E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Hi, please suggest what can be added to my new purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 01:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 525d on an '04 plate

I am a very new owner so Hi first of all, well I'm technically not yet an owner as I pick my car up next week. I've bought a pretty standard '04 plate 525d, I love the look and drive of the car and can't wait until I finally have it! What I was wondering is if anyone can suggest anything I can get for the car? I know that's a very open question but I'm looking in the line of stuff for the i-drive etc or anything else really I suppose, I have about ?1k to spend. I'd like to have my ipod connected to it and I have my iPhone so if that can be connected it would be great, it's far from being top of the range, it doesn't have bluetooth (that I know of) and it doesn't have sat-nav and I'm not 100% if it has a cd changer!

Any suggestions on must-haves would be appreciated and if you know of any good websites to buy custom parts/accessories from, that would be helpful (if you're alowed to share them on here).

Anyway, buy for now.

Jason.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Welcome! You've come to the right place for mod suggestions.

I believe an iPod dock can be added, but you may have to have the system updated so it can play MP3s. Not sure how it works with non-iDrive models. A CD changer would be in the glove box. If you have it, an iPod dock could be a do-it-yourself job (after any dealer updates), as the unit replaces the changer.

There is plenty of info available, just do a search. Be sure to look for '04 info as those require more updates to make work. Same with bluetooth.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

to 5series.net.

First mod I'd get would be a set of fly wheels (but it seems that electronic mods are priority number 1 for you).

But if you want ipod compatibility, how about a Dension Gateway 500L http://www.dension.com/index.php?pageID=11
Old 11-15-2009, 08:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='1055114
to 5series.net.

First mod I'd get would be a set of fly wheels (but it seems that electronic mods are priority number 1 for you).

But if you want ipod compatibility, how about a Dension Gateway 500L http://www.dension.com/index.php?pageID=11
Fly wheels? I'll have a search for that, I don't know much about them, I'm going for electronics as I can normally do them myself, I assume that would be a harder job and I'd need a garage to do it? does it improve performance much?

In regards to the Dension, will this work with the i-drive regardless or do I have to have the cd changer/mp3 capability enabled? Had a look it's about ?350 on ebay, ouch, will be nice to have ipod control though!

Just a quick question, there is a million threads about it and have read lots and am still continuing to read them but it's the question about sat-nav retrofit, is it really possible to do it on an 04 plate? I understand that in '03 they were pre-wired for it so assume I don't have it but I have seen many people buy screen, drive and dash facia off flea-bay and successfully perform the procedure with certain updates from the dealers.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by jay2jay99' post='1055217' date='Nov 15 2009, 12:15 PM
Cheers, I have been reading through mods for a couple of days and have added several to my favourites for future reference. There is alot of info and I'm trying to learn all the terminology, but being my first BMW I know very little about them, it wasn't until about an hour ago I didn't know what a M-ASK was or a CCC was, I still don't know what MOST is and there are a list of acronyms as long as my arm I have to search on! When you say " Not sure how it works with non-iDrive models" are you implying I don't have i-drive? I thought this was just the screen or is it the sat-nav? See still confused It would seem that I might be at a disadvantage with the age of my BMW as most things/retrofits are only for newer models but I am still reading....

Fly wheels? I'll have a search for that, I don't know much about them, I'm going for electronics as I can normally do them myself, I assume that would be a harder job and I'd need a garage to do it? does it improve performance much?

In regards to the Dension, will this work with the i-drive regardless or do I have to have the cd changer/mp3 capability enabled? Had a look it's about ?350 on ebay, ouch, will be nice to have ipod control though!

Just a quick question, there is a million threads about it and have read lots and am still continuing to read them but it's the question about sat-nav retrofit, is it really possible to do it on an 04 plate? I understand that in '03 they were pre-wired for it so assume I don't have it but I have seen many people buy screen, drive and dash facia off flea-bay and successfully perform the procedure with certain updates from the dealers.
By "fly" wheels, I mean bigger, fancier wheels. If you want fancier OEM wheels, try Style 128, 166 (M5 wheels), 167 (M6 wheels), or 172 (550i Sport) wheels. If you want to break the bank and get the best aftermarket forged wheels, I like the Radenergie wheels the best (especially the R10s and RS10s). If you want to get reasonably priced cast wheels, my fav are the Bretyon Race GTS wheels, although Miro 935s and VMR V710s also look nice.

On the Dension Gateway 500, I would defer to those who have one. My 550i Sport is a 2009 and I got the iPod compatibility with the car so I don't need that. But many members have it and can answer your questions.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='1055238' date='Nov 15 2009, 06:15 PM
By "fly" wheels, I mean bigger, fancier wheels. If you want fancier OEM wheels, try Style 128, 166 (M5 wheels), 167 (M6 wheels), or 172 (550i Sport) wheels. If you want to break the bank and get the best aftermarket forged wheels, I like the Radenergie wheels the best (especially the R10s and RS10s). If you want to get reasonably priced cast wheels, my fav are the Bretyon Race GTS wheels, although Miro 935s and VMR V710s also look nice.

On the Dension Gateway 500, I would defer to those who have one. My 550i Sport is a 2009 and I got the iPod compatibility with the car so I don't need that. But many members have it and can answer your questions.
Cheers, I get ya now I like style 166 and 172, I take it 19's would fit without issue/mods? How is the ride/comfort/tram-lining on that size over the bog standard 16's, I have the discontinued style 134. I'll try and upload a pic of it.

I will hold out for Dension owners and have a browse through the forum also.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Members

Here ya go,

Hi, please suggest what can be added to my new purchase-6862_56828.jpg

Hi, please suggest what can be added to my new purchase-6862_56835.jpg

Hi, please suggest what can be added to my new purchase-6862_56833.jpg
Old 11-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Members

Ok, done lots and LOTS of reading up on here regarding the Dension Gateway 500 and just need someone to clarify if this is correct, at the moment I don't know if I have a cd changer (glove box handle was broken but they are fixing it) but what I assume is:

If I have a cd changer and it plays mp3's I can plug the dension straight in.... might not be 100% on that,

If I don't have a cd changer I have to get it activated for cdc and mp3 and then the Dension will work,

If I have a cd changer but it doesn't play mp3's then I need to have it activated for mp3 and then the Dension will work,

What confuses me is when people are saying to get the Dension to work you need to get the ipod option activated (is this the same as getting the mp3 activated) but BMW won't do it with the Dension installed as it's not a BMW part and they can't do it with nothing installed as it won't work........ so how do you do it? Don't tell me you have to buy the BMW ipod kit just to get it activated and then rip it straight out again and put in the Dension? Clarification would be sublime!
Old 11-16-2009, 02:45 AM
Members

Actually, I'll post this seperately. See if anyone can help.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

and congrats on your new ride

For mods, wheels and drop are the two most significant improvements you can make to the exterior of the car. I put those two as one, because they are inseparable in a non-sport suspension car (like yours and mine ). Next is the body kit and so on and on... until you can't work for mods anymore

Interior mods - you've got an endless array of options here, but iPod/iPhone connectivity is definitely a good start. I'd strongly recommend looking into bluetooth retrofit as well. Keep searching this forum - you'll find more idea than you can handle

Quick Reply: Hi, please suggest what can be added to my new purchase