E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ground clearance Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

What is the ground clearance (height) (given the same tire/wheel setup) difference between:

1. Stock front bumper vs. mtech/m5?
2. Stock rear bumper vs. the m5 rear bumper (at the far end)?
3. Stock side skirts vs. mtech/m5?
4. Breyton front lip addon?
5. ACS front lip addon?

I can't decide which mod I'm going to go with that I won't change my mind later on?

Thanks guys/gals.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:42 AM
Senior Members

i have this experience already, i changed my entire body, inc rear, front, sides aswell, and had the car lowered a further 35mm on eibach, as i had 20s on, the ride hieght became to high, so it had to be lowered, i still have well enough clearance for even the highest road bumbs here in the UK (Pathetic road conditions here)

You can change all of the options you mentioned, without worring too much about grounding out. The only small concern would be the add on lips at the front, these may need to driven slow with around the bumbs area, and when pulling up onto a curve to park,

certainly keep the E60 out of womens hands, if you want the add on lip to survive some time...!!!

Good luck, and get us some pics of the finished job
Old 09-18-2007, 07:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by E60BEEMER' post='470646' date='Sep 18 2007, 04:42 AM
i have this experience already, i changed my entire body, inc rear, front, sides aswell, and had the car lowered a further 35mm on eibach, as i had 20s on, the ride hieght became to high, so it had to be lowered, i still have well enough clearance for even the highest road bumbs here in the UK (Pathetic road conditions here)

You can change all of the options you mentioned, without worring too much about grounding out. The only small concern would be the add on lips at the front, these may need to driven slow with around the bumbs area, and when pulling up onto a curve to park,

certainly keep the E60 out of womens hands, if you want the add on lip to survive some time...!!!

Good luck, and get us some pics of the finished job
I'm deciding between a breyton lip and the mtech (both of which I like), but I'm afraid the breyton might add another 2-3 inches to the stock or the mtech. Is the mtech front ground clearance lower thnn the stock bumper? I plan to keep the stock 124 rims for now. The front is already low, I don't know if the breyton will be too low with stock 124 and sport suspension.

In Houston, the road problem is ingress/egress from parking lots that are typically higher elevated than the road which causes the front lip to scrape if you don't approach at an angle. My existing front bumper (stock) has already been scraped from higher than normal curbs in the parking lots I frequent.

I'm wondering if anyone has a breyton front with mtech side skirts and m5 or stock rears? I don't want to create a funny looking 5er with a piece here and there.

The case of women driver avoidance is certainly true for my wife. That's why she drives a Sequoia. I've ordered her some 20" Enkei RT6, but now I'm having second thoughts because the existing tire walls running on 16" are ready messed up.

Thanks for all your inputs.