E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Has anyone installed the Passport Solo with the powered smart cord?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 02:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i SMG Jet Black/Beige Sport/Prem/Cold, comfort, split, shades.
Thumbs up

Need help in routing power and mute button. THX
Old 06-15-2006, 09:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by Chappy' post='298103' date='Jun 15 2006, 03:20 PM
Need help in routing power and mute button. THX
Is that a dash mounted unit?

If so, it is tough to hide the cord.

The best place to get power is the accy outlet on the passenger side. You can remove the covers from under the dash (about 5 screws) and the carpet trim plate that is just underneath the console. The carpet trim plate is removed easily by sliding it back. This is a strip that is about 2" wide and 18" long. Stick a screwdriver in the front and pry towards the back, then remove the plate underneath the dash. If you remove the passenger side one, you can tap the power into the accy wires, then run the wires through the back of the console into the drivers compartment, then probably up the left side.

You could probably place the unit on the left side and just run the wires up the side. Otherwise, remove the pillar covers (not sure how) and run the wires along the top to the rear view mirror area.

The best place for the mute button is on the side of the console inline with the shifter. You can run the wire down the console underneath the trim plate.

I just installed a built in unit and placed my mute button right there, which is really handy.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i SMG Jet Black/Beige Sport/Prem/Cold, comfort, split, shades.

Originally Posted by jsal' post='298236' date='Jun 16 2006, 01:22 AM
Is that a dash mounted unit?

If so, it is tough to hide the cord.

The best place to get power is the accy outlet on the passenger side. You can remove the covers from under the dash (about 5 screws) and the carpet trim plate that is just underneath the console. The carpet trim plate is removed easily by sliding it back. This is a strip that is about 2" wide and 18" long. Stick a screwdriver in the front and pry towards the back, then remove the plate underneath the dash. If you remove the passenger side one, you can tap the power into the accy wires, then run the wires through the back of the console into the drivers compartment, then probably up the left side.

You could probably place the unit on the left side and just run the wires up the side. Otherwise, remove the pillar covers (not sure how) and run the wires along the top to the rear view mirror area.

The best place for the mute button is on the side of the console inline with the shifter. You can run the wire down the console underneath the trim plate.

I just installed a built in unit and placed my mute button right there, which is really handy.
Thanks, I have the Passport solo,the battery powered detector. I wanted to use the hard wired connection instead of the batteries. They make the accessory that is called the smart cord and it has the power and a remote mute button attached. I seems like there is no good place to run the power wire and mute wires since they go in different directions.
I found the power outlet in the passenger footwell. I also notice that these shut off when the car is off.
Is there a power source that doesn't shutt off? The previous models always the power on even in lighter socket.
Thanks,
Old 06-18-2006, 06:11 AM
Members

i have the passport solo s 2 and passed a cop clear as day with his radar gun pointed at traffic and the thing didnt even make a peep its a piece of shit !!!!!!!!!