E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

HID Fog Flickering

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 12:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am new to this forum, I own a 05 545, I just installed today hid kit for my fogs and I have a problem, my fog light are flickering and one of them ( usually left one ) after few minutes shuts off. Its a supernova HID kit and I saw many posts saying that its a great kit with no error codes or any problems, can someone tell me what can i do to fix this ?

Thanks
Peter
Old 10-19-2008, 06:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by PiterNYC' post='696862' date='Oct 19 2008, 04:51 AM
Hi, I am new to this forum, I own a 05 545, I just installed today hid kit for my fogs and I have a problem, my fog light are flickering and one of them ( usually left one ) after few minutes shuts off. Its a supernova HID kit and I saw many posts saying that its a great kit with no error codes or any problems, can someone tell me what can i do to fix this ?

Thanks
Peter
If you've ensured all connections are secure it sounds like you have a faulty component. Unless it's possible to isolate the problem part (and I doubt this is reasonably possible) you should request a replacement kit. What is their warranty/replacement policy?
Old 10-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i

correct me if im wrong, but you might need canceller cables....your car thinks that the bulbs are blown out and doesnt send full power to those outlets..
Old 10-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Sunny 530i' post='697333' date='Oct 19 2008, 09:06 PM
correct me if im wrong, but you might need canceller cables....your car thinks that the bulbs are blown out and doesnt send full power to those outlets..
looks like I will need those cables but I dont understand why, supernova hid kit was not suppose to throw an error code, if anyone has that kit please let me know if you had same problem. is it possible to get canceller cables in any store, or they are just available online ?

Thanks
Old 10-20-2008, 12:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 03 BMW E60 520i - Steptronic - Black Sapphire - Style 116 wheels (Pirelli PZero Rosso) - PDC - Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Poplar Wood

Originally Posted by PiterNYC' post='697408' date='Oct 20 2008, 05:50 AM
looks like I will need those cables but I dont understand why, supernova hid kit was not suppose to throw an error code, if anyone has that kit please let me know if you had same problem. is it possible to get canceller cables in any store, or they are just available online ?

Thanks
If you bought the kit from Erick just drop him an email to inform him about the problem. I'm sure he will send you the cancellers for free, since he always take good care of his customers.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Judging from your post, I guess you bought it directly from a website. So, I'm not sure what exactly the problem is. It could be the connections, the cancelers, the ballast type or defects. Anyway, can you describe how the kit is connected or maybe a picture?
Old 10-20-2008, 06:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by PiterNYC' post='696862' date='Oct 19 2008, 03:51 AM

Thanks
Peter
Peter - try this, I believe your fog lights on an 05 are controlled by a fuse in your trunk. Some people with this problem had to replace a fuse from 5 amps to 25 amps which solved the problem. These lights require more power at start up and the increase in amps solved this problem.....the only problem is, Im not sure what fuse it is....your best bet would be to see which fuses are 5 amps, then do trial and error with a 25 amp fuse.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by PiterNYC' post='696862' date='Oct 19 2008, 04:51 AM

Thanks
Peter
I have the same problem. Try disconnecting the left fog light and see if the right one is still flickering. If it stop flickering, most likely it is a bad ballast. Erick from Elite is sending me a replacement ballast. I removed the one that was giving the error and the other one worked flawlessly.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 03 BMW E60 520i - Steptronic - Black Sapphire - Style 116 wheels (Pirelli PZero Rosso) - PDC - Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Poplar Wood

Do you have any problems with PDC when xenon fog lights are on?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kekkos' post='698114' date='Oct 20 2008, 03:59 PM
Do you have any problems with PDC when xenon fog lights are on?
I spoke to Erick from Elite Motorsport and he told me to disconnect left fog and see if the right one is still flickering, and it is it stays on all the time but still flickers. I have no problems with PDC at all after installation

Quick Reply: HID Fog Flickering