E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Hamann quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 04:39 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 bmw 550i. carbon black.manual transmition. sport package. almost full version without night vision
Smile

hey guys!!
i wanted to share with u about experience with Hamann company from Germany
i have a 2008 550 and i wanted to have quad exhaust on it.so i did. i ordered a Haman rear diffuser for quad exhaust and i must say i was shocked bc i ordered it one day and on the other day it was already at the airport in NY(excellent). then i did my exhaust-custom true magnaflow exhaust(very loud and deep!!!!). i took the diffuser to painshop and 2 days later i picked it up.it looked beautiful but the guy said right away that the diffuser is made of material of very poor quality.he said there were holes in it so he had to fix it. but whatever i was happy the way it looked. my mood changed though when i tried to put the diffuser o my car!!!!!
i was pissed bc the piece didn't really fit in to well and had couple of hooks and 2 screws o the bottom. it seems that the part is to narrow comparing to the bumper and i had hard time to put it together. i believe Hamann knows about it bc they provide u with an adhesive to put "a little bit" on the hooks( that's the part that comes appart from the bumper when i screw the diffuser to the bumper on the bottom)
seriously I'm a bit furious right now and it will take time for me to cool down. it would be ok if the part was cheap or replica but it's original part from Hamann Germany that cost me in total with painting and shipping about $1100.
From far away it looks really good but i guess i expected much better quality for that price.
i know i won't buy anything from Hamann anymore.
It's your choice though but maybe you will think twice before you buy from them
good night i got to get a drink
Old 10-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mikolay_c' post='484009' date='Oct 20 2007, 05:39 PM
hey guys!!
i wanted to share with u about experience with Hamann company from Germany
i have a 2008 550 and i wanted to have quad exhaust on it.so i did. i ordered a Haman rear diffuser for quad exhaust and i must say i was shocked bc i ordered it one day and on the other day it was already at the airport in NY(excellent). then i did my exhaust-custom true magnaflow exhaust(very loud and deep!!!!). i took the diffuser to painshop and 2 days later i picked it up.it looked beautiful but the guy said right away that the diffuser is made of material of very poor quality.he said there were holes in it so he had to fix it. but whatever i was happy the way it looked. my mood changed though when i tried to put the diffuser o my car!!!!!
i was pissed bc the piece didn't really fit in to well and had couple of hooks and 2 screws o the bottom. it seems that the part is to narrow comparing to the bumper and i had hard time to put it together. i believe Hamann knows about it bc they provide u with an adhesive to put "a little bit" on the hooks( that's the part that comes appart from the bumper when i screw the diffuser to the bumper on the bottom)
seriously I'm a bit furious right now and it will take time for me to cool down. it would be ok if the part was cheap or replica but it's original part from Hamann Germany that cost me in total with painting and shipping about $1100.
From far away it looks really good but i guess i expected much better quality for that price.
i know i won't buy anything from Hamann anymore.
It's your choice though but maybe you will think twice before you buy from them
good night i got to get a drink
Sorry to hear about your experience with Hamann's diffuser... Where and when did you order your diffuser? Maybe they've sent a faulty product, you should email them regarding this. Right now I'm also waiting for my Hamann Diffuser which I've ordered sometime ago... I hope this wouldn't be the case for me also
Old 10-20-2007, 10:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

Well sorry to hear about this.. First off for the body guy who said their material quality was poor I find very hard to believe.. I think it was more that it took him some extra work to get it painted correctly. The one thing I like about Hamann is their quality material. Yes it is fiberglass however it is very strong fiber and can take some decent punches before it starts to crack or break. However most know that fiberglass isn't the best in the world. It doesn?t have the flexibility like polyurethane. Poly will bent and withstand more beating then fiber and when things do happen poly will usually just bend whereas fiber will most likely crack or break. However fiber also has its advantages as well. We could argue here all day which is better but it?s more of a user preference. Now like I stated hamann's fiberglass quality is quite good compared to most.

