E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Help with parts needed for Xenon Headlight conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 550i LCI M-Sport, Carbon Black

Hi,

I have purchased what I thought was a full set up to convert my car to Adaptive Xenons from The GermanOne. The Parts I have are as follows:

2x Headlights
2x Xenon Bulbs
2x Ballasts
all fixtures/brackets and fittings.

I know I need to purchase the adaptive modules but what else is it that I need? does anyone know?

I have spoken with someone who works for BMW and he states I should have a wiring kit for this also. Can anyone help with this please?
Old 09-04-2007, 03:53 AM
Senior Members

Unhappy

sorry cant helpon the xenons, but noticed you changed you name Harv?

Anyway hope someone can help you on that.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

It's going to be very complicated to retrofit the adaptive feature...are you upgrading from Halogens?

I converted from halogen to xenon but purchased non-adaptive xenon headlights. Which made the install easier.

You are in the UK which means BMW supports and has a xenon retrofit kit. Have you seen the parts list for that?

For example the official AHL (adaptive) retrofit comes with the following parts:

* Fillister Head Screw x 4

* Self Locking Hex Nut x 6

* Right Ride Height Sensor Bracket

* Front Angle Joint

* Level Sensor x 2

* Regulating Rod

* Left Ride Height Sensor Bracket

* Wiring Set Xenon Light

* Bushing Contact x 6

* Cable Strap x 20

* Control Element Light

* Light Module

* Control Unit Xenon Light x 2

* Ignition Element Xenon Light x 2

* Stick On Label x 2

* Xenon Light Bulb x 2

* Control Unit, AHL (only in set for cars without the SA 502 display)

* Wiring Set ALC (only in set for cars without the SA 502 display)

* Stick On Label (only in set for cars without the SA 502 display)

* Electronics Box ALC Uncoded x 2 (only in set for cars without the SA 502 display)
* Left Euro AHL Clear Headlamp Assembly
* Right Euro AHL Clear Headlamp Assembly
Old 10-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by D_Sport' post='465586' date='Sep 4 2007, 08:37 AM
Hi,

I have purchased what I thought was a full set up to convert my car to Adaptive Xenons from The GermanOne. The Parts I have are as follows:

2x Headlights
2x Xenon Bulbs
2x Ballasts
all fixtures/brackets and fittings.

I know I need to purchase the adaptive modules but what else is it that I need? does anyone know?

I have spoken with someone who works for BMW and he states I should have a wiring kit for this also. Can anyone help with this please?
Hi d_Sport

Im also going to do this one after my Mtec kits installed, I do have the wiring diagrams and parts lists.

Theres a couple of versions pre 09/05 and post but in summary

1 The Xenon loom adds the level sensors and rewires the lights slightly 30 odd quid there is a E60 retro document for that
2 The other "PT CAN" rewires the leveling motor(s) to the "adaptive" AKL driver module under the light- a databus connection. 36 quid

You do need an expensive fresh un coded AKL lighting module (250 GBP) inside the car and possibly a new light switch too

I would not plug in the AKL headlights without the wiring being changed first, there is chance you could blow up the headlight adaptive ECU -square one
as the last loom changes it from a level motor driver to a databus.

My plan if it helps

Get the bits ive got RHD AKL lights and the hella inverter ECUs that drive the Xenon bulbs
Ps mercedes use the same Xenon drivers post as 09/05

I still need AKL square modules for the lights (60 ish each new) and wiring plus Lighting ECU

One weekend to keep the car on the road
I will wire the 2x new level suspension sensors/brackets first and park/store the wiring near the lights and ECU
then add and work out the lighting ECU wiring changes in advance and run the other AKL loom but not fully connect it yet
AKA the hard work stripping the car is out the way - Ive done this on an E46 before it was simpler !!

Next Stage
Add the new lighting ECU and wire in the new looms at ECU and lights - then add the AKL adaptive lights.
It will then have to go to dealer for horribly expensive coding no doubt, it will bitch at me until I do- Prior arangement works best, but they usually have never done this so take twice as long as BMW specify - I do have some sympathy for them, but hate paying for the box downloading software over very low speed link.

Not a cheap mod but do able

Let me know how you get on, please PM me if I can help or make some discoveries, I did find a E90 AKL retro guide its similar but pins are different as you would expect, the wring diagrams however do let you work this out.

MAE60D
Old 10-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Members

When you purchase the xenon headlight from BMW,
Does it include the bulbs and the ballast?

Thanks