E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 02:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (2007) E60 - 520d Msport - Carbon Black,Black Dakota Leather, Carbon Fibre Trim, Business Nav, Bluetooth with telematics, Heated Seats, Parking Sensors Fr/Rr
Thumbs down

Hi All,

okay - I could do with some advice regarding installation of a Dension Gateway 500.

I have received the Dension system today and have started to install. The problem I have is with the Fibre Optics:

* My 07 Car did not have CDC (Though it is MP3 compatible).

I have removed the Glovebox and found the extra loom with the Power supply plug. However the Fibre optic cable is in a loop with no plug - just a plastic bridge connector (same as what you get in the install kit).

My problem is - there is no directional arrows on this connector. Also how do you connect the Fibre Optics Config? The supplied instructions for this part are very unclear to say the least.

I understand the FO has to be in an unbroken loop - but how do you do this? What are the consequences of getting the FO the wrong way round?

Regards, Matt
Old 01-09-2008, 05:42 AM
Members

My Ride: (2007) E60 - 520d Msport - Carbon Black,Black Dakota Leather, Carbon Fibre Trim, Business Nav, Bluetooth with telematics, Heated Seats, Parking Sensors Fr/Rr
Unhappy

Well I have fitted the system - all wired up and Fibre Optics connected in a direct loop.

Result......... Nothing!

No sound - All that happens is the Aux Input display comes up.

I have downloaded the latest software version and upgraded the Dension module.

The unit lights up - charges my ipod and shows config for BMW MP3 on ipod screen.

I have tried different dip switch configs - with no joy.

Any ideas? This is driving me mad.

Any help much appreciated.

Matt
Old 01-09-2008, 07:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Not familiar with this setup but going with my IPOD installation, BMW had to activate my Aux Input before I can use it.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MSportMatt' post='515444' date='Jan 9 2008, 06:46 AM
Hi All,

okay - I could do with some advice regarding installation of a Dension Gateway 500.

I have received the Dension system today and have started to install. The problem I have is with the Fibre Optics:

* My 07 Car did not have CDC (Though it is MP3 compatible).

I have removed the Glovebox and found the extra loom with the Power supply plug. However the Fibre optic cable is in a loop with no plug - just a plastic bridge connector (same as what you get in the install kit).

My problem is - there is no directional arrows on this connector. Also how do you connect the Fibre Optics Config? The supplied instructions for this part are very unclear to say the least.

I understand the FO has to be in an unbroken loop - but how do you do this? What are the consequences of getting the FO the wrong way round?

Regards, Matt

I don't have the Dension unit but I would suspect that like the BMW MOST unit that you'll need to have the dealer activate the CDC since you didn't have one. Once that's active then the car will talk to the Dension but right now, even thought it's plugged in, the car is not aware of the presence of the Dension.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Members

If it charges the ipod and shows config it means that the connection of fiber optics is ok.

Originally Posted by MSportMatt' post='515470' date='Jan 9 2008, 03:42 PM
No sound - All that happens is the Aux Input display comes up.
What does it mean? What do you see on the screen exactly?
Is it possible that you see the "AUX" text on the Disc 5 of a simulated CDC? What if you disconnect and reconnect the iPod in this state?
Old 01-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

I have an 07 E60 too and ran into the same problem of not being able to find the fiber optic cable. Do you have any pictures of how you spliced the loom to hook up your Dension unit? Or can you explain in more detail how you went about doing that? That would be most helpful to me. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2008, 01:24 AM
Members

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GW500' post='515614' date='Jan 9 2008, 04:08 PM
If it charges the ipod and shows config it means that the connection of fiber optics is ok.

What does it mean? What do you see on the screen exactly?
Is it possible that you see the "AUX" text on the Disc 5 of a simulated CDC? What if you disconnect and reconnect the iPod in this state?
Hi GW500,

well this is what I thought.... I disconnnected the fibre optic loop that I found behind the glovebox as per Knighcom's image in above post and used the bridge connectors supplied in the kit to make a 'loop' from the GW500 module (CAR input connection).

My ipod displayed in text BMW MP3 2.07 - Showed charging and displayed message - do not use while driving or similar. Also when plugged in - I could not use the ipod controls - it seemed locked up as a safety feature.

Note: I could see the fibre optic flashing on the loop when i disconnected the bridge connector during the works. How does the car read the Dension? through the CD menu or the Aux input menu? I also tried using my wife's mini ipod to see if that worked - no sucess.

My Car can read MP3/ burned CD's through the single shot player - but only displays CD1 - not CD2/3/4 etc.

As stated before - My car has no NAV, but does have integrated Btooth/ telematics.

Any advice much appreciated.

Matt
Old 01-10-2008, 02:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

Matt, when you are referring to the fiber optic loop, do you mean the one highlighted in red? How did you detach that wire?
Help Please!-img_7598.jpg
Old 01-10-2008, 02:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by KnIgHtCoM' post='515895' date='Jan 10 2008, 06:05 AM
Matt, when you are referring to the fiber optic loop, do you mean the one highlighted in red? How did you detach that wire?
Attachment 42735

Hi Knightcom,

you need to very carefully peel back the grey fibre tape around the 'bulge' in the middle of the loop.

This will reveal a black plasctic bridge connector with two optic fibre ends connected in a bridge. Very carefully prise the outer tab off the rectangular connecter - then you will be able to see the FO ends. Again using a terminal driver - very carefully lift the outer ring tabs to be able to pull out the FO end.

Be very careful not to touch or get the end dirty.

Anyway this is what I did - whether this is right way or not..... Maybe another member has a better way?

Cheers, Matt
Old 01-10-2008, 02:49 AM
Contributors

Sweet, thanks! You answered my question. Now I await to see your solution to getting the Dension unit working.

Does the Dension unit support USB devices (flash sticks, hard drives) and can you input video (iPod, DVD player) onto the I-Drive screen?