E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Hella E60 OE Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Hi all. As a new owner, I am excited to join a lively community. I am hoping that through my stay here I will make friends and learn a lot more about cars in general.

Now, my purpose of this post...

I have a 2006 525i, and currently, it has halogen lights. I thought to purchase those xenon bulbs, and considered hid conversion kits, but at the end of the day, didn't want to risk it.

So I bought these: http://www.umnitza.com/umnitza-hella-xenon...ogy-p-1328.html instead. They arrived late this evening, so I thought I would go about installing it in the morning tomorrow.

Now, my problem is that I am a total newb, and the set did not come with instructions. Looking at the light, it looks like I just plug it in, however, I noticed that at the bottom of the (new set of) lights that there's this:

Notice the blue and red thingie... what are those and where do they go?

Sorry for such newb question, but like I said, I am new!

If there are member that are located in Orange County, that wouldn't mind helping me with this (without charging an arm and leg), please contact me! I would like to do this and get it done tomorrow! Thanks all!
Old 06-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc' post='903109' date='Jun 6 2009, 10:49 PM
Hi all. As a new owner, I am excited to join a lively community. I am hoping that through my stay here I will make friends and learn a lot more about cars in general.

Now, my purpose of this post...

I have a 2006 525i, and currently, it has halogen lights. I thought to purchase those xenon bulbs, and considered hid conversion kits, but at the end of the day, didn't want to risk it.

So I bought these: http://www.umnitza.com/umnitza-hella-xenon...ogy-p-1328.html instead. They arrived late this evening, so I thought I would go about installing it in the morning tomorrow.

Now, my problem is that I am a total newb, and the set did not come with instructions. Looking at the light, it looks like I just plug it in, however, I noticed that at the bottom of the (new set of) lights that there's this:

Sorry for such newb question, but like I said, I am new!

If there are member that are located in Orange County, that wouldn't mind helping me with this (without charging an arm and leg), please contact me! I would like to do this and get it done tomorrow! Thanks all!
Where are you located in Orange County? We are in Irvine, CA. Maybe I can help you out with the install.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Contributors

I am in Aliso Viejo, about 10 min from Irvine!
Old 06-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Contributors

Anyone?
Old 06-08-2009, 05:58 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Those connector are where the Xenon Ballast plug into, you'll have to purchase them if the kit didn't come w/ the Ballast in order to power the Xenon bulb and they are quite expensive.

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc' post='903109' date='Jun 7 2009, 12:49 AM
[...]

[...]
Old 06-08-2009, 06:20 AM
Members

GL! Let me know how they turn out. I unfortunately have halogen too and looking to upgrade.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

If you still need help this coming weekend - I'd be glad to lend a hand (and not charge at all, a "pay it forward" kind of deal)
Old 06-08-2009, 07:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='904228' date='Jun 8 2009, 08:03 AM
If you still need help this coming weekend - I'd be glad to lend a hand (and not charge at all, a "pay it forward" kind of deal)
Oh wow, that would be great!

Like I said, I am a total newb. A friend stopped by yesterday, and the first thing he said was that I don't have the ballast...

So disappointed! I asked the Umnitza person if the above product is all I need, and he told me yes! Totally feel deceived... damn newbness.

Anyway, any recommendations to what I should get? I assume going OEM would be the better approach...

Something like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-07-BMW-E...1205|240%3A1318

And please tell me that's the only thing I need (and not a few other things!).
Old 06-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Sorry to break the news to you. You're going to need more than just the ballasts. First, the wire looms and plugs are different. Secound, xenon bulbs draw less current than halogen, so the iDrive will have error unless you put in resistors. The same goes with the angel eyes. It can be done but just not a straight plug n play. Good luck!
Old 06-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by theXman' post='904281' date='Jun 8 2009, 09:05 AM
Sorry to break the news to you. You're going to need more than just the ballasts. First, the wire looms and plugs are different. Secound, xenon bulbs draw less current than halogen, so the iDrive will have error unless you put in resistors. The same goes with the angel eyes. It can be done but just not a straight plug n play. Good luck!
I had read something about the errors. Is it true you can have the dealer update iDrive so it knows it's xenon?

Also, this wire looms and plugs you speak of, can you (sorry to be a pain) point me towards where I can purchase?

Lastly, I actually installed the passenger light yesterday... and right now (as expected), only high beam and the angel eyes work, haha. I only have one plug that goes into the halogen set, and I just plugged that one into the new light.

Quick Reply: Hella E60 OE Headlights