E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

How to pop the bumper off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the hood off, the trim off, and all the screws removed from the bumper. I just can't get the darned thing to release! Rudy's instructions say to push the bumper back to pop it loose from the "holders", but I am pushing like mad and can't figure out what's holding it (both sides). Anyone know the trick?
Old 02-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Low5' post='789930' date='Feb 10 2009, 08:50 PM
I've got the hood off, the trim off, and all the screws removed from the bumper. I just can't get the darned thing to release! Rudy's instructions say to push the bumper back to pop it loose from the "holders", but I am pushing like mad and can't figure out what's holding it (both sides). Anyone know the trick?
Yah, Know what ur talking about. Go to one side of your front lights. Take your light housing out if you know how to. This is to see the screws that attatch your front bumper to your side panels. You should see the line where the meet. (on the side) I think they are 4 screws and you can access them from your wheel well. Which alos needs to be removed. Once th 4 or screws are unscrewed, you can only then push in and it should relase. I dont have photoshop but they are attatched like two C's put together to make an S. One froward and one backwards. Maan, the more i try to explaing the more I think it dosent make sense. Tell me where and how many bolts you removed. I have removed my bumper 50+ times.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by NextLevel530xi' post='789956' date='Feb 11 2009, 10:15 AM
Yah, Know what ur talking about. Go to one side of your front lights. Take your light housing out if you know how to. This is to see the screws that attatch your front bumper to your side panels. You should see the line where the meet. (on the side) I think they are 4 screws and you can access them from your wheel well. Which alos needs to be removed. Once th 4 or screws are unscrewed, you can only then push in and it should relase. I dont have photoshop but they are attatched like two C's put together to make an S. One froward and one backwards. Maan, the more i try to explaing the more I think it dosent make sense. Tell me where and how many bolts you removed. I have removed my bumper 50+ times.
no need to take out the front head lights.
I saw my macanic take off my front bumper buy just undoing some screws on the top and the bottom and it just pops out. only took 10mins
Attached Thumbnails How to pop the bumper off?-241.png  
Old 02-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Members

I removed the 3 screws in each wheel well. The bottom two are 8mm, the top on is a 10mm.

Then I removed the 4 torx screws underneath the bumper.

Then I removed the 5 torx screws on top, under the weather stripping.

It sounds like this "S" thing you're talking about is where I'm stuck. Where do I push? I've pushed in front of the lights, on the side, near the edge. Nothing seems to be working.

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='789966' date='Feb 10 2009, 09:29 PM
no need to take out the front head lights.
I saw my macanic take off my front bumper buy just undoing some screws on the top and the bottom and it just pops out. only took 10mins
I just firgured that where No.18 is what I was talking about. Which I have been unscrewing 4 blots from. Now I think No,18 are two bolts for the bumper and the other two bolts next to them hold the black seperation piece? Im confused. I know their are 4 bolts on mine? Low 5, is that where it wont seperate? You said you got your hood off? You removed you hood?
Old 02-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Low5' post='789994' date='Feb 10 2009, 10:19 PM
I removed the 3 screws in each wheel well. The bottom two are 8mm, the top on is a 10mm.

Then I removed the 4 torx screws underneath the bumper.

Then I removed the 5 torx screws on top, under the weather stripping.

It sounds like this "S" thing you're talking about is where I'm stuck. Where do I push? I've pushed in front of the lights, on the side, near the edge. Nothing seems to be working.

Thanks!
Right behind the crack, where the two pieces of you cars body meet. Their are screws which I think you have done. I removed them all cuz I didnt want to guess. Put your Hands in the wheel well and grab each panel with each hand pull the top panel while pushing IN the bottom panel(bumper)
Old 02-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Members

It's off! Thanks guys!

Now I see the foam behind it is broken, and the bumper itself has a warp to it....ugh.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Low5' post='790005' date='Feb 10 2009, 10:38 PM
It's off! Thanks guys!

Now I see the foam behind it is broken, and the bumper itself has a warp to it....ugh.
Might have been due to pulling or pushing the wrong way too many times? The fun part is aligning it back to make it look they exact way when you took it off. GL
Old 02-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by NextLevel530xi' post='789996' date='Feb 11 2009, 11:19 AM
You said you got your hood off? You removed you hood?
no did not touch the bonnet.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='790093' date='Feb 11 2009, 01:17 AM
no did not touch the bonnet.
I think he was talking to me. Yes, I took the hood off. It was a crumpled mess. Waiting for the new one to arrive.

Quick Reply: How to pop the bumper off?