E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

how much for a ULF module?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 11:34 PM
MEX
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, so i'm trying to retrofit bluetooth (i know i know a lot has been said about it) and my Service manager told me that here cars come without TCU or ULF, but all i had to buy was the ULF module and it would work.

So now im wondering, can i use a ULF from another BMW model (e46, x5, etc) ? maybe a used one, ive seen those pretty cheap on ebay, but i just dont know if they are the same part.

If not, does anyone know how much is a ULF module? i think im getting a fair deal at 550 dlls, but who knows?!

tnks
Old 04-28-2005, 11:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

what's a ULF if you dont mind me asking?
Old 04-29-2005, 06:18 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

ULF is the Bluetooth module in most other BMWs but not our cars. For the E60, if you have a pre-March 2004 build, you need a new TCU which will run anywhere from $1500 - $2000 depending on your dealers part cost. Not a cheap project ... I was thinking to do it before myself but instead of that I'm doing the Aero kit upgrade
Old 04-29-2005, 08:06 PM
MEX
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='Apr 29 2005, 08:18 AM
ULF is the Bluetooth module in most other BMWs but not our cars. For the E60, if you have a pre-March 2004 build, you need a new TCU which will run anywhere from $1500 - $2000 depending on your dealers part cost. Not a cheap project ... I was thinking to do it before myself but instead of that I'm doing the Aero kit upgrade
[snapback]121881[/snapback]
mmm no not really. My dealer told me that since i DONT have NAV, i could just snap the ULF module, which is A LOT cheaper than the tcu module, infact the kit that bmw is selling here if you want to set a phone in the car comes withh the ULF.

quoting this post by fmusbmw:

ULF (Universal Handsfree System
The ULF is a ?poor man?s? TCU. It has no transceiver, can?t provide emergency calls or service data call.

The ULF perform the following tasks?
? Interface with audio computer (CCC/MASK) to mute during call and route phone audio to speakers.
? Voice recognition for phone features (unconfirmed)
? Translate Idrive/Steering wheel/Audio Commands into phone actions
? Transfer phone book from BT Phone to Idrive
? Control the charging of a phone/handset in the Eject Box (only if necessary for battery and if E60 has enough power to perform task)

The ULF/TCUs use the same wiring connectors in TCU/ULF and at the Eject Box locations. The ULF uses a subset of the signals (it doesn?t need the emergency/service signals). The BMW documentation doesn?t indicate if the wiring is identical and unused in the ULF or if the wiring harnesses are different. The USA and EURO TCUs use identical wiring *EXCEPT* for the signals between the TCU and Eject box used in the USA for V60-TCU communication and Euro: SIMreader-TCU communication, these signal are however transmitted on different wires of the 54pin connector (TCU end) which implies that BMW only has one universal wiring harness.

so in some countries where you do not have NAV or even TCU, you can get the ULF module and the phone will work, the only throwback is that you cannot use the emergency calls feature or hook the phone with the antenna, but since i dont have NAV and im going to use it for bluetooth, it works for me.

Anyway, im going to have it installed on monday, so if anyone is interested in this ill keep you informed
Old 04-30-2005, 06:51 AM
Members
Senior Members

Hmmm...interesting!! Yes please keep us informed of your installation and if it works or not. I've not heard of this before!
Old 04-30-2005, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='Apr 30 2005, 10:51 AM
Hmmm...interesting!! Yes please keep us informed of your installation and if it works or not. I've not heard of this before!
[snapback]122223[/snapback]
Lomag, you need to stop by and visit us more often...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...indpost&p=99910
Old 04-30-2005, 07:42 AM
Members
Senior Members

Hmm... so what's the difference between the ULF and normal TCU bluetooth? I think I missed an entire months worth of revelations (March), heh.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm not entirely sure. The TCU document (found in this post) doesn't talk about the ULF and BT much. I'm thinking that the TCU is sort of the brains behind many functions but the ULF is what provides the BT functionality.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:24 AM
MEX
Senior Members

yes, the document sounds about right Rudy, thanks it will be very helpful!

They're installing the ULF only (about 600 dlls), it seems that the ulf controls only the BT functions, and the TCU controls many other functions.
Since im not paying for the install, and i need the new software installed, i dont think its a bad price.

I will keep you informed on this.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:04 PM
MEX
Senior Members

ok Lomag, the ULF module is working now and my bluetooth phone is fully compatible. My car is a 6/04 production model.

I didn't have a TCU in my car, i don't have NAV and all i had to do is buy the ULF and update the car's software.

Yes, i can make and end calls and my phone transfers the phonebook automatically. The voice commands work great.

No, i can't dial names without "teaching them" to the car first, but i knew that, since i dont have NAV.

So to all of you looking for a bluetooth answer but the TCU cost way out of your league (and you dont have NAV) then you should consider just setting the ULF.

The module's price was about $500 dlls and they charged me $80 for labour.

I hope this info is helpful

tnx

Quick Reply: how much for a ULF module?