E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Headlight Experimentation | Color Effects

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

drew on some inspiration from Nomis and DKnewyork and decided to experiment with my extra pre-LCI headlight in preparation for when i install Orions on my ///M5. i want to add a pop of color because if done correctly it can really accent the theme of a car. we have all seen the Sabine project (if not jump over to the M5 secion of this site its killer!) but those were LCI headlights....what about the rest of us? lol

here's yellow...im going to try out red next...

(the black eyebrow and missting turn signal portion is from an old experiment so pay no attn to that part lol)
Attached Thumbnails Headlight Experimentation | Color Effects-yellow-eye3.jpg   Headlight Experimentation | Color Effects-yellow-eye2.jpg   Headlight Experimentation | Color Effects-yellow-eyes1.jpg  
Old 03-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you need expiremental headlights I have a few pre- lci I'll get rid of pretty cheap
Old 03-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Interesting, but i'm not feeling the yellow. I'm thinking the red will look hot though. You would need to color match other parts too though, like calipers, etc. Good luck with the project and keep us posted.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Senior Members

the lighting kills the yellow...its actually much richer than that. in the pics it feels a bit pale. i tried out the yellow because its the color my RPI scoops are and the color i plan to do my brake calipers with as well.

btw i decided to wrap my car a matte anthracite metallic so i think the yellow may compliment it all well w/ a full blackout in combination....thoughts?

oh and here's the red version:
Headlight Experimentation | Color Effects-red-3.jpg

Headlight Experimentation | Color Effects-red-2.jpg

Headlight Experimentation | Color Effects-red-1.jpg
Old 03-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Senior Members

how much? pm me...

Originally Posted by dlima0284
If you need expiremental headlights I have a few pre- lci I'll get rid of pretty cheap
Old 03-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I can share some thoughts, I will jump back in the thread later tonight.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Senior Members

ok, so i started thinking that maybe the bezel itself is just too much real estate for color treatment and things still blend/remain complimentary to the overall flow of the car....so i dialed it down some.

now the bezel itself is black, i also blacked out the side marker area as well with VHT nightshade. i went in and removed both outer bezels and painted those red for a third test. i feel that this is a better color highlight/compliment.

fourth test, next up: replace the red with a new hue of yellow.....Ferrari Yellow (OEM spec) big thanks to member Laidback btw...its a bit richer than the velocity corvette yellow i tried above.

give me some feedback...

Headlight Experimentation | Color Effects-photo-66-.jpg

Headlight Experimentation | Color Effects-photo-68-.jpg

Headlight Experimentation | Color Effects-photo-67-.jpg

Headlight Experimentation | Color Effects-photo-69-.jpg
Old 03-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Senior Members

that sheyt cray!! love the red!! you are king of DIY!! can not wait to see the finish product sir pls keep us posted
Old 03-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Contributors

I'd do yellow to match your RPI scoops and brakes like you said.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Senior Members

thanks guys i appreciate the feedback. it really helps having this extra headlight to play around with before i ever even touch the ones on my car.

i think im going to redo the scoops with the Ferrari yellow and the brake calipers of course. the car itself will be matte anthracite metallic with gloss black OEM 166 wheels....so i think the yellow will be killer.

im just trying to figure out how to drop in touches of yellow on the headlights....

of the things ive done so far....which one do u like? i think the entire bezel is too much yellow. thoughts? doing the outer bezel means that hard line at the top...also not 100% clean since nothing else here has hard lines....more flow and circles abound otherwise....hmmmmm.

Quick Reply: Headlight Experimentation | Color Effects