E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

halogen to xenon conversion...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009 | 06:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i...just bought so in progress...dont know where to start??? Want to do: LCI Tails, Xenon Headlights, Tints, Wheels, Trunk and Roof Spoiler, iPod Adapter...the list goes on.

hey guys,

ive had my E60 for about 6 months and really want to start doing some of the mods I wanted to do all along. I'm only 23 but have many years of mechanic experience as I went to school for it and have worked in dealers since I was 16.

I'm in the process of buying a set of Xenon headlights from TheGermanOne and I have stock halogens. I am guessing that I can just swap the lights out and buy an HID kit with the D2S bulb and plug everything into the stock harness compatibility willing??

If I am looking into something more than a simple plug and play...which im sure I am...let me know EXACTLY what I would need to do as I have done some searching in the forums but could not come up with a clear answer and just want to know whats involved regarding the E60's vast electronics.

Thanks guys,

Justin
Old 01-07-2009 | 06:02 AM
Senior Members

if you want the one with projector then you can change headlight. but dont spend that much money to get HID. you can spend like $160 dollar from elitemotorsports and install them.
Old 01-07-2009 | 01:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i...just bought so in progress...dont know where to start??? Want to do: LCI Tails, Xenon Headlights, Tints, Wheels, Trunk and Roof Spoiler, iPod Adapter...the list goes on.

well i can get the projector lights pretty cheap and then i have a hid kit already..would just need the d2r bulbs...would the switch be that easy??
Old 01-07-2009 | 02:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by LiLifter247' post='762046' date='Jan 7 2009, 06:19 PM
well i can get the projector lights pretty cheap and then i have a hid kit already..would just need the d2r bulbs...would the switch be that easy??

You probably need to provide some more info. I had halogens like you (non projector halogens to be more specific). I bought a full set of BI Xenon headlights, non adaptive which included the bulbs and ballasts.....as for plug n play - not exactly.

Busta provided a good writeup = http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...hl=successfully

In a nutshell, the xenon wiring harness has an extra connection, which requires you to a) ground the ballast....then you will need to b) install a capacitor within the headlights to prevent the strobe effect.

Hope this helps...
Old 01-07-2009 | 04:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mag75' post='762113' date='Jan 7 2009, 06:37 PM
You probably need to provide some more info. I had halogens like you (non projector halogens to be more specific). I bought a full set of BI Xenon headlights, non adaptive which included the bulbs and ballasts.....as for plug n play - not exactly.

Busta provided a good writeup = http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...hl=successfully

In a nutshell, the xenon wiring harness has an extra connection, which requires you to a) ground the ballast....then you will need to b) install a capacitor within the headlights to prevent the strobe effect.

Hope this helps...
yes this definately helps...I am buying the headlights empty...so i am going to buy a HID kit aftermarket. Will this still require me to ground the ballast and install a capacitor?? ill read busta's thread.
Old 01-09-2009 | 09:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by LiLifter247' post='762215' date='Jan 7 2009, 08:52 PM
yes this definately helps...I am buying the headlights empty...so i am going to buy a HID kit aftermarket. Will this still require me to ground the ballast and install a capacitor?? ill read busta's thread.

If it is a HID kit - then no. You have to ground the ballast and add a capacitor when you are using OEM parts. On second thought, you might have to add a capacitor to the kit (or resistor, same thing I think) to prevent the lights from blinking and strobing.

I did the conversion myself but with OEM parts so I dont have exp with a kit.....are the headlights you are buying have projectors? If so, I am not sure where you can buy a kit that fits into a projector headlight
Old 01-27-2009 | 10:36 AM
Members

ok...im buying OEM xenon headlights...they are just shells that dont include the lights ballasts ignitors etc...I want to get them and then install an aftermarket HID kit into the OEM headlamp...is that possible??
Old 01-27-2009 | 11:02 AM
Contributors

you'll need a D2S hid kit