E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

I am designing a new airbox for my car--tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I found a custom fab shop where I am going tomorrow to meet with to talk about specs for an intake/airbox I want to try. To keep cost down I am going to go with just plastic as OEM but have free range on shape, size etc within confines of the space.

I want to use a cone filter that is a bit smaller than the AFE one--more like the KN in the gruppe M.

I am thinking of making it smaller with all rounded edgnes---will be the first non-gruppe m closed intake with acone filter.. I am looking for sound--still not happy with my sound-its lacking.

I dont get why any other companies--afe, do not make a closed box for all cars--they do for some.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by Diamond
So I found a custom fab shop where I am going tomorrow to meet with to talk about specs for an intake/airbox I want to try. To keep cost down I am going to go with just plastic as OEM but have free range on shape, size etc within confines of the space.

I want to use a cone filter that is a bit smaller than the AFE one--more like the KN in the gruppe M.

I am thinking of making it smaller with all rounded edgnes---will be the first non-gruppe m closed intake with acone filter.. I am looking for sound--still not happy with my sound-its lacking.

I dont get why any other companies--afe, do not make a closed box for all cars--they do for some.
jeezus christ dude u dont even list what model vehicle u own, i just read ur profile and im starting to think, dranged and howi are right... the fuck is your story bro? are u a spam bot or what.. nice user rating at 1 star BTW
Old 08-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Contributors

this is what happens with a 14 year old gets a computer and internet access
Old 08-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Banned

dude you dont need to know which model it is to give tips on airbox design-design applies to all engines
Old 08-25-2010, 06:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
this is what happens with a 14 year old gets a computer and internet access

diamond lets see pix of u and ur car w a timestamp, cuz seriously u gotta be kidding me
Old 08-25-2010, 06:34 PM
Contributors

dude you dont need to know which model it is to give tips on airbox design-design applies to all engines
ok guy here u go, this'll do the trick

it works on all engines its a ram air kit

I am designing a new airbox for my car--tips?-880194_toilet_paper_roll.jpg

next question plz
Old 08-26-2010, 02:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by skelevirus

diamond lets see pix of u and ur car w a timestamp, cuz seriously u gotta be kidding me
+1 LMAO
Old 08-26-2010, 09:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 550i jet black, Loaded
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N62B48

Don't let ignorant members stop you from a good thread. Unfortunately, not everyone gets to return their AFE intake, like me and many other members. I really appreciate some help to improve the hot air situation.
I been thinking the same thing how to custom the existing afe into something more useful, hopefully improve the "hot air" issue. You think we can use the existing AFE shield and have the fab shop make a copy using lighter or cooler materials such as carbon fiber? I'm thinking replacing AFE ram air with HKS mushoom ram air, which is smaller and flater, what do you think?
Thanks!
Old 08-26-2010, 09:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Here ya go
Old 08-26-2010, 10:40 AM
Contributors

Here's your R&D dude. Just shove a blower on your 555i and call it a day.
Attached Thumbnails I am designing a new airbox for my car--tips?-untitled-1.jpg  

Quick Reply: I am designing a new airbox for my car--tips?