E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Headlight Experimentation | Color Effects

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tough decisions. Bezel is too much. Personally, if I were doing all the mods you mentioned (wrap, gloss black trim....) I would do all black. For the yellow in the headlight, I'd paint the cutoff/shield of the projector. Not the bowl (chrome part where the bulb attaches to) of the projector which will kill your light. Since you got extra, plug them in and turn your low beam on to check. You'll have the lens looking yellow like I did with my red but functionally headlights.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

giving the yellow a shot once more. also took apart the projector assembly (what a total bitch btw) and painting that yellow as well....not the reflector bowl but some of the internal non-electrical non-moving pieces as well as the inner ring of the lens holder itself. once the lens is dropped back in, the sides of the inner ring should provide that yellow color to the lens but since i left the bowl silver/unpainted the light output should remain OEM strength (fingers crossed) if my hunch pays off, it should look killer!

Headlight Experimentation | Color Effects-photo-83-.jpg
Old 03-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Senior Members

ok, all put back together. i also blacked out the top portion where there was a straight line on the outer bezel. that hard straight line was killing aesthetic flow for me.

so now we have all blacked out interior with the outer bezel painted the corvette velocity yellow. the internal portion of the projector painted yellow as well but not the reflector bowl at the very back retaining what i believe will be 99.9% of the OEM luminosity. in order to see how it really looks installed i would have to swap out bulbs, brackets and other internals so i might not go that far just yet. but here are some updated pics. i think this is the 90% proof of concept at this point....
Attached Thumbnails Headlight Experimentation | Color Effects-new-yellow-4.jpg   Headlight Experimentation | Color Effects-new-yellow-3.jpg   Headlight Experimentation | Color Effects-new-yellow-2.jpg   Headlight Experimentation | Color Effects-new-yellow.jpg  
Old 03-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Bro, I like it!!! I wasn't feeling the first pics you posted. Now it's more subtle. And the Ferrari yellow is HAWT!! Nicely done.

And nice touch with the eyebrows. I'm thinking I should change it up a bit myself. Maybe I'll finally install white LEDs, frost it, or do something similar to what you did.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:23 AM
Senior Members

one more time let me reiterate...this is the tester headlight so pay no attn to the blacked out eyebrow or the jagged cutting lines lol. this baby is for pure experimentation purposes until i get a 100% proof of concept. then and only then am i going to cut open the set thats on my car. plus i still need to order my orions from umnitza (second set in less than a year smh)

i dont think the photos shot in my garage or kitchen really do it justice so i took a couple shots outside this morning in the sunlight. hopefully now you can see the lens is reflecting the yellow color of the interior components, the outer bezel is painted yellow but not too in your face, and those hard straight lines at the top of the two outer bezels is now blacked out opening up the flow a lot more....

thoughts?

Headlight Experimentation | Color Effects-photo-70-.jpg

Headlight Experimentation | Color Effects-photo-71-.jpg
Old 03-09-2012, 06:27 AM
Contributors

Looks much better. Like this setup the best.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:28 AM
Senior Members

thanks man, i appreciate it. when i get to the real version to be done on my car im going to take out the eyebrows and black them out like DKnewyork did with his recent blackout job then swap out the ugly orange LEDs for bright white ones....so i wont be tinting it at all. however im toying with tinting the entire headlight once everything is done with a tinting wrap film just to see how it looks...

Originally Posted by Kaizen
Bro, I like it!!! I wasn't feeling the first pics you posted. Now it's more subtle. And the Ferrari yellow is HAWT!! Nicely done.

And nice touch with the eyebrows. I'm thinking I should change it up a bit myself. Maybe I'll finally install white LEDs, frost it, or do something similar to what you did.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:32 AM
Contributors

Tinting them. Since you're going with the yellow theme. Yellow tint film.

You should order (if they have them) yellow Orion. That would be crazy. I've seen a E90 with Amber Orion made by Umnitza.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Wow. Those last pics looks great! Not too sure about the blacked out eye brow but maybe it just needs to grow on me.

Keep it up Chris, I can't wait to see your final product on your M5
Old 03-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

no worries on the blacked out eyebrow....thats from a botched custom job from last summer. the final version i will do on my car wont have the eyebrow tinted like that

Originally Posted by pradden
Wow. Those last pics looks great! Not too sure about the blacked out eye brow but maybe it just needs to grow on me.

Keep it up Chris, I can't wait to see your final product on your M5

Quick Reply: Headlight Experimentation | Color Effects