E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

How would I turn my eisenmann into a quad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbae1978
you will lose power with ANY quad set up for a non m :thumbsdown:

what if you used 1 muffler but split the two tips coming out into an X pipe running to single inlet double outlet tips in the back?

This is what I want to accomplish with my 530i. Will this lose horsepower even though its still 1 muffler?

Old 05-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2013 535i xDrive AW/Black M-kit

Originally Posted by Howitzer
what if you used 1 muffler but split the two tips coming out into an X pipe running to single inlet double outlet tips in the back?

This is what I want to accomplish with my 530i. Will this lose horsepower even though its still 1 muffler?
Old 05-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I SMG

I know everyone here states that quad setups will lose horsepower and based on common knowledge of exhaust system backpressure, I can understand how you'd lose low-end power, which everyone talks about, however how about the top-end? In theory wouldn't the quad setup provide better top-end performance than a more restrictive single-sided exhaust system with higher backpressure? Does anyone have empirical data to support that a quad setup would indeed impair performance throughout the entire power band?

Also, couldn't one achieve the same or close to stock backpressure by using different exhaust tube diameters and lengths to create the backpressure needed to retain low-end performance? It just seems that it is quite a bold statement to say that with any quad setup, you'll lose power. Personally it sounds like there just hasn't been a quad setup that has been developed correctly, unless of course we have data to support these claims.

Anyone?
Old 05-12-2010, 08:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by socale39
I know everyone here states that quad setups will lose horsepower and based on common knowledge of exhaust system backpressure, I can understand how you'd lose low-end power, which everyone talks about, however how about the top-end? In theory wouldn't the quad setup provide better top-end performance than a more restrictive single-sided exhaust system with higher backpressure? Does anyone have empirical data to support that a quad setup would indeed impair performance throughout the entire power band?

Also, couldn't one achieve the same or close to stock backpressure by using different exhaust tube diameters and lengths to create the backpressure needed to retain low-end performance? It just seems that it is quite a bold statement to say that with any quad setup, you'll lose power. Personally it sounds like there just hasn't been a quad setup that has been developed correctly, unless of course we have data to support these claims.

Anyone?

well said. i think thats what i was trying to say haha
Old 05-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I SMG

I'll start a new thread with this question and we'll see where it goes from there
Old 05-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Members

I turned my hamann dual into a quad........the right side will not have a muffler since there is not enough space....i think there is a scondary battery down there somewhere.....obviously the right will sound slightly louder without mufflers.......def loss of low end torque due to lack of backpressure.....imho i feel the car flows a little better after 90mphs?......
Old 05-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Contributors

I'm not feeling the loss of power