E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

How would you fix the scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 ★ Alpine White

how would you fix these scratches? Wife won't take blame that she did this...

Old 06-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Senior Members

take off the panel sand it down and repaint it and clear it
Old 06-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I wouldn't either... lol Look on line for soft touch paint. I believe you can get it in spray cans. What you need to do is remove the trim panel and any attached pieces. Get you some wet sand/dry sand paper. I would start with 320, 400 and then 500. The 320 should remove most of the loose paint. Just keep it all under running water while your sanding it. Once the old paint is gone or feather back smooth go to the 400 paper and repeat but just enough until it feels smoother and repeat with the 500. Clean the part well with soap and water then dry, wipe it down well with a pre -cleaner solution and then spray your soft touch paint on it per the directions on the can. I would also check at NAPA they also sell a can of adhesion promoter. This would be a good idea to spray a coat of this on before the paint. Again, per the can directions. It will help tie it all together. Any more info PM me.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Heres a link to soft touch paint. http://www.alsacorp.com/products/sof.../softtouch.htm
What you want is something in a spray can. If you search I'm sure you will find. This particular product requires force drying but I' m sure you will get the idea.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Members

Just repainted mine. I used a plastic scraper to remove the bulk of the paint, and then I used alcohol pads to remove the rest, and it worked great. I have been so satisfied with the results now that I'm finished with the painting! I repainted 3/4 window switch panels (1 wasn't bad), the rear seat center console and the front center console. It makes the car look SO much better! I couldnt stand the flaking paint!! You might want to pick up door panel clips before starting. Several of mine broke when taking off the door. You can get 20 on eBay for under $10. Just search BMW door panel clips and you'll get a ton of results. Good luck!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by soccerfro22
Just repainted mine. I used a plastic scraper to remove the bulk of the paint, and then I used alcohol pads to remove the rest, and it worked great. I have been so satisfied with the results now that I'm finished with the painting! I repainted 3/4 window switch panels (1 wasn't bad), the rear seat center console and the front center console. It makes the car look SO much better! I couldnt stand the flaking paint!! You might want to pick up door panel clips before starting. Several of mine broke when taking off the door. You can get 20 on eBay for under $10. Just search BMW door panel clips and you'll get a ton of results. Good luck!
can you post up some pictures?
Old 06-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Heres a link to soft touch paint. http://www.alsacorp....h/softtouch.htm
What you want is something in a spray can. If you search I'm sure you will find. This particular product requires force drying but I' m sure you will get the idea.
thanks bud
Old 06-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Senior Members

does this part of the window controllers come off after I take the door panel off? I taking the door off before, but didn't bother to look at that part.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:07 AM
Senior Members

One of the main things that cause the paint to peel are the oils in your hands etc. Suntan lotions and sunscreens can cause a lot of damage, and hand sanitizer. This is actually one of the durability tests that is required. Basically, small drops of lotion is applied to the test panels on a time schedule and allowed to sit. After a certain amount of time its wiped clean and the spots are evaluated. Ban-sole, I don't recall the name exactly of the lotion but this was the one that is used per the test standard. It's a popular European brand. They also look at other brands that are common in the areas. If you purchased your car new then pay attention to how the drivers left hand is sitting. Some keep their hands directly on those switches. And of course what is on the hands. It could be other lotions such as perfumed based lotions or hand cleaner and even hand sanitizer. This stuff is not good for the paints in our cars. Another area of problem is the paint on the shifter. Very similar issue.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by SD5Series
can you post up some pictures?
Yeah, I'll post some pics when I get a chance - my interior is black, though. Unfortunately I don't have before and after pics - I meant to get some and forgot to until I had already removed the part and stripped the paint.

Yes, you must remove the door panel. It's held on at a couple of places on the back side. After you remove the part you'll have to remove the window electrical piece prior to painting which is "plastic welded" in place and is easily removed by cutting it loose with an exacto knife. Next you have to pop it loose from tabs that hold it in place. I glued it back together with some plastic contact adhesive (I used "professional welder" bought from lowes). You'll also need to get something (somebody) to hold the door panel up while disconnecting the wires - I used jack stands. In the process of doing this project I noticed that the long plastic piece that connects the door panel to the door at the top portion of the panel was coming loose from the glue. I used the same glue as mentioned before to glue this piece back down and it worked pretty well. This will keep it from rattling and having gaps at the top of the panel.

Quick Reply: How would you fix the scratches?