E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

High End (maybe Active), install advice - E60, ipod, amps, subs etc

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 12:36 AM
wtf
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 530i Daily Porsche 986S Convertible Weekend

Hi guys,

Im only new to the forums, and actually have just bought my first 5 series.. I've owned a few other bmw's in the past (E92 M3 V8, E65 735i, and now the E60 530i)..

Just after a bit of advice. I figure since you folk have the same car, plenty have done some decent sound systems and such. I have a couple of different questions relating to the stereo, and some not specific to the E60, but general audio expert help.

The car currently has the 'business' nav, small screen, single dash load CD and glovebox 6 disk stacker.

My aims are:

1) Sound quality
2) Lots of bass on hand if im in the mood
3) MP3, Ipod and the usuals

I have bought the following items for my car. It is being installed into a 2004 E60 BMW 530i:

Rockford Fosgate T400-4 (4x100w rms amplifier)
Rockford Fosgate T600-4 (4x150w rms amplifier)
Rockford Fosgate T1500-BD (1x1500w rms amplifier)
Rockford Fosgate T2-12 12in subwoofer
2x Earthquake SWS-8 Subwoofers (to be used as midbass drivers)
Morel Hybrid Ovation II 4in front split speakers
Morel Tempo 4in rear coaxial speakers
MTX REQ-5 Equaliser (to allow interface with the standard sound system)
Soundstream SC20-CA 20 Farad Hybrid digital capacitor

My intention is to shoot for loud but still obviously wanting SQ (thus the high end equipment).

Since the Earthquake SWS is a direct bolt in replacement, I bought a pair of those, and a pair of spacers from these forums. The MTX REQ-5 is to allow the aftermarket amps to interface with the standard stereo.

I have been toying with the idea of going for an active system, which as I understand it (correct me if I am wrong?), is to have an amplifier for each band, eg Sub, Mid, Treble. As such I bought enough amplifiers to support this setup. However a hybrid system half way to active may be easier to set up and allow more power for the midbass drivers.

My idea is:

Obviously I could have done the above without the 2nd 4 ch amp (and just using a 2ch), but in case I choose active I figure that I may was well get the extra channels at my disposal. I also wasnt sure where the big sub should be crossed over, but I guessed around 50hz, and let the midbass amp take over for 30-200hz?

I have very little experience with how to get the best sound out of a system, and in the past my aims been merely just getting it crazy loud, but this time I want it to sound brilliant. The big T2-12 (the speaker alone weights around 20kg/44lbs) is no doubt overkill, but it sure makes the world shake . I used to have this in the boot of my 7 series, and it was quite crazy.

The other option I was toying with is to amplify the tweets, mids, mid bass and sub all off separate amp channels (full active system), but I don't know if there is really that much advantage to that? The Morel splits are high end items (rrp around $600 for a pair of 4in splits) which i would expect are pretty well tuned, can adjusting the treble etc be good enough to increase/decrease the tweeter volume?

Does anyone happen to have the wiring diagram for interfacing the REQ5 into the standard head unit? Ie how do most of you guys get aftermarket amps into the system?

Lastly, the usual question of 'can I get an iPod onto this car'.. Well after a lot of searching, I have found the following options:

1) BMW Ipod integration (quoted at $850 AUD - around $880 USD from Brisbane BMW)
2) Dension Gateway 500 (priced around $500 AUD, plus installation and reflashing of car)

I have not yet had a chance to get the car re-flashed yet, to see whether I can run MP3s, but I am not holding my breath on that, its a 2004 model but BMW mentioned it was built late 2003. I have read mixed reviews about whether these can ever run MP3, whether they get text capable, and so forth. I have also heard a few people say the Dension unit will only work if its MP3 compatible, and in all my searching I have found it difficult to get a definitive answer. It seems some people say these things are impossible, and other people say they work. So:

1) Can a very early E60 get MP3 working? (have many people succeeded in this? anyone in Australia?)
2) Can a very early E60 get Text display for MP3 working?
3) Can a Dension GW500 work on an early non-text compatible E60?

