E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

hairline scratches and swirlmarks on wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 520i

i've got hairline scratches and swirl marks on my high polish DPE wheels...

anyone used some kinda polish or wheel wax?

im afraid to use any polish i am afraid that it will cause even more scratches because the surface is already rough from all those road tar and debris that is stuck on the lip,

how about claying the wheels first? never heard anything about that though..

any reviews will be appreciated , especially someone with high polished wheels
Old 02-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

I clay my wheels. It makes them smooth as butter. Throw a sealant on top and you're good to go.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 M3 E60 530i

i use metal polisher...

Apply with paper towel and take it off with towel. For the inner barrell, i used steelwool to clean the breake dust
Old 02-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sylver' post='532850' date='Feb 18 2008, 05:59 PM
i use metal polisher...

Apply with paper towel and take it off with towel. For the inner barrell, i used steelwool to clean the breake dust
Steel Wool That's not the way to clean allow wheels ...
Old 02-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 1995 M3

Originally Posted by xxterxx' post='532828' date='Feb 18 2008, 04:54 PM
i've got hairline scratches and swirl marks on my high polish DPE wheels...

anyone used some kinda polish or wheel wax?

im afraid to use any polish i am afraid that it will cause even more scratches because the surface is already rough from all those road tar and debris that is stuck on the lip,

how about claying the wheels first? never heard anything about that though..

any reviews will be appreciated , especially someone with high polished wheels
WENOL

* Wenol? Metal Polish "RED Original"

This is the "original" Wenol that was developed for use on hard metal surfaces, such as stainless steel. It has outstanding properties for use on metal parts going into high and ultra high vacuum systems. The liquid carrier has good solvency and is easily removed with most hydrocarbon solvents. This is the preferred cleaner and polish for electron microscope applications. This is also the preferred Wenol for use on stainless steel whereever it is found, such as in commercial kitchens, etc.
A note of caution:
Remember that what makes it so efficaceous on a hard metal surface could make it highly destructive to a plastic surface. This form of Wenol should never be used on any plastic surface and should never be used on automotive paint.

Wenol polishes

* Auto and Motorcycle Wenol? "Blue"

Sometimes called "blue" Wenol, this product is formulated for use as a cleaner and polish on automotive surfaces such as stainless steel, chrome plate and also, aluminum, which is relatively speaking, a "soft" metal. Most other polishes because of their high abrasivity, would be quite destructive to aluminum. We recommend this Wenol therefore for all automotive application except directly on the automotive paint surfaces. We believe that the product is still ba bit too abrasive for the safe use on paint coatings.

Wenol polishes

* Wenol? Unique Hard Wax Car Polish "Pink"

Sometimes called "pink" Wenol, this product has been formulated to be non-abrasive and is appropriate as a polish and protectant for all automotive paint coatings. We do not recommend use of this Wenol on the polished metal or chrome coated surface; for those applications, use "blue" Wen

Best stuff out there by far.
I would use the "blue" and the "pink"
If you have deeper scratches use the "red" first.
Do not use of clear coated finishes or paint.

You can buy it HERE

BP
Old 02-18-2008, 05:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 M3 E60 530i

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='532861' date='Feb 18 2008, 03:37 PM
Steel Wool That's not the way to clean allow wheels ...
I steelwool the inner barrel, the results is amazing, i should've took before and after pictures of my iForged before i clean them. LOL no way i would steel would the lip/face of the wheels.