E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Help - BMW Dealership won't change my Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I have an aftermarket Battery (interstate optima). They are stating unless I change my battery to the BMW Battery they wont change my alternator under warranty. What does the battery have to do with it? Does it really make a difference with the factory battery and an aftermarket?

Can they actually do that?
Old 12-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Call other dealerships and see what they say. That's probably the best way to find out.

Michael

Originally Posted by Fxdup5' post='1071655' date='Dec 10 2009, 02:59 PM
I have an aftermarket Battery (interstate optima). They are stating unless I change my battery to the BMW Battery they wont change my alternator under warranty. What does the battery have to do with it? Does it really make a difference with the factory battery and an aftermarket?

Old 12-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Fxdup5' post='1071655' date='Dec 10 2009, 02:59 PM

No they cannot do that, its called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

if your car needs a new alternator and the battery you have is the exact same specs as OEM, they are required by law to treat it as an OEM part and change the failing component.

However, if the battery you have caused the alternator to die, because it is of inferior strength and specs, then they can deny warranty coverage.

What you need to find out is what caused your alternator to fail and go from there.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

What he said; however, going to battle w/ a dealer can be very time consuming and overall be a horrible experience. If you have other BMW dealerships in the area, I'd talk to them and see what they said.

Shrug, just what I would do to resolve the problem ASAP.

Michael

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='1071681' date='Dec 10 2009, 03:30 PM
No they cannot do that, its called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

if your car needs a new alternator and the battery you have is the exact same specs as OEM, they are required by law to treat it as an OEM part and change the failing component.

However, if the battery you have caused the alternator to die, because it is of inferior strength and specs, then they can deny warranty coverage.

What you need to find out is what caused your alternator to fail and go from there.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Members

Thanks for all the feedback. I actually spoke with another dealership in the area and they stated that as long as the battery works it should be fine and they should just switch out the alternator. I just got a message from the service advisor that from further diagnosis, the issue could have been caused from the starter itself. I left them a message informing them to continue their diagnosis and do whatever it takes to resolve the matter without dealing with the battery. We will see what happens!?!?!?
Old 12-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

It pays to know that alternators on E60's are somewhat of a known issue - if you've done your research, you'd know many people have had these replaced under warranty (myself included). I don't think it is due to any other malfunctions in the car - its just the way they are made, they tend to break.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Fxdup5' post='1071721' date='Dec 10 2009, 04:38 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I actually spoke with another dealership in the area and they stated that as long as the battery works it should be fine and they should just switch out the alternator. I just got a message from the service advisor that from further diagnosis, the issue could have been caused from the starter itself. I left them a message informing them to continue their diagnosis and do whatever it takes to resolve the matter without dealing with the battery. We will see what happens!?!?!?

glad that its working out for you

just be prepared to come out with guns blazing over this if they try a bait and switch technique

educated yourself on the law about it and youll be good to go