E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Hids or Lux H8 LED angel eyes..decisions???

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 01:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 535i 2010

I have been using hids angel eyes for 2 years on my 2010 535. I really like the brightest that matches my 6000k hids fogs. But hids has been giving me the headaches. It works for couple weeks then there is always some kinda problems will popped up. Tired of dealing with it. Just heard about the lux h8, anybody using this led right now? I wanted know is it good? Saw it on their site, it seems like less wirings so shouldn't be that much problem that will causes in the future..
Old 07-05-2012, 02:07 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue with HIDs and eventually went with LUX H8. For me they have been great. Obviously plug-n-play since they are just LEDs. I can't say much about errors on iDrive since I coded those away. I got LUX H8 as I planned on installing Orion v2s over the summer as all the LEDs I've tried simply don't cut it in direct sunlight.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:53 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 535i 2010

That's for the Infos. How bright is the led? I know hids are the brightest. From looking at the photos on their site, it seems pretty nice and bright.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:16 AM
Contributors

For LEDs they are the brightest I have tried thus far. However, from posts I found on here there are others that say for example MTEC V3 is brighter:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/119...s-6w-cree-led/

There is also a 20W one released by umnitza:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/124...-all-h8-xenon/
The design of that one actually is very similar to LUX. They say they are bright as HID in that thread.

Haven't tried those but many happy customers from what I have seen.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

Yes MTEC V3 is brighter. AND NOT WORRIES OF RESISTORS MELTING INSIDE THE HEADLIGHT! As a return customer, I can offer you a discount. PM me for details.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

There are many options out there and personally I went with the Lux H8 V3. I seen pictures of the Umnitza 20w led lights and am trying to drive up there to check them out since I live in the bay area. I know that there are a lot of pictures out there however I've noticed that they are usually in the shade or at night which make pretty much all AE lights look good. Here are a couple I took in the middle of the afternoon with my iphone. The Orion V2 or HID AE's will always be the brightest options out there however cutting open the light housing or dealing with extra wiring/ballast is not my cup of tea.
Attached Thumbnails Hids or Lux H8 LED angel eyes..decisions???-img_0219.jpg   Hids or Lux H8 LED angel eyes..decisions???-img_0223.jpg  
Old 07-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Honestly...I have had ZERO problems with my HID AE...and I absolutely love them. However...I think it might have something to do with the components that i'm using. I'm not using the Alpine kit nor Camross nor Motorcepts. I basically made my own HID AE kit using DDM/TRS components (minus my relay harness which is really generic).

Before I installed them I had Umnitza ICE LITE...which are nice...but with any LED AE's the outer ring shows signs of dimness. Unfortunately, this is related to the design of the headlights. With HID's...you don't have this problem...sure the inner ring may be slightly brighter then the outer but regardless of what angle you look at the headlights you will always notice that you see some light in the outer ring.

That being said, i'm curious to see how Umnitza's 20W LED's turn out. I Would never even consider LUX or any other 10W LED's ever again.

Thats my two cents for the day
Old 07-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009.5 E60 550i MSport 2011 E90 ///M3 ZCP

Originally Posted by John@Motorcepts
Yes MTEC V3 is brighter. AND NOT WORRIES OF RESISTORS MELTING INSIDE THE HEADLIGHT! As a return customer, I can offer you a discount. PM me for details.
Agree, the MTEC V3 is a relatively good product, the heatsink is beefy enough and the remote resistors can be located in a great location, no melting no nothing!