AND alignment to $630+ here in Illinois. Its just stupid expensive.

It call competition. California is the mod capital of the world
Old 08-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson Edition 6.4L OHV Power Stroke Turbo Diesel V8 (350hp/650lbft) Blue Flame Package Dual Alternators Touch Screen Navigation + DVD Player Uplifter Switches Trailer Brake Controller Traction Control Rapid Heat Supplemental Cab Heater Rear View Camera Power Slide Moonroof

It seems like no matter what question you ask a shop their first reply is "what kind of car do you drive"? When they hear BMW the price definately goes up $100-$200 no matter what the job be. I was told by a lot of people that to install springs alone on an xi imparticular is harder then a RWD BMW, and it will take 4-6 hours at around $500. I found some good guys that do just BMW's, $250 and it took an hour and a half! I think you just gotta shop around untill you find some honest guys that will give you a reasonable price. Most auto shops are out to rip you off..
Old 08-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

When you mention the 50% bmw "tax" they add on, I wonder what happened if you said it was a nissan or something for the quote. Then say what about BMW and see the difference. I don't see how it should be anymore money being a BMW, struts are struts. Maybe it would be worth checking craigslist.

Quick Reply: I can't find an Honest Installer in Illinois.