E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

How hard is it to swap the rear bumpers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I've made a tentative deal on an OEM m-tech rear bumper, but the bump I've hit is actually swapping the bumpers. The seller is local and all I need to do is basically take off both bumpers - mine and his. Install his M-tech on my car and and my regular OEM on his. Both bumpers are OEM, cars are same production runs (pre lci), both have PDC.

From what I've been able to find, it is a pretty much straight swap.

1. Definitely don't know if I should take it on, bc my experience with body work is minimal.

2. Don't know how easy it is to mess something up - obviously don't want to even go there.

3. Not sure if PDC plugs are the same or some modifications to harnesses might be required. But I'm pretty sure they should all be the same.

Will appreciate any and all advice, guys!

TIA
Old 11-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Senior Members

Well if you mess up .....then well you owe him a new bumper...you need a new bumper....tons of $$$ wasted...HEY GOOD LUCK! DONT MESS UP! .
Old 11-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
Well if you mess up .....then well you owe him a new bumper...you need a new bumper....tons of $$$ wasted...HEY GOOD LUCK! DONT MESS UP! .
I mess it up, you owe me the cost of the new bumper for jinxing me beeyoootch!

Old 11-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

I recently taken off my rear bumper for repaint on some scrathes I have. It is pretty easy. There are 4 torx screws, 2 on each corner inside the trunk. It is right below the taillights. About 5 small self tapping screws under the fenders close to the edges running down the fender. There is also a plastic rivet under the corner edge of bottom of the bumper and fender. There is also 2 more plastic rivets under the bumper towards the middle of the middle bottm bumper. On the right bottom side there are plastic nuts covering the battery holder.
First start taking off the small self tapping screws on the side edge of the bumper under the fenders. next take off the 4 palstic rivets under the bumper. Next, take off the battey holder plastic cover under the right side. On the bottom middle part of the bumper there is a strip of plastic that hold the bottom bumper. It is a snap lock. Use a small screww driver to unlock the snap locks. next pull the side of the bumper outward, it will unlock the snap locks on the upper portion of the side of the bumper. Rememeber the 4 torx screws take all of it off. Make sure you have someone to hold the bumper when you are loosening the torx screws. Now you can pull the bumper out.
I hope this help. GL
Old 11-19-2010, 12:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by al_ongvano
I recently taken off my rear bumper for repaint on some scrathes I have. It is pretty easy. There are 4 torx screws, 2 on each corner inside the trunk. It is right below the taillights. About 5 small self tapping screws under the fenders close to the edges running down the fender. There is also a plastic rivet under the corner edge of bottom of the bumper and fender. There is also 2 more plastic rivets under the bumper towards the middle of the middle bottm bumper. On the right bottom side there are plastic nuts covering the battery holder.
First start taking off the small self tapping screws on the side edge of the bumper under the fenders. next take off the 4 palstic rivets under the bumper. Next, take off the battey holder plastic cover under the right side. On the bottom middle part of the bumper there is a strip of plastic that hold the bottom bumper. It is a snap lock. Use a small screww driver to unlock the snap locks. next pull the side of the bumper outward, it will unlock the snap locks on the upper portion of the side of the bumper. Rememeber the 4 torx screws take all of it off. Make sure you have someone to hold the bumper when you are loosening the torx screws. Now you can pull the bumper out.
I hope this help. GL
Well LOL if it doesn't help, I'm sure it is only because I'm not yet fully comprehending the process without actually seeing it.

Can you tell me a couple of more things:

scale of 1-10, how hard?

how long did it take you?

do you think this operation would go by a lot faster if the car is on a lift?

what (if any) were the hidden complications? any surprises?

Thank you for the step-by-step! And Thanks to everyone who helps (KHAN! )

The upside is, I'm pretty sure that I now know more about installation of this bumper than the 2 or 3 body shops and installers I talked to yesterday seemed to know. Still unsure whether to attempt this
Old 11-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

its freaking easy V. Scale from 1-10.. 10 being the hardest, its a 2-3. Just gotta have the right tools. Mainly 8 MM socket and that's it. (I might be off on the 8MM socket).

And you dont need a lift, just some cardboard to get down on the floor.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:09 AM
Contributors

I think the PDC holes are different after 2008 - but not absolutely certain. If your cars are both the same vintage that gotcha should be gone! But it wouldn't hurt to double check (measure twice - cut once)!
Old 11-19-2010, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Well LOL if it doesn't help, I'm sure it is only because I'm not yet fully comprehending the process without actually seeing it.

Can you tell me a couple of more things:

scale of 1-10, how hard?

how long did it take you?

do you think this operation would go by a lot faster if the car is on a lift?

what (if any) were the hidden complications? any surprises?

Thank you for the step-by-step! And Thanks to everyone who helps (KHAN! )

The upside is, I'm pretty sure that I now know more about installation of this bumper than the 2 or 3 body shops and installers I talked to yesterday seemed to know. Still unsure whether to attempt this
In the scale of 1-10, I'll say 3
It took me about 30 minutes, the hardest part is taking off the 4 plastic rivets under the bumper. They are stuborn. I damage does rivets and I replace them. I went to the dealer and got them for about 90 cents a piece.
Don't need to lift the car.
No complications I encountered. Since you have a PDC, when you are about to pull it out track your PDC wire where you can disconnect them.
If you are going to do this, PM me and I'll give you my #, I'll be glad to help you do it step by step.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Check my signature, there's a DIY pdf link I made some time ago. This will give you an idea what's involved.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:37 AM
Contributors

Don't forget to do a few headspins while you've got the cardboard box on the floor.

p.s. This is a great excuse to make a photo logged DIY haha

GL with the process.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to swap the rear bumpers?