E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

help with sound system

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, im kinda clueless right now. I want to get subwoofers for my car, but just dont know which amp i need. I want a MONO AMP, but i dont know the power ratings and what works with what.

my choices for subwoofers.

Audiobahn ABP103T; which is 3 10" subs in a bandpass enclosure. 900 Watts RMS [4 ohm]
Elemental Design 13Kv.2 Subwoofer; which is 2 12" subs, 800 Watts RMS [4 ohm]

i would like some help with picking out an amp.
can someone tell me what watt amp i need for either one of my choices?

Old 09-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by djenousis' post='333303' date='Sep 11 2006, 03:01 PM
well, im kinda clueless right now. I want to get subwoofers for my car, but just dont know which amp i need. I want a MONO AMP, but i dont know the power ratings and what works with what.

my choices for subwoofers.

Audiobahn ABP103T; which is 3 10" subs in a bandpass enclosure. 900 Watts RMS [4 ohm]
Elemental Design 13Kv.2 Subwoofer; which is 2 12" subs, 800 Watts RMS [4 ohm]
i would like some help with picking out an amp.
can someone tell me what watt amp i need for either one of my choices?

I don't know those subs specifically, but you need to look and see what kind of impact driving 3 10" subs will have on the ohm load. I used to have some JL Audio subs that had dual voice coils that could be driven in 3s and still have the same impact on ohm load as driving 2 normal subs... don't know if the ones you're looking at are designed in the same fashion.

Amps generally are rated as stereo, and also as bridged mono. Look at those figures, and then see what ohm load they are stable at - generally the better amps can maintain good performance at low ohms. (1/2 ohm, 1/4 ohm).

I have an old Phoenix Gold that used to power my buddies subs in a show car - it's old, but it's badass - was modified to take 4 gauge power leads and has a plexiglass bottom - it was mounted upside down so you could see the guts. I can post pics. It has been dormant for ~10 years, but it's a beast. Stable to 1/4 ohm.

EDIT - I looked at and googled the model - it's the MS-2125... Bridged into 4 ohms, it is rated at WRMS 510W x1.

http://www.phoenixgold.com/webfaq/MS_MPS.htm

Pay special attention to the bottom of that link...

"The reason for all the power wiring overkill is a matter of basic ohm's law. For example a MS2125, will TRY to double its power and make about 1,000 watts. However, the size of the amp's power supply will only allow it to make about 720 watts. To make that much power, the power supply MUST have adequate amounts of current. How much? At max undistorted output with typical music material, about 65 amps continuous with peaks (< 50 milliseconds) of around 100 amps. Any amount of resistance in the power or ground side of the circuit restricts current flow. If we restrict current flow then the voltage at the amp's B+ and B- terminals will sag when heavy bass notes hit. And when the voltage sags so does output power."

You'll want some fairly serious power wiring, some large caps, etc... My friend had 4 gauge going into that amp, a 1 farad cap, and a Phoenix Gold Alternator that was a beast. If you feed that thing, it will make about 700w at 2ohms bridged - providing some substantial power to the setups you are considering.

It was products like this one that helped Phoenix Gold build their reputation.

If you want it, let me know - shoot me a PM with an offer. I've been hanging onto it, but I doubt I'll ever use the thing.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:02 PM
Senior Members

you want a good amp go with Genesis brand amplifiers...might cost you a pretty penny but for the quality its worth it..
Old 09-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Senior Members

I can hook you up with any JBL or Infinity amps and subs for 25% off. Or better yet I'd be glad to sell you my whole sub setup if you're interested, I'm thinking about going with straight Focals all around so I'm looking to sell my JBL GTi's and Crown Series amps. They're awesome, but I just want Focals.