At this stage my plan would be to get BMW Brisbane to do a full flash update, then attempt the service guide for MP3 re-flash. If that allows MP3, then I will get the Dension, otherwise I am unsure.. BMW did mention the BMW iPod kit WILL work on my car, but the tracks will not display text, they will be CD1,2,3 etc and track 1,2,3 etc... So for a iPod kit to work, does that mean the car is MP3 capable?

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. I know some of my questions are similar to other people's, and yes I have searched, but I have fouhnd a lot of indecision from folk about these topics, so I am hoping to clarify them.

Mark
Old 10-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by wtf
1) Can a very early E60 get MP3 working? (have many people succeeded in this? anyone in Australia?)
2) Can a very early E60 get Text display for MP3 working?
Hi Mark,

Looks very impressive and well thought out.

1) - Yes, I've got one of the first M5's in the UK and enabled mp3 option via NCSEXPERT
2) - The current software level i'm running shows the CD that has MP3's in the same way that Windows would, file structure is identical.

Mark
Old 10-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Members

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...5-30-05-a.html

This guy is in Australia, might wanna hookup with him see what shop he used.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:25 PM
wtf
Members

Just got off the phone to Brisbane BMW, and holy crap, they want $500 AUD ($525 USD) to do the software update!!! W-T-F INDEED?!!?
Old 10-24-2011, 06:02 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by wtf
Just got off the phone to Brisbane BMW, and holy crap, they want $500 AUD ($525 USD) to do the software update!!! W-T-F INDEED?!!?

You only need a full software update if your car is incapable of being coded to play mp3 files. If you plan on getting either an iPod connection or AUX port installed the mp3 capability will also be part of that (it is part of the coding to get the iPod or AUX working anyway). I got an AUX port installed and now my car can play mp3's, without a full software update. Look for an indy shop that can do the coding for you. I watched them code mine, it was literally a couple of check boxes in the current software, the hard part is getting the coding computer.

By the way, for any other audio questions on our cars, we are fortunate to have 2 audio gurus here on the forums - contact either Nelson29 or MethodSound, both are exceptional when it comes to audio
Old 10-24-2011, 06:55 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

the big question is whether your car has logic 7 or not?
Old 10-24-2011, 07:36 AM
wtf
Members

Originally Posted by cleung
the big question is whether your car has logic 7 or not?

It does not..

The stereo sounds appalling.. Its ok at low volumes, but after 5 mins at full volume the speakers start to crackle.. Drives me insane. I have only had the car a couple of weeks, but collected all the items mentioned in my first post. Am hoping for good things

Thanks for the replies so far.. It appears Brisbane BMW did not want to just "add" the mp3 coding, they are more or less insisting on a full software update.. I dont know what my options are here though. I tried to contact one place that says they have the Autologic system, but they are yet to actually get back to me, im not actually confident they know what is going on though - their site says 'autologic', but after calling them the guy sounded confused does not instill me with confidence.. Sigh..

Regards

Mark
Old 10-24-2011, 07:48 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

not sure what autologic is???

Anyways the reason I asked about the logic 7 is because it adds complications to what processor you end up installing and requires summing from the processor etc. Without logic 7 it is much easier and what you have seems to be a good start.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:54 AM
wtf
Members

Originally Posted by cleung
not sure what autologic is???

Anyways the reason I asked about the logic 7 is because it adds complications to what processor you end up installing and requires summing from the processor etc. Without logic 7 it is much easier and what you have seems to be a good start.
thanks..

the "autologic" is apparently something that allows independant service techs to add coding etc to bmw's etc.. I am purely going off what I read in this thread here: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...5-30-05-a.html as someone else recommended on this forum

My old 735i had logic 7, and the REQ-5 was used to intercept the factory signals. Seemed to work well. When I sold the 7, I kept the REQ.

Thanks again.. Am open to any suggestions from folks with more experience than I, and considering I have only had the car for a couple of weeks, that would make just about everyone

Mark
Old 10-25-2011, 07:16 AM
wtf
Members

Found a place in Brisbane area who is going to attempt the MP3 coding on my car.. $150... i'm not holding my breath but... wish me luck ...

Quick Reply: High End (maybe Active), install advice - E60, ipod, amps, subs etc