E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Help with Dension Gateway 500 needed please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525d M Sport Gunmetal Grey

I have recently purchased a 2005 525d m sport.. after reading a few of the posts on here i decided to buy a dension gateway 500 to compliment my ipod. Now for the basics.. i have the BMW i-drive Professional Sat Nav with 6 Cd Changer.. no AUX input and still not sure if it is mp3 enabled and what software version is installed in my car.

I decided to have it fitted from a local in-car entertainment fitters today.. not brave enough to do it myself like many of you on this forum (good on ya Muttley & Bruce). The fitter tried to test the ipod but it wasnt showing up on the display even after reseting.. he updated the dension firmware and still nothing. We both came to the conclusion that i may need the unit mp3 enabled or the ipod option programmed.. he was adamant the wiring was correct because it works through a fibre optic loop and if it was incorrect the audio system wouldn't work at all.

I left feeling gutted but knowing it would be rectified in the coming week.. whilst driving home recieved a phone call on my phone which normally connects instantaniously via bluetooth to the car. This has never happened before and obviously has some relation to the dension unit being fitted in. Got home and tried to pair the phone again but no to avail.. my phone finds the bmw bluetooth and it pairs but still doesn't connect like i did before.

Anyway i gave the gateway unit and one final try.. reset it from the aux unit and it worked well kind off .. the i-drive changed the tracks and i think playlists but it still displays the tracks as numbers on a carousel like when playing a cd.. doesn't display tracks in menus or texts. Switched the car off and on again and it didn't work.. only works when i reset the unit from the aux adaptor.

I actually feel like ripping the unit out and driving over the damn thing.. not the sensible option i guess. Could someone please help.. where do i go from here????? Do i still need the gateway coded in? I will miss my bluetooth dearly Regards Shaz......
Old 04-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

One thing's for sure you either have the Dension DIP switches wrong or your car is not coded for mp3 - thats the reason why you don't have text.

The Dension must not be connected to the power correctly or something and thats the reason why is works only when you reset it.

Don't know what is up with the Bluetooth though.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Members

Thanx for your reply bruce.. i have checked the dip switches.. the 1st and 2nd are up.. the 3rd and 4th are down. I have booked the car in to have the mp3 coded in on friday hopefully that will solve the text problem like you mentioned. We will then see if the unit powers on ok.. if not then there is a problem with the wiring. I don't think the instructions dension supply are very user friendly. Still not solved the bluetooth problem.. the wierd thing is it was working perfectly fine until i had gateway 500 fitted.. serious nightmare!
Old 04-16-2009, 06:08 AM
Members

Just to let ya all know took the car into BMW 2day and they rectified the problem with the bluetooth pairing.. they weren't sure what the problem was either but its fixed now.. best thing was NO CHARGE!!!! All i'm waiting for now is the mp3 coding which will be next week as i need to leave the car with them.. hopefully this will fix the problem with Dension 500.. fingers crossed.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Goodluck to you and keep us updated.
I would like to know that aswell as mine cant play the MP3 in my headunit and i am thinking to get Dension aswell.

Goodluck
Old 04-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Members

my 04 530I- MP3 retrofit was done my the leicester Uk dealer - they said it wasnt possible - but i shwed an Bulletin from this forum and pased it to them 15mins later she came back and said yes it plays MP3s (mines a Idrive sat pro model)
Originally Posted by Shaz_duf' post='849157' date='Apr 16 2009, 03:08 PM
Just to let ya all know took the car into BMW 2day and they rectified the problem with the bluetooth pairing.. they weren't sure what the problem was either but its fixed now.. best thing was NO CHARGE!!!! All i'm waiting for now is the mp3 coding which will be next week as i need to leave the car with them.. hopefully this will fix the problem with Dension 500.. fingers crossed.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 523i M-Sport

Originally Posted by rborhara' post='849736' date='Apr 17 2009, 12:31 AM
my 04 530I- MP3 retrofit was done my the leicester Uk dealer - they said it wasnt possible - but i shwed an Bulletin from this forum and pased it to them 15mins later she came back and said yes it plays MP3s (mines a Idrive sat pro model)
That is amazing!
My car has been to them twice for the MP3 retrofit this year and they said its been done.
In the last 10weeks, I've tried 8 different MP3 cd's, all with different settings (suggestions from dealer, the forum etc) and it STILL reads "Medium cannot be read"

Shaz, let us know how you get on!
Old 04-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rborhara' post='849736' date='Apr 17 2009, 12:31 AM
I think i have the i drive sat pro as well.. have you got a copy of the bulletin or a link to it Rborhara? Not sure how much they're gonna charge me for the retrofit.. if it can be done for free then even better ......
Old 04-18-2009, 02:01 AM
Members

Mate your in Leicester too - I have an MP3 Cd You can try if you want.
let me know
Originally Posted by Shaz_duf' post='850449' date='Apr 17 2009, 07:24 PM
I think i have the i drive sat pro as well.. have you got a copy of the bulletin or a link to it Rborhara? Not sure how much they're gonna charge me for the retrofit.. if it can be done for free then even better ......
Old 04-18-2009, 06:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 523i M-Sport

Originally Posted by rborhara' post='851037' date='Apr 18 2009, 11:01 AM
Mate your in Leicester too - I have an MP3 Cd You can try if you want.
let me know
Mate, I would appreciate that so much!!
I've tried 8 different CD's and none work, but BMW are adament I have the retrofit! I'll drop you a PM

Quick Reply: Help with Dension Gateway 500 needed please!!!