E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

HELP needed on IPOD Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 E60 520d - 1995cc-177bhp, Business audio, Adaptive Xenons, ACS Roof & Trunk Spoilers, M6 Kidney Grill, ///M Badging, Carbon Fibre Door Lock Pins, ///M Wheel hub caps,
Thumbs down

Hello again all!

Firstly, thanks a lot for helping me out on different problems till now! and luckily with the help of this wonderful forum and its members, i have learnt a lot more about my car, wallet got a lot lot lighter, and am a much more happier today than the day i had my E60 '08 520d in stock position!

Recently i had started a thread about the Dension Gateway installation.
Now due to me having a basic Business Audio, no nav, 6CD Changer, and with Single CD Slot on dash playing MP3, i have had an unsuccessful TEXT Dension gateway installation. the DW only showed up in NON TEXT Format, so i returned it back to the dealer.

Couple of days back i went to the Workshop, and inquired about IPOD Retrofit for my 520d with business audio and 6cd changed in glove box, and was quoted around US$1350 inclusive of fitting.

The parts that he said i would need are as given in this link :

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=65&fg=95

Basic break up of costs:
1. RETROFIT - Part No. 65410415655 - around US$500
2. INTERFACE - Part No. 65410411033 - around US$500
balance $350 for 2 cables and installation.

total of 4 parts to be put in.

Now, a few days back i came across this thread :

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=59271

This is about the IPOD Retrofit kit sold by our member - SCHULROG (Roger)

I would like to know wether , if i buy this Retrofit Kit from SCHULROG, will i be able to get TEXT for the ipod interface, and wether i would need to go to the dealer for any kind of coding? This is good for me only if i dont need to go to the dealer for anything. Main thing is that Roger's kit costs only around $280, so would definately like to find out all about it, would save me lots of $$$ going in with Roger's!

Why i am in doubt, is that SCHULROG's kit is only one box, while the dealer is asking me to install 2 boxes + some cables.

PS: The bmw workshop here are least helpful when it comes to do with anything installed/bought outside of them! The way they were trying to shoo me away when i asked them to enable IPOD interface in the diag computer, saying that the Dension Gateway works like the company ipod!!!!!

Please help me guys! i have even contacted Roger on this and waiting for his reply too, but just looking out for more opinions.

Also, with the enumerous praises about the Sprint Booster on this forum and everybody just telling to 'go for it, must have' , i have finally decided to jump in on it from Andy! will post here once i receive it and feel it!
Old 10-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 520d - 1995cc-177bhp, Business audio, Adaptive Xenons, ACS Roof & Trunk Spoilers, M6 Kidney Grill, ///M Badging, Carbon Fibre Door Lock Pins, ///M Wheel hub caps,

Also guys, i just now came across this thread here:

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27833

so my question is : CAN the CD CHANGER play MP3 CD's at all? if YES, then how can i get it activated? my car is August'08 make. Does the iDrive software has to be updated to a new version for this? if yes, then how can i know what version is my iDrive software?

THANKS A LOT!
Old 10-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Members

Hey guys...just came up with this info...this site sells "latest oem cd changers which are MP3 compatible"

http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catalog/bmw...mw-item-97.html

This states that the MP3 is capable in CD CHanger only for the following cars:

3 Series E90/E91/E92 and E87 with or without Navigation.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Members

Anyone with any info on any of my questions please?
Thanks.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Contributors

i used the Service Bulletin that shulrog provided and took my car into the dealership and told them i wanted to play mp3s on my cd player. they updated it for free so that i can now play mp3s.

i ordered the interface from Garry at Newport BMW for a great price...under $250 with the face plate and shipping to southern california. i received one box and plan to install it myself tomorrow.

i think thats all you need.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:21 AM
Members

hey there Kali4nia!

Thanks a lot for clearing up my doubt, but could u please tell me if, after the MP3 upgrade from the workshop, can u play MP3 cds from the CD Changer?

Thanks.

Have ordered the Ipod Kit from Roger finally, and waiting for it to be delivered! i just pray it works purrfect!
Old 10-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Insane Devil' post='685163' date='Oct 4 2008, 09:21 AM
hey there Kali4nia!

Thanks a lot for clearing up my doubt, but could u please tell me if, after the MP3 upgrade from the workshop, can u play MP3 cds from the CD Changer?

Thanks.

Have ordered the Ipod Kit from Roger finally, and waiting for it to be delivered! i just pray it works purrfect!
i didnt test the cd changer. but i did unplug the cd changer, plug in the interface, and connect the ipod...the ipod says its connected to bmw, but i cant seem to locate the ipod on my idrive.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Members

eh... Then how exactly are you using your Ipod? from what i have read around, it just shows as CD1,2,3,4,5,6 and in those u have to go and select via albums, artist, genre, playlists, etc.... Have u tried that?
Old 10-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Insane Devil' post='685289' date='Oct 4 2008, 01:08 PM
eh... Then how exactly are you using your Ipod? from what i have read around, it just shows as CD1,2,3,4,5,6 and in those u have to go and select via albums, artist, genre, playlists, etc.... Have u tried that?
well i should be able to get to CD1, etc by selecting CD...but i cant select CD. I plugged back in the cd changer to see if i could listen to an mp3 cd and it worked fine. replaced the changer with the interface and now i cannot select CD so that I can listen to the ipod
Old 10-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by kali4nia58' post='685290' date='Oct 4 2008, 04:10 PM
well i should be able to get to CD1, etc by selecting CD...but i cant select CD. I plugged back in the cd changer to see if i could listen to an mp3 cd and it worked fine. replaced the changer with the interface and now i cannot select CD so that I can listen to the ipod
Correct, I believe. My '06 iPod adapter was like that. Select CD 1 for play lists, CD 2 for artists, etc, IIRC.
Your car might need coding for an iPod. It shouldn't be required but I don't know for sure.

BTW, I didn't think any updates allow MP3 playback from the CD changer. But you do loose the changer with the iPod connection.

Quick Reply: HELP needed on IPOD Retrofit