E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

has anyone painted the m tec plastic mesh/grill

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT

hello,
just wondering if anyone has seen those plastic grill inserts on the M.tec or m5 bumpers painted the same color as the car.
aside from the black car with the regular black plastic color i was wondering if i should paint the round housing/ and or mesh piece (silver grey metallic) like my car.

i cant say iv'e seen this done before but i haven't been involved in the e60 forum for to long.

any ideas on how it looks, or point me towards some pics?

if my lack of an accurate description doesn't help describe the piece im talking about ill be sure to snap some pics, just lmk

-Bill
Old 08-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 ★ Alpine White

paint the the mesh. it's just plastic... you can always paint it back to black if you don't like it.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 modded the F out

leave it alone. The fog surrounds probably wouldn't look bad, but the mesh would look pretty ugly.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leave it black, there are so many stone chips happening all over it that will look crap when the paint chips.
At least when it's black you can't see them
Old 08-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Senior Members

plastidip it first then paint it whatever color you want to see how it looks. If you don't like it, just peel it off.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:37 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I used a good quality rattle can and first applied a adhesion promoter. You can get all of this at NAPA or your local paint store. If you don't have either, then try auto parts store. You should see something there that you can use to clean it with in case there is anything on there like wax etc... If you can scuff it up a little before spraying it, it will be much stronger far as adhesion goes. The problem with this is its tedious to do and to get into all of those little areas. But if you want to do it right then I would. You can use a scotchbrite pad or just grab a piece of 500 for the top surface and take a the sand paper and roll a piece like a cigar and stick it in one of the holes then twist and go up and down once or twice.. When finished, wipe it down with a damp clean rag and then clean it up with the cleaner or wax remover. I think you will apply one -two coats of adhesion promoter (follow can instructions) then apply 2-3 coats of paint.

This is how I did mine when it was new and its still all intact ... Black is better, since the plastic is black. Just in case it does flake off it might not be a seen as well.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I used a good quality rattle can and first applied a adhesion promoter. You can get all of this at NAPA or your local paint store. If you don't have either, then try auto parts store. You should see something there that you can use to clean it with in case there is anything on there like wax etc... If you can scuff it up a little before spraying it, it will be much stronger far as adhesion goes. The problem with this is its tedious to do and to get into all of those little areas. But if you want to do it right then I would. You can use a scotchbrite pad or just grab a piece of 500 for the top surface and take a the sand paper and roll a piece like a cigar and stick it in one of the holes then twist and go up and down once or twice.. When finished, wipe it down with a damp clean rag and then clean it up with the cleaner or wax remover. I think you will apply one -two coats of adhesion promoter (follow can instructions) then apply 2-3 coats of paint.

This is how I did mine when it was new and its still all intact ... Black is better, since the plastic is black. Just in case it does flake off it might not be a seen as well.
ive got everything i need. i painted the front m tech bumper in my garage and have all the supplies to paint just about anything
however, i have decided not to do this.
maybe in the future once i see it all together on the car i can take them out and paint the rings that hold the fogs in place.
after thinking about it, the mesh painted would look tacky... but the round parts in the mesh may look good all painted. i can decide when i receive and paint my hm syle lip.. which arrive on the 10th. and then another week to ship to me..

if i do end up painting the part around the fogs i will certainly take pics.
thanks!!