E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

HID AEs pissed me off... Whats next?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Actually, to clarify. When we spoke, I had personally seen it on 3 series headlights. Since then, I have seen it on pre-LCI E60s even with LEDs.
If you've only seen this on pre-lci E60's is it possible that maybe the sun might be causing the UV burn and not the LEDs? I feel like this might be possible if we're talking about a set of headlights that has had the sun beat on it for 6+ years. Though, either way the LED's can't be helping in this particular situation.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

MTEC V3 angel eyes fpr E60 H8 applications. No errors. PLUG AND PLAY!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by MORI3L
If you've only seen this on pre-lci E60's is it possible that maybe the sun might be causing the UV burn and not the LEDs? I feel like this might be possible if we're talking about a set of headlights that has had the sun beat on it for 6+ years. Though, either way the LED's can't be helping in this particular situation.
Hah, I guess I need to be really specific. It was the end of the optic ring that was damaged. So potentially, over a long run, it can mess up the end so much that it would obstruct light from being able to pass through properly (at all).

At that point you would have no choice but to take the damn thing apart.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Hah, I guess I need to be really specific. It was the end of the optic ring that was damaged. So potentially, over a long run, it can mess up the end so much that it would obstruct light from being able to pass through properly (at all).

At that point you would have no choice but to take the damn thing apart.
I was hoping that you would just agree lol.....well i guess that in theory i might still be causing some irreversible damage to my optics...only time will tell
Old 10-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

We offer the ICE LITE H8, it's the least expensive simplest drop in application on the market for $90. It's bright for daytime visiblity.

However, if you want to jump into the water, Orion V4

Old 10-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bazz530i
I have had HID AE's for 10 minutes when I decided this is not for me, way too bright for upcoming traffic, which we always have here in Holland and people will start to flash high beams at you. Cops will pull you over etc... I didn't want that and went for the Mtec 35W Super Whites. Same color as HID headlights and no problems at all.

Still in doubt though about the brighter and whiter LED's. Don't read much about the LUX H8 AE's anymore, anyone still using those?
Been running LUX H8 AE's for few months. Trouble free, subtle and just performs. Clean look. All 4 rings light up evenly when viewing direct. Any other angle outer rings dimmer. Good enough though. HID AE's been there done that.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by umnitza
We offer the ICE LITE H8, it's the least expensive simplest drop in application on the market for $90. It's bright for daytime visiblity.

However, if you want to jump into the water, Orion V4

I actually have this product...its what i used before I had HID AE...its definitely good for an LED...but like all LED's you can barely see the outer ring during the daytime. At night it looks really well proportioned tho.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Jason, the above are Orion v4s lol.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:13 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by MORI3L
I actually have this product...its what i used before I had HID AE...its definitely good for an LED...but like all LED's you can barely see the outer ring during the daytime. At night it looks really well proportioned tho.
Jason, the above are Orion v4s lol.
correct.

here's the ICE LITE:

Old 10-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took the plunge with LUX AEs instead of the going the HID route as originally planned. With the current backlog, I suppose I'll have them in hand and installed before the end of 2013

Quick Reply: HID AEs pissed me off... Whats next?