E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

help Electrical system failure/cruise control failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 03:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BenAnd
Hi

Have you checked in the bottom of the mould for the spare tire ? down there the MPM ( Micro Power Modul ) is located on E60&1 up until aprox. 03-05 / 09-05 , and it is a knowen fact that water there is bound to give problems with the electrical system.

Regards
BenAnd
My car is a 12/03 build would I have that module there? Also how does water get in the spare tire compartment
Old 06-14-2012, 08:11 AM
Senior Members

I already called my SA but if I can avoid going to the dealer I will it really seems like this mpm might really be the cause of my issues tonight I will take apart my trunk and get down to the bottom of this I tried to test my sunroof drain and it seemed fine so the leak is coming from somewhere

http://www.euroautotraining.com/blog...wer-module-tip

As much as reading I do on this forum I'm surprised I never heard about this and BMW should be ashamed of them selves for not making this a recall they smartly started moving the modules to "higher ground" on newer models when they realized under the spare tire might not be the most dry place to put it. Thanks to everyone who gave me some advice whether from posting or pm'ing I learned a lot

Advice to all my fellow 04-05 e60 owners if you haven't done it already take preventative measures to keep this from happening to you. the potential cost could be expensive if the damage is already done. you don't want your dash lighting up like a christmas tree

1. change your sunroof seal
2. re locate all electronics under the spare tire
3. get your trunk checked for leaks
Old 06-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Senior Members

Well guys the problem is solved as many of you suggested it was the MPM module was swimming in the compartment under my spare tire thanks again bmw for that smart design... anyway when I got home I had time to gut the trunk and remove the spare to find katrina. I removed the module dried it out and relocated it to the area near the tail light then took it for a drive and voila no more errors haaaaa(sigh of relief) here are a few pic of what I discovered and the module, you'll notice in the pic the module suffered some serious corrosion so I'll probably be changing it soon but at least now I know what was throwing all the errors what I still don't know however is how did the water get in the trunk oh well thats a problem for another day.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Senior Members

Old 06-15-2012, 03:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

YIKES! That sucks man! I know that in later E60s BMW changed the locations of those electronic modules. My car is an 02/06 build and I don't have any modules under my spare tire. I believe they are mounted on the trunk wall near the tail lamps.

I hope this is the end of your water problems! GL
Old 06-15-2012, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pradden
YIKES! That sucks man! I know that in later E60s BMW changed the locations of those electronic modules. My car is an 02/06 build and I don't have any modules under my spare tire. I believe they are mounted on the trunk wall near the tail lamps.

I hope this is the end of your water problems! GL
yes thanks I hope its the end of my problems too these unforeseen expenses keep putting a hold on my future mods LOL. But yeah by the tail light is exactly where i installed it with some 3m double sided tape.