E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

How to get Clear front reflectors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the look of the clear front reflectors but here in the states its orange. I have noticed that some people have changed this but the reflector is in the headlight assembly and seems difficult to change to clear. Can this be requested when your car is being ordered?

Peace
Old 04-07-2005, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

You can't order the car in the US with anything other than the amber reflectors in front.

You could replace the entire headlight assembly with Euro spec ones to give you the clear reflectors but that would be awful expensive just for a small change.

I suppose another alternative is to see if someone in Europe will trade you. A while back this discussion came up and it seemed that some people in Europe wished they had the amber reflectors (go figure). The downside is you'd be without headlights while the swapped parts are being shipped...
Old 04-07-2005, 11:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by Rix Mix' date='Apr 7 2005, 11:20 PM
I like the look of the clear front reflectors but here in the states its orange. I have noticed that some people have changed this but the reflector is in the headlight assembly and seems difficult to change to clear. Can this be requested when your car is being ordered?

Peace
[snapback]112739[/snapback]
I was only thinking the other day how I like the way BMW have done the orange front indicators/reflectors on the american models. Sort of orange underneath the clear lens set up whereas before on the E39 the outer lens was all orange.
I would stick with them as they look well cool
Old 04-08-2005, 01:58 AM
Members

Hi

I bought some Genuine Xenon Retrofit headlights on eBay from the following guy (very good): -

http://stores.ebay.com/RoverActive_BMW-5-6...1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

As I recall he can get clear lensed headlights (both xenon and halogen) which would be a doddle to replace as you simply unclip your current lens' and put the new clear lensed ones in.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, except that it would cost over $1500.00 just to get clear lenses.

Here's an idea -- a group of interested forum members all pitch in and buy one set of clear (or amber) Xenons. That set can be shipped around as the "spare" set to facilitate swapping between Euro and US members. (Okay, I realize that the idea is a bit silly but you have to admit, it would work...)
Old 04-08-2005, 05:20 AM
Contributors

...when I get my E60 (or E63) this fall, I am doing the swap, i hate the amber reflectors, the worse part is that i believe you have to take the front bumper off, so i'll have it done when i do the M-sport conversion since the nose will already be off, .... just an added cost for the US cars that we have to take

...and its such BS as there is no law in NY that im aware of that requires the amber, my car doesnt have any amber on it and i've never had a problem...
Old 04-08-2005, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

The law is a federal one. The US DOT dictates that all of our cars have amber instead of clear. Because it's a federal law, the New York cops aren't going to bother nor are they going to notice such a thing -- unless they're trying to add charges to some other offense, that is...
Old 04-08-2005, 08:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

The M3 cars being sold in the USA have clear turnsignals with amber bulbs. Take a look.

BMW USA M3 photo

It is not a euro model pic, either. I've noticed this in the local BMW showroom. The M has clear corners.

The standard 3 series have amber lens, but the M3 has clear lens. They could not do this if there was a law against it.... so somehow they got around it.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Apr 8 2005, 12:08 PM
The M3 cars being sold in the USA have clear turnsignals with amber bulbs.? Take a look.

BMW USA M3 photo

It is not a euro model pic, either.? I've noticed this in the local BMW showroom.? The M has clear corners.

The standard 3 series have amber lens, but the M3 has clear lens.? They could not do this if there was a law against it.... so somehow they got around it.
[snapback]112945[/snapback]
They got around it because they slapped a big old amber reflector on the bumper! The US regulations specify that there is a passive amber reflector at the front corner of the car...
Old 04-08-2005, 10:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Ahhhhh... I see.

Quick Reply: How to get Clear front reflectors?