E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

help Electrical system failure/cruise control failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 04:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So just as I'm loving my car and its running at peak performance, yesterday I get disturbed by that wonderful chime/dong that lets you know get ready to spend more money.

Maybe you guys can give me an idea of whats going on

on my way home from work while parking the car and electrical system failure error popped up on the screen then followed by a cruise control failure. after I pressed ok on the idrive screen message i held the check button and it only displayed the cc error. I turned off the car and then turned it back on and all errors were gone i pressed the check button again and it said all systems ok. So I parked the car and thought maybe my car just was being weird temporarily.

This morning I started the car and all errors were still gone until I drove for about 15 seconds and the same 2 errors came back up again. like yesterday I tried turning off the car and the same happened but it returned after I kept driving. Whats weird about it is after I press ok on the screen only the cruise control error remains and I also noticed the electrical system failure returns as I continue driving but not really while pressing gas but more so when I'm coming to a stop. I noticed nothing wrong with the car mechanically or I didn't see any problems with any of the electrical devices so I don't know what the car is trying to tell me. Also some background info since I don't know if they play a role I have done nothing to the car over the last few days but remove the headlights to get refinished I never turned on the while they were out and when I replaced the headlights I drove the car for 2 days without issue, second it has been raining all day yesterday I don't know if that could of affected something.

I did a google search this morning and I notice a few open ended forums with people discussing this same exact problem with electrical system failure followed by the cruise control error, so I suppose this is quite a common e60 issue however I didn't really find any answers on the topic I found one person who said the problem ended up being their general body module ???

I also found this which is sort of similar to my problem but I never had any tpm malfunction how ever what I'm thinking is the guy in that forum said there was water leakage in his trunk which is what caused the tpm error and I remember now last year I took my car to get serviced for a seat mat error and the mechanic noticed I had about a inch of water in the compartment under my battery He quickly removed it but never diagnosed why did water get there in the first place. I'm at work right now but I'm wondering with all the rain yesterday maybe I have a trunk leak and some water got to the battery causing all the problems I will check as soon as I get back

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1657426

So I ask you guys if you know anything about this and can you give me some info on what I can do before I try the dealership. I have INPA diagnostic tool but I also read that the people with the same problem as me when they tried getting a mechanic to find the error code nothing would come up my guess is maybe because once you shut off the car the error messages go away and don't return while in park.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Wow, this is a new one to me. I wish I could offer some advise.. I hope it is nothing major, hopefully its something minor like the battery getting close to needing replacement.

Good Luck homie! Keep us updated!
Old 06-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Senior Members

Damn this one is gonna bug me
Old 06-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

Update ..

After work the rain finally stopped I went and checked the battery compartment to see if it had water in it but I didn't see any. Upon closer inspection I notice spots of condensation on top the battery and around the surrounding area I wiped everything down dry with a towel and started the car. I was able to drive the car error free for about 45 minutes until I went over a speed bump and the errors returned I think either some connection is loose back there or maybe water bounced from somewhere onto the battery. But the fact that this happened exactly when I went over a bump is good hope for me that I just have a water leak somewhere in the trunk.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Senior Members

I discovered my carpet in the trunk near the left opposite side of the battery compartment was damp when i lifted it saw this water underneath but none of the components like the tcu or amp got wet i haven't yet removed the battery but I noticed the errors only pop up on the screen for events like rough driving or a bump in the road or a sharp turn i notice the gauges jump and then the error pops up each time one of those events occur. during smooth road the error doesn't come up. I don't know if I should attribute the problem to some sort of short with the movement in the car, or does the water have anything to do with the problem.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Have you checked those sunroof drains? I hear they can be an issue. I think the two in the front run down the A pillars and come out somewhere near the front wheels. I an curious to know if there are also two in the rear, I thought there was, but just not sure.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Senior Members

no i never checked it yet but I'll make sure to tell the mechanic to take a look at it for me.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

The drains in the front are little black hoses directly underneath your front door hinge.

The rear drains are located in each corner of the back of the car. On one side you have plastic panels to remove to get to it, on the other side, the drain tube is above and behind the exhaust muffler. You can get to it without removing your muffler, but it is difficult.

On the ends of the rear drain tubes are little plus "+" shape tips. You can remove these to increase drainage.

To test the drains, open your sunroof and slowly pour some water in each corner of the outer track/frame. Do one corner at a time. You should see exactly where your drains are/and if they are clogged or not by the water making it's way out.

Also, I would recommend you replace your sunroof seal if you haven't yet. It's like $20-30 for a new one, and it is easy to remove and install the seals.

GL
Old 06-13-2012, 06:01 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for the advice
Old 06-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW e60 525IA 12/2003

Hi

Have you checked in the bottom of the mould for the spare tire ? down there the MPM ( Micro Power Modul ) is located on E60&1 up until aprox. 03-05 / 09-05 , and it is a knowen fact that water there is bound to give problems with the electrical system.

Regards
BenAnd

Quick Reply: help Electrical system failure/cruise control failure