Now from what you've stated it doesn?t seem that it?s more of an issue of the quality of the product but more the fitment of it. Now as far as hamann's fitment is concerned I also think they do better then most. However once again as most of their parts being made form fiberglass you don?t have as much "play" as you do with other materials. So sometimes modifications as needed.

If I understand you correctly you are saying that the part is a little smaller then the cutout of the actual bumper? Do you happen to have any pics of the diffuser on your car? Usually diffusers do have a little separation from the bumper as they won't always be perfectly lined up. That?s why alot of people do molding and such to eliminate lines and gaps and make them look as though its one piece. Without seeing how bad the gaps are I can give you any judgment or answer that might help get it looking at little tighter for you.

Also though my name on the board is Hamann I don't advertise for them nor do I work for them in any way. I do like their products and think they make some great products however I don't like everything that Hamann does so I hope you know my statements about Hamann aren't biased or skewed to favor their product. I personally only have their full front bumper and badges. I personally don?t like their other products for the E60 for the exception of the M-tech diffuser and Roof wing.

I hope you can find a way to fix your diffuser and get it a little more suitable for what you were looking for. I also do agree with you that for the money that you pay for Hamann products you just be getting dam near flawless products so I know where you are coming from. I do realize you are unsatisfied and annoyed with the outcome of your diffuser but I hope you?re not discouraged from future interests in their products as for the most part Hamann is know for having a good overall quality product

Good Luck!! And when you get a chance post up some pics so we can maybe help you out a little better
Old 10-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 bmw 550i. carbon black.manual transmition. sport package. almost full version without night vision

well i was just really pissed at the time bc everybody was saying to me that the diffuser itself is nothing amazing as they would think it might be as of Hamann company!as i said from further away it looks great i love the look of the car now but the thing is that they've been selling those not for the first time so it should be perfect by now so nobody can be disappointed in any way. the gaps between the bumper and the diffuser are not that huge that i couldn't put it on but still i spend pretty long time with the adhesive to keep it in place and bend over backwards to squeeze the bumper so the hooks could at least click somehow in to the openings.i post some pictures later on to show how it came out(i hope pretty good at the end)
At the end my point is that i spent way to much time and effort to make it work and also i don't want anybody to be looking closer and telling me that it doesn't fit like original Hamann(doubting it origin) after i spent that much money.u know what i mean??And i"m usually never a pain in the ass if it goes about details
Thanks anyways for your reply
greets
P.S. Maybe i was just unlucky with this particular part, so good luck to u aznunknownx and everybody that chooses to buy the diffuser
Old 10-20-2007, 11:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

Originally Posted by mikolay_c' post='484074' date='Oct 20 2007, 11:30 PM
well i was just really pissed at the time bc everybody was saying to me that the diffuser itself is nothing amazing as they would think it might be as of Hamann company!as i said from further away it looks great i love the look of the car now but the thing is that they've been selling those not for the first time so it should be perfect by now so nobody can be disappointed in any way. the gaps between the bumper and the diffuser are not that huge that i couldn't put it on but still i spend pretty long time with the adhesive to keep it in place and bend over backwards to squeeze the bumper so the hooks could at least click somehow in to the openings.i post some pictures later on to show how it came out(i hope pretty good at the end)
At the end my point is that i spent way to much time and effort to make it work and also i don't want anybody to be looking closer and telling me that it doesn't fit like original Hamann(doubting it origin) after i spent that much money.u know what i mean??And i"m usually never a pain in the ass if it goes about details
Thanks anyways for your reply
greets
P.S. Maybe i was just unlucky with this particular part, so good luck to u aznunknownx and everybody that chooses to buy the diffuser
You're not alone. My Hamann diffuser is also a little narrower and it takes a lot of force to put it on like I mentioned when I got it: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=40294. From time to time the top part of the diffuser will pop off and I have to shove it back on. I didn't put on the adhesive because i'm afraid I won't be able to take off the diffuser later if I wanted to.

