E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

I am designing a new airbox for my car--tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i
Model Year: 2006

Why not just use stock box with new bmc?
its proven time and time again here...I dont see what the
issue is?
Im all for hands on with my vehicle but lets not re-invent the wheel...
Old 08-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 550i jet black, Loaded
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N62B48

Stock box doesn't sound as good as AFE. Since members like us still have the AFE cold air intake, it just makes sense to modify it and put it back into good use, instead throw it out the door. Since nothing can compare the sound of the AFE intake, why not improve the design DIY, so it can just increase the performance a litle (In this case, reduce the hot air) and not loosing the sound of it. Just like any BMW enthusiast, it's always fun to work on your car.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by peter griffin
Stock box doesn't sound as good as AFE. Since members like us still have the AFE cold air intake, it just makes sense to modify it and put it back into good use, instead throw it out the door. Since nothing can compare the sound of the AFE intake, why not improve the design DIY, so it can just increase the performance a litle (In this case, reduce the hot air) and not loosing the sound of it. Just like any BMW enthusiast, it's always fun to work on your car.

=(
Old 08-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer
=(
You know how frustrating knowing the "hot air intake" issue but too late for return or refund, sigh Hopefully this DIY can help the problem a little.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530iSport PackageLuxury Packagemore to come

I've asked a couple of times if anyone that got stuck with an AFE air box that didn't want it if I could have it. I guess I still don't understand how a CAI can be so effective on some BMWs but this unit causes a loss on E60s. I don't want to reinvent the wheel but as said above it's good to play. If on the off chance that someone can improve on that design and get power increases wouldn't you want one?
Old 08-26-2010, 09:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by Howitzer
Here's your R&D dude. Just shove a blower on your 555i and call it a day.
LMFAO HOWI!!! bwahahahaahhahaaaa

yo why dont u gais just drive around with your hood off? WIN!

or put your AFE on the end of one of these! since we are talking about a hypothetical vehicle anyways

I am designing a new airbox for my car--tips?-131_0803_01_z-4x4_snorkel_tech-thumbs_up.jpg
Old 08-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skelevirus
LMFAO HOWI!!! bwahahahaahhahaaaa

yo why dont u gais just drive around with your hood off? WIN!

or put your AFE on the end of one of these! since we are talking about a hypothetical vehicle anyways

Attachment 110252
good input glad you spent time digging that up-you must have a real fufilling life

I am going to the fab shop tomorrow and goin to talk with the guy

I have decided to basically keep the basic shape of the box, try to make it a bit more stream line but make it so it will fit a nice nice cone filter inside the enclosed plastic box--The cone filter sucking in air is what creates a nice sound. but the enclosure keeps the hot air out.

I will posts pics and cost when I am done-it hopefully will look stock, with less random pieces and turns-more streamline and a nice cone filter in the center for airflow.

I think it will be a real hit
Old 08-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 SMG 545i silver grey metallic / bamboo anthracite / black leather CPO sport package premium sound park distance control cold weather package

I tend try and avoid these types of posts... but this is just ridiculous.

Diamond - I'm not sure what kind of job you have or what kind of money you make, but seriously... how do you expect to obtain gains and improve on an intake that has been proven time and time again to show a loss, with just you and a custom fab shop? AFE puts a lot of money into their R&D... not to mention BMW puts a lot more time effort and money into theirs. Unless you have free access to all sorts of equipment to go through the proper trial and error process, this whole idea is pretty much pointless. I just don't understand how you expect to just tweak a few things and use a few different materials to get radically new results, when companies like BMW spend countless hours researching and testing different air boxes to fit each make and model, all while maximizing performance and minimizing cost.

/rant.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by eurotunerM3
I tend try and avoid these types of posts... but this is just ridiculous.

Diamond - I'm not sure what kind of job you have or what kind of money you make, but seriously... how do you expect to obtain gains and improve on an intake that has been proven time and time again to show a loss, with just you and a custom fab shop? AFE puts a lot of money into their R&D... not to mention BMW puts a lot more time effort and money into theirs. Unless you have free access to all sorts of equipment to go through the proper trial and error process, this whole idea is pretty much pointless. I just don't understand how you expect to just tweak a few things and use a few different materials to get radically new results, when companies like BMW spend countless hours researching and testing different air boxes to fit each make and model, all while maximizing performance and minimizing cost.

/rant.
You are correct, thanks to AFE's countless hours on R&D, we got this "HOT AIR" ram! Should we throw the intake away? I'm not sure what kind of job you have, but $300 on a AFE is not exactly cheap. We as car enthusiest would love to get our hands dirty, a little DIY and truely enjoy modding/take care the car. Bottom line is, if the mickey mouse job work, great! If not, we still have fun working on our car. Is that wrong?
Old 08-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I don't know what y'all are hating on diamond for. If he somehow manages to design a better airbox for the E60, and it will be proven on a dyno, I'll watch how everyone will line up to buy/make one immediately. Why shoot him down before he ever got a chance to get started? I say "live and let live". Good Luck, Diamond!

Quick Reply: I am designing a new airbox for my car--tips?