E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

How to replace angel eyes lamp?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 09:02 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 550i, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Spoiler, Tints, NAV, AUX Input, Type 37 M Parallel Rims, Rear Euro Reflectors

Originally Posted by stream' post='207173' date='Dec 4 2005, 04:36 PM
Jeez...I wonder if it would be possible to scan this forum to see if this topic has been discussed before...you know, as if you were searching for something...

Posting & You

That link is fricking hilarious! Too bad I've been guilty of some dumb stuff, too.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:15 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know what is this?

How to replace angel eyes lamp?-led_angel_eyes_low_ir.jpg
Old 12-25-2005, 01:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i Alpine White, Grey Leather, Premium package, Cold Weather, 20% tints, M-tech M5 spoiler, ACS roof spoiler, 19inch Zeneitti Dueces, B&B Exhaust

Whats up do you no where i can pick up a pair? My friend has a e46 and he just had them installed and i love them!
Old 12-29-2005, 11:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by nforneas' post='207405
Jeez...I wonder if it would be possible to scan this forum to see if this topic has been discussed before...you know, as if you were searching for something...

Posting & You
Believe it or not I've tried that. Still couldn't find answer to my questions; what lamps?(manual says W5W and forum says H6W, and most especially how to reach the lamps...
[/quote]

I'm with you, infact i started a new thread cos the answer to the question doesnt seem to be in the search. I dont have Xenon's or adaptive lights, access to the bulbs seems straight forward to replace the W5W's with the H6W's.

My concerns are with error messages in that the computer might see a 6w bulb instead of a 5w. Do I need to chill...I dont think the answer is in the threads.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by nforneas' post='207145' date='Dec 4 2005, 11:28 PM
The manual mention W5W lamps and I thougt to change them by Philips Cool Blue lamps. Anyone tried this? How do I access the lamps. I RTFM but it is useless for this :-(
Done some digging, if your manual says W5W then you need to get the Philips Cool Blue W5W lamps. The coneectors between W5W's and H6W are completely different.

I'm going to replace my headlamps also with Cool Blue H7's. Ive been assured by www.powerbulbs.co.uk the the car thinks they are direct replacements so no errors, its the technology in the lamp which changes. Existing is halogen the new lamps are Xenon gas.

I'll post before and afters when I change them. Hope this helps...
Old 12-30-2005, 06:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by mixterk' post='217162
The manual mention W5W lamps and I thougt to change them by Philips Cool Blue lamps. Anyone tried this? How do I access the lamps. I RTFM but it is useless for this :-(
Done some digging, if your manual says W5W then you need to get the Philips Cool Blue W5W lamps. The coneectors between W5W's and H6W are completely different.

I'm going to replace my headlamps also with Cool Blue H7's. Ive been assured by www.powerbulbs.co.uk the the car thinks they are direct replacements so no errors, its the technology in the lamp which changes. Existing is halogen the new lamps are Xenon gas.

I'll post before and afters when I change them. Hope this helps...
[/quote]

Hey mixterk. Are you saying you're replacing your halogen bulbs with xenon gas bulbs? That can't work. Xenon gas bulbs are only used for HID lighting so you would need to do a full HID conversion. Xenon gas bulbs are powered by ballasts which ignite the gas. Can you please double check to see if these Cool Blue H7s aren't simply halogen bulbs with a blue coating on the bulbs?

Thanks for clarifying.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

[/quote]
Can you please double check to see if these Cool Blue H7s aren't simply halogen bulbs with a blue coating on the bulbs?
[/quote]

The Philips Cool Blue H7 is only a halogen bulb with a more blueish light!

mixterk knows what he is doing.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Cool. When he said "Existing is halogen new lamps are xenon gas" I thought he meant that his new Cool Blue bulbs are xenon gas filled.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:16 AM
Senior Members

Can you please double check to see if these Cool Blue H7s aren't simply halogen bulbs with a blue coating on the bulbs?
[/quote]

The Philips Cool Blue H7 is only a halogen bulb with a more blueish light!

mixterk knows what he is doing.
[/quote]

Hi Guys,

The H7 bulbs I'm buying give a Xenon effect, see how philips describe them..

Philips lead the way in quality Original Equipment products. Their latest products include Philips Vision Plus, for up to 50% more light on the road, and Philips Blue Vision - the ultimate HID xenon effect bulb

Interesting to note that the W5W side light bulbs are described as being Xenon filled and 100% compatible with existing W5W Halogen systems. Guy on the phone at Powerbulbs said "just swap no balasts needed"

This is philips blurb..

The advanced sidelights solution

At last we have matching colour temperature in the zone of HID (High Intensity Discharge) and H1 H4/H7 lamps, for a whiter and homogeneous light.This is the end of the yellowish position lamp/city lights.

High colour temperature of light (3300 K)
Xenon gas filling
Coated with a high temperature resistant varnish
Cooler and bluer light
Colour perfect fitting with H1 H4/H7 and HID lamps
Extended lifetime, twice as long as regular sidelights

So

I thought for ?48 I would give it a punt...as they say in the North East of England, "Shy bairns get nowt" If they dont work I will wing them back..no probs
Old 12-31-2005, 12:37 AM
Senior Members

Just fitted them, hard to tell in daylight, however they do look whiter than standard halogens. Box says 30% brighter. The lamps seem to be a hibrid between Holgen and xenon, the manufacturers box says that they are filled with Xenon, but instead of an ark burning between two electrodes as in a true Xenon, the new bulbs have a halogen style fillament.

Quick Reply: How to replace angel eyes lamp?