E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

homemade scoop...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostteck' post='821311' date='Mar 19 2009, 02:55 PM
man you people are mean lol weres the love? lol its more like a around here.. i mean yea the rpi scoop is only $99 but they also started somewhere.... everyone starts somewhere and they probably did the same thing but said hey lets make it more astecically pleasing and what not.... i mean even bodyshops have to start somewhere and practice before they get good... just saying
I dunno, ripping off someone else's ideas and using a flower pot is pretty insulting... Im just saying... I can assure you that they did NOT use a random piece of plastic... I mean I guess if you are happy with guessing the benefits and quality of airflow through a flower pot, then More power too you...
Old 03-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

What does being cheap have to do with anything? Im not knocking on RPI or any of the diyers, I am simply stating my opinons. Firstly, Im not intrested in "increasing 4-5 hp" from this mod, imo its a useless mod whether its diy or rpi. Point I am trying to make is, props to the people making their own, and companies are OBVIOUSLY going to knock them down, talk smack and give "facts" on how diy scoops will cause lose in performance . Its not like our cars are 747s going 400km/h that air is going to cause disturbance. Air enters the duct behind the headlight, with the scoop the air is better directed towards the intake. How on earth is a "disturbance" caused whether the scoop is poorly designed? Thats just a gimmick, just like the "tornado" fuel saver thing that goes inside the intake tubes which helps the air move in a proper mannor. The whole system was soon knocked down, as it was complete bs.

I will do a base run, than a run with one or 2 different $2 scoops to prove results will be either the same, or a few hp gain, but highly doubt a decrease. In all fairness, yes you are trying to sell a product, I know RPI is a very ruputable company, again I am not knocking on you or your products. I could careless if tom dick or harry saw the result$$$ of the scoops. I will post non biased results once I can
Old 03-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mchamner' post='821367' date='Mar 19 2009, 02:21 PM
I dunno, ripping off someone else's ideas and using a flower pot is pretty insulting... Im just saying... I can assure you that they did NOT use a random piece of plastic... I mean I guess if you are happy with guessing the benefits and quality of airflow through a flower pot, then More power too you...
I find it funny you have 4 posts, you just joined today, and all your posts are to do with scoops and rpi. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM hahaha fake account?
Old 03-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

Originally Posted by tbal' post='821405' date='Mar 19 2009, 03:02 PM
What does being cheap have to do with anything? Im not knocking on RPI or any of the diyers, I am simply stating my opinons. Firstly, Im not intrested in "increasing 4-5 hp" from this mod, imo its a useless mod whether its diy or rpi. Point I am trying to make is, props to the people making their own, and companies are OBVIOUSLY going to knock them down, talk smack and give "facts" on how diy scoops will cause lose in performance . Its not like our cars are 747s going 400km/h that air is going to cause disturbance. Air enters the duct behind the headlight, with the scoop the air is better directed towards the intake. How on earth is a "disturbance" caused whether the scoop is poorly designed? Thats just a gimmick, just like the "tornado" fuel saver thing that goes inside the intake tubes which helps the air move in a proper mannor. The whole system was soon knocked down, as it was complete bs.

I will do a base run, than a run with one or 2 different $2 scoops to prove results will be either the same, or a few hp gain, but highly doubt a decrease. In all fairness, yes you are trying to sell a product, I know RPI is a very ruputable company, again I am not knocking on you or your products. I could careless if tom dick or harry saw the result$$ of the scoops. I will post non biased results once I can
ok then also buy an RPI scoop and do the same..for $100 5-7 whp is cheap
Old 03-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Contributors

I am just saying the 5-7hp because thats why I have been reading. I highly doubt that, more like 1-2 imo. I know some of you guys are friends, so dont take anything personally, I am just posting my opinons, dont flame me now
Old 03-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tbal' post='821411' date='Mar 19 2009, 03:06 PM
I am just saying the 5-7hp because thats why I have been reading. I highly doubt that, more like 1-2 imo. I know some of you guys are friends, so dont take anything personally, I am just posting my opinons, dont flame me now
If you just want the look of a scoop, then by all means go for it...I think its more if you are expecting to get performance out of the DIY, thats another story
Old 03-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Contributors

I will do a base run, than a run with one or 2 different $2 scoops to prove results will be either the same, or a few hp gain, but highly doubt a decrease. In all fairness, yes you are trying to sell a product, I know RPI is a very ruputable company, again I am not knocking on you or your products. I could careless if tom dick or harry saw the result$$$ of the scoops. I will post non biased results once I can

I disagree with the gimmick part. If $100 adds 5-7 whp then thats a good gain for not much money. A good exhaust will run $600-$2000 and maybe give you 15-20 whp. An ecu reflash is $500 and that gives you 15-20 whp

$100 for lets say 6 whp is something that is designed correctly.

I dont know the physics behind it, thats not the point. The point is this is PROVEN to work. If yours does the same thing then you have something going. Being as that RPI went through various designs that didnt do anything, or worse actually decreased whp, then you have a hard road of design.

$2? Id rather buy some taco bell with it.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tbal' post='821411' date='Mar 19 2009, 03:06 PM
And so far RPI seems like one of the reputable companies that will not lie about numbers..unlike AFE...RPI is always willing to back up what they say
Old 03-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Contributors

Old 03-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SoCalBimmer' post='821415' date='Mar 19 2009, 03:10 PM
And so far RPI seems like one of the reputable companies that will not lie about numbers..unlike AFE...RPI is always willing to back up what they say
As I said "I know RPI is a very ruputable company, again I am not knocking on you or your products"

Quick Reply: homemade scoop...