5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/)
-   -   HID's in place of H7 DRL's, pre-LCI (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/hids-place-h7-drls-pre-lci-89899/)

UncleFodder 11-26-2009 06:58 PM

I attempted a search on this, and didn't find anything conclusive.

I've read that the (pre-LCI) DRL's use H7 bulbs, run at a reduced voltage
as well as a reduced wattage. Is the conclusion that you can't fire a ballast
to run HID's in place of the DRL's? Has anyone tried?

How about a relay, fired by the DRL signal, that provides the full 12v to
some HID ballasts? Anyone try this instead?

Thanks,
Gary

BlaSTiWi 11-26-2009 07:16 PM

In that case the main question is will a relay function on a voltage less than 12v ... maybe but it'll have a minimum point ... anything less will probably not enough to make the coil in the relay to work and just buzz ... to be exact ... find out how much voltage the DRL use when its on then find a suitable relay and you'll be on your way.

Originally Posted by UncleFodder' post='1063445' date='Nov 26 2009, 09:58 PM
I attempted a search on this, and didn't find anything conclusive.

I've read that the (pre-LCI) DRL's use H7 bulbs, run at a reduced voltage
as well as a reduced wattage. Is the conclusion that you can't fire a ballast
to run HID's in place of the DRL's? Has anyone tried?

How about a relay, fired by the DRL signal, that provides the full 12v to
some HID ballasts? Anyone try this instead?

Thanks,
Gary

UncleFodder 11-26-2009 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='1063451' date='Nov 26 2009, 10:16 PM
In that case the main question is will a relay function on a voltage less than 12v ... maybe but it'll have a minimum point ... anything less will probably not enough to make the coil in the relay to work and just buzz ... to be exact ... find out how much voltage the DRL use when its on then find a suitable relay and you'll be on your way.

Agreed - the key will likely be the trigger voltage for a relay versus the output voltage to the DRL. I just wonder it I'm blazing a new trail here or has someone tried this yet... :thumbsup:

John@Motorcepts 11-26-2009 08:39 PM

relays will work for PRE-LCI Daytime running lights / high beams. LCI daytime running lights are angel eyes. When the stupid low beams r on, it runs less than 12V making the relay just buzz.

Rudy 11-26-2009 09:10 PM

What's LCI? :tease:

cleung 11-27-2009 06:29 AM

I'd be interested in this if it works, I hate how my DRL/high beams are.

John@Motorcepts 11-27-2009 01:14 PM

it works. but u need to remember that HIDs need to warm up before full brightness. And do not flash high beams. U cannot turn on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off and expect it to last.

UncleFodder 11-27-2009 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='1063803' date='Nov 27 2009, 04:14 PM
it works. but u need to remember that HIDs need to warm up before full brightness. And do not flash high beams. U cannot turn on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off and expect it to last.

I concur - I've got HID's in my C5 convertible Corvette's low beams and fogs, but left the high beams
as halogens. The warm-up time makes things scary if you are switching to highs and its pitch black
outside.

So John, just to clarify (all questions about pre-LCI): can I use the voltage directly from the DRL connector to fire a ballast,
or will a relay work being triggered from the DRL connector?

Thanks,
Gary