Also, you mentioned that the diffuser came with "holes." Do you mean little dents on the surface? My diffuser had a lot of those dents, as well as my Hamann front bumper. My body shop had to sand those down but it was a pain because there were a lot of them. He told me that this is just a property of fiberglass body parts.

Anyone know why Hamann decides to use fiberglass rather than anything else?

P.S. Only $1,100 for you??? So cheap...
Old 10-21-2007, 07:45 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2007

I have no complaints about mine.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

If the paint shop would tell me fiberglass is bad quality I'd change the paint shop immediately.

A paint shop should know how to do the job correctly on fiberglass...
Old 10-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

Originally Posted by Owen530i' post='484077' date='Oct 21 2007, 03:18 AM
Anyone know why Hamann decides to use fiberglass rather than anything else?
I assume its because fiberglass gives them the best molds for their bumpers. You can get more in detail when creating a bumper when using fiberglass opposed to poly or other materials. Fiberglass is also usually lighter then some other materials, thats not alwyas the case but it would seem as though Hamann has always been using fiberglass and I don't see them breaking their trend.

As with Iceman, I totally aggree. My statments about the body shop were orignally going to be more of the likes of your statment however I felt without knowing the shop its hard to say if maybe they actully did feel it was poor and they knew what they were doing. However as Hamann being such a well know company and their product know to be one that is surperior to most then I would guess that the bodyshop really didn't know how to do the job correctly and thus gave themselves a "way out" if the bumper didn't meet your standars.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 SE Auto in Black

Myhartge was the same on my e46, so asarule of thumb i trial fit anything before painting it, my hamann GTR side skirtswerealso the same not the best quality, buta decent paintshop can do a good job with thwm. Iwill begetting the hamann rear diffuser for the m5 bumper next year but i will make sure I trial fit it first, then get it painted and fitted
Old 10-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Have anybody heared of Ferrari or Vette?

Their body is fiber glass and as correctly Hamann5 said most of HAMANN products as regards parts are made of it except more unique ones of carbon kevlar.

Guys I am sorry to say but your bodyshops most of them seem to be FN lazy to do a nice job and also you are still complaining about money lol when you have a 5er e60 that is a luxury limusine and you pay this or that on it for this or that brand who really cares... If you have money buy it and if you really care about quality GO to a GOOD shop or if you cannot come here to Europe and I will teach you how to install it.

There are 5 main steps to install HAMANN diffuser anyway why you guys alway mention rear diffuser? post a pic of a front one? lol

Search for GOD our forums how many times told all of you, to get an O.E.=factory quality of any brand parts but specially HAMANN you need to put the part primed=when still not painted on the car to see if it fits or if there might be gaps etc, in my practice of my car or my friends or our customer we never have problems, sorry to say I mostly hear probs from US guys without being mean or personal.

If it fits cool you are happy if not then the lazy guys must get the part to fit the chassis or whatever part of your car. Once it is painted you cannot do anything modifiying the part, that is the reason that we ONLY SELL AND DELIVER unpainted parts.

So fiberglass is the easiest type of material you can still adjust or mod it before being final with the car.

If the part is ok, then you put on again before painting you check all the screws or its places and the comes paint.

The most important of a REAL HAMANN car done nicely is the PAINT!!!!!!!!!! YOu need to paint 5-6 X times the car to be nice it cost more than doing a cheap $-it job but the end result is what you get a factory look-like E60.

If you have any problems PM me or msn., and before any of you make any judgement be sure you know what you or the guys in the shop do or did.

Thank you, I will post when I find the installation guide and you will see what is important.

Also you all seemed to forget that the BMW M tech rear is also fiberglass and it is flexible so to change the diffuser part you need only 3 screws, to think lol and then P1 adhesive what you have always in the box if somebody does not take it out during the delivery, all parts and all instruction all stickers, papers are always included in any officially ordered authentic HAMANN shipment as they do not seal the box before checking twice at least for all these.

Good luck gentlemen!

Quick Reply: Hamann quality