E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

I am designing a new airbox for my car--tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '07 530iSport PackageLuxury Packagemore to come

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I don't know what y'all are hating on diamond for. If he somehow manages to design a better airbox for the E60, and it will be proven on a dyno, I'll watch how everyone will line up to buy/make one immediately. Why shoot him down before he ever got a chance to get started? I say "live and let live". Good Luck, Diamond!

There wasn't one that said I'm with him so I chose this one. I'm still waiting for someone to explain how there are CAIs made for other BMWs that are proven to increase HP but there isn't one for the E60. I am referring to the ones made for E36 and E46 models. Not the Dinan tube either. The design looks to be about the same as the HAI that is knocked so much.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by SBrown712
There wasn't one that said I'm with him so I chose this one. I'm still waiting for someone to explain how there are CAIs made for other BMWs that are proven to increase HP but there isn't one for the E60. I am referring to the ones made for E36 and E46 models. Not the Dinan tube either. The design looks to be about the same as the HAI that is knocked so much.
I was gonna answer something, but I spent 37 minutes staring at your avatar and forgot
Old 08-31-2010, 08:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530iSport PackageLuxury Packagemore to come

LOL, I get more comments about my avatar on here than anywhere else. Glad to provide the distraction.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 550i jet black, Loaded
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N62B48

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I don't know what y'all are hating on diamond for. If he somehow manages to design a better airbox for the E60, and it will be proven on a dyno, I'll watch how everyone will line up to buy/make one immediately. Why shoot him down before he ever got a chance to get started? I say "live and let live". Good Luck, Diamond!
Exactly, V! Diamond got many great posts that benefits memebers. I could understand if people don't appreciate his tone sometime, but if it's a good thread why crap on it? It becoming a person attack soon as people sees Diamond's post, but sad no one pay attention to what he have to say first. SAD
Old 09-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 550i jet black, Loaded
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N62B48

Diamond, any update?
Old 09-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Members

Koo Koo !
Old 09-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by leadfoot
Koo Koo !
Old 09-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525xi-Stock

I'm only on here once and a while and I know who Diamond is. Don't hold your breath waiting for the intake fix. I know some of you spent money on the AFE, but you should just forget it and put the stock back on. Also, The sound is not just from the shape of the filter. It has more to do with where the end of the intake is in relation with the TB. The closer and less closed off will be louder. Not any more powerful, just louder. I am happy with my cars stock sound. Creating noise just for noise reminds me when I was young and some guys would flip their air cleaner lid. It would make the carb Suction sound louder. All it did was suck in hot air from under the hood.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnC
I'm only on here once and a while and I know who Diamond is. Don't hold your breath waiting for the intake fix. I know some of you spent money on the AFE, but you should just forget it and put the stock back on. Also, The sound is not just from the shape of the filter. It has more to do with where the end of the intake is in relation with the TB. The closer and less closed off will be louder. Not any more powerful, just louder. I am happy with my cars stock sound. Creating noise just for noise reminds me when I was young and some guys would flip their air cleaner lid. It would make the carb Suction sound louder. All it did was suck in hot air from under the hood.
Ya this makes no sense-where the end is in regards to how close it is to the throttle body. The AFE's filter was no "closer" to the TB than the stock tubing and yet was louder.

2 things make it loud-a bigger airbox or one that is totally open is "Infentintly " big and a larger size filter. It is the acoustics of a big airbox or open box that creates teh intake sound.

I dont think it takes rocket science to create a nice larger airbox, that is enclosed unlike AFE and put a nice size cone filter in and you would have an intake like the grupp m 2000 intake.

SOme may ask why CAI are not effective on the e60 compared with others-that is because our cars already have IDEAL cold RAM air intake-with a slot for air to enter in the kidney grill and a snorkel tube leading that cold outside air into the pressurized closed airbox and into the engine. Add the RPI scoop it truly is a ram system.

Older bmws and many cars dont have that direct of a path from outsie air into the TB.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

u also need some turbulent, laminar, and transient air flow at different bends and points. Here's my guess:

Laminar (or transient may be better. Need trial and error) flow INTO the intake, turbulent flow inside the airbox, and transient flow into the TB. Transient flow has best of both worlds causing a true ram inside the intake. How to design one, well, I have no idea.

laminar when Re < 2300
transient when 2300 < Re < 4000
turbulent when 4000 < Re

Need to design the bends and how the air will flow INTO the intake. It does require some engineering/science to develop an intake. Inside the airbox, the best way is to develop some vortex type turbulent air and forcing into the intake tube yielding transient airflow. Good luck.