E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

How easy is to retrofit a sunroof on an E60?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 05:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Hacking at the roof of a car DOES alter the cars structural integrity. There is no way I'd try this as a DIY and I have yet to see an aftermarket sunroof install that didn't cause problems after the fact.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: M6 F06
Model Year: 2013

Thank you all for your input. I believe this mod is no-go!
although this is the roof i was going to buy
Attached Thumbnails How easy is to retrofit a sunroof on an E60?-img_1551.jpg  
Old 03-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

The only possibility you have with a factory sunroof would be to take that entire roof you took the pic of and cut it off at the pillars and then install it on your car. The opening for the sunroof on the body is not just a simple cutout, the metal around the opening is structured a certain way for the sunroof itself. The only other option I know of is one you would find as a non oem. A simple pop up or pop out. I wouldn't do it though...
Old 03-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Hold up - I didn't know you were replacing the entire roof, I thought you were going to cut into your existing one.

It could be done but its definitely not a DIY. There would be alot of welding involved and then paint-matching. There is still no guarantee you won't have any problems.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Senior Members

That was the deal from the begining. Replace the whole thing. All oem.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Ok, back to the original question. Yes, it's possible to remove the entire roof at the A & C pillars and swap it with yours. Obviously welding, body finishing and repainting is required. I can't imagine anyone doing this that does not have the required experience. But if they do, then yes it can be done. I've seen it before where the roof has been entirely replaced, the entire front and rear clips and the entire side clips by professionals. If I could give you mine I would, I never use it and I think the car is a little quieter without it.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Ok, back to the original question. Yes, it's possible to remove the entire roof at the A & C pillars and swap it with yours. Obviously welding, body finishing and repainting is required. I can't imagine anyone doing this that does not have the required experience. But if they do, then yes it can be done. I've seen it before where the roof has been entirely replaced, the entire front and rear clips and the entire side clips by professionals. If I could give you mine I would, I never use it and I think the car is a little quieter without it.
would this affect the overall structure of the car ?
Old 03-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Contributors

It's so easy even a child could do it
Attached Thumbnails How easy is to retrofit a sunroof on an E60?-fake.jpg  
Old 03-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by drantispy
would this affect the overall structure of the car ?
It depends. From the pic it looks like there are support beams that connect both sides of the car together. If the roof is just a metal sheet then it could be just welded on top and structural integrity will be maintained.

Only way to know for sure is to take the roof off both cars and compare.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Senior Members

The roofs are different in structure and you would have to cut it at the pillars. Besides, if the roof had to be replaced for some reason, this is where they would probably do it. To skin the roof would be crazy. When the car it produced at the factory this is how the roof is put on, at the pillars.

Quick Reply: How easy is to retrofit a sunroof on an E60?