E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Got the Cold Air Intake with my Remus quad on the 550 :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 01:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replied on a few other threads, but I figured I should post. It's raining so no sound clips yet, but imsortofabigdeal got to hear it firsthand. I got the AFE cold air intake installed at EuroRev the same day he was there with his badass 530. Which btw, I must say with the smoked taillights and the m5 rear end looks sick, and the roof wing from AC Schnitzer also looks great. I'm thinking of adding that, but man that's pricey.

Anyway, I had thru my other thread http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=45964
went thru the saga of being one of the first guys doing a quad Remus setup. socalm5mang came by to hear it at my house, and rodybmw got to hear it at eurorev. Rodybmw was critical in doing the research in figuring that the quad 530 remus would fit on the 550 with a small clamp adjustment.

After about a thousand miles the remus finally broke in and it sounded great. Growling when I took off, and started the car, but no droning. It was to be honest a wee bit too quiet for me, but I could do conference calls in the car with the windows up. I found myself always driving with the 4 windows down and sunroof just to hear the sweet sound.

Then socalm5mang swung by and hearing is 08 with the CAI, convinced me to get one. He went with the AAA setup for his 550
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=48625

And I was jealous and literally couldn't get out of my head his quote " She sounds like a TEUTONIC BEAST!".

So on wed I got the AFE installed and now the combo remus/cai is PERFECT! No droning whatsoever still, but now the combination of that great wooshing sound from the engine bay, the extra air for the exhaust and this thing really sings.

imsortofabigdeal stood outside of eurorev as I launched the 550. I'd love for him to post his opinion of the sound compared to his exhaust.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=48862

It's raining crazy here in LA, but I hope to get a video with sound up next week when the rain stops. It's just that after listening to all the sound clips on this board and youtube, it never sounds like what it does in person. I'm in LA if anyone wants to PM me to swing by to hear it.

on a side note, my damn hamann diffuser after 2 adjustments still doesn't fit right. I gotta go back to have them pull it off and glue it back in, kind of frustrated
Old 01-05-2008, 02:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

hey man,

Yeah I was there, I think the AFE made a big difference in the sound of the exhaust, I wish my car sounded like that. It was a very clean growl, not too loud, but just right. The AFE sounded sweet, with the woosh it made when the engine was revved.

I went and got an AFE install myself =)

About the Hamann bumper, you gotta get it fixed, a lot of people have complaints about it.

It was nice to meet you. Beautiful car, all you need is splitters now =)
Old 01-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Senior Members

Glad to see you're liking it even more each day!
Now let's get sound clips
Old 01-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Silver 535i Virgin--Becoming a Beast!

Originally Posted by ImSort0fABigDeal' post='513940' date='Jan 5 2008, 03:07 AM
hey man,

Yeah I was there, I think the AFE made a big difference in the sound of the exhaust, I wish my car sounded like that. It was a very clean growl, not too loud, but just right. The AFE sounded sweet, with the woosh it made when the engine was revved.

I went and got an AFE install myself =)

About the Hamann bumper, you gotta get it fixed, a lot of people have complaints about it.

It was nice to meet you. Beautiful car, all you need is splitters now =)
You guys are killing me!~

Ryan is going to put up my Exhaust Video/Sound clips soon. I think you guys are going to be most impressed with my Custom Quad/AFE sound. From FED CAPER and RODYBMW, "It sounds better than RDS Custom Quad"!!!! I does have a bit of droning between 1200 and 2100 RPM's. (Liveable and I can make Bluetooth calls no problem)

Peter---Psyched for you bro! Congrats! That sucks about the Hamann Diffuser. Make sure you get it right or you'll drive yourself crazy over time.

I'msortofabigdeal----I'm getting the Eurorev custom Carbon Fiber ACS Diffuser and the custom Carbon Fiber Splitters in the front hopefully within the next two weeks. Waiting for Robert at EuroRev to get back to me.

Guys---the AFE CAI definitely makes a huge difference on the V-8. Have not heard it in person on the V6 but from accounts it also is very impressive sounding.

One word of caution on the AFE CAI. If you live in areas of high dust/canyon (So Cal) etc, you need to clean it once every 3 months or so. The filter sucks in debris like nobody's business. I just ordered my cleaning kit and plan on cleaning it myself once this rain stops (it looks pretty simple although I'm not handy).

I just received my Blacked out Kidney Grills and ACS Badges and am psyched to install them.

How hard is it to pry off the BMW Hood and Boot badges and replace? Anybody done it? They say to get fiber cloth towel and butter knife and pry off. What about the Kidney grills? Is this something a non-professional can do?

Again Peter--mad props and congrats bro! To you too I'msortofabigdeal!

Stay dry this weekend fellas!

So Cal (Jay C)
Old 01-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by SoCalM5Mang' post='514048' date='Jan 5 2008, 03:55 PM
You guys are killing me!~

Ryan is going to put up my Exhaust Video/Sound clips soon. I think you guys are going to be most impressed with my Custom Quad/AFE sound. From FED CAPER and RODYBMW, "It sounds better than RDS Custom Quad"!!!! I does have a bit of droning between 1200 and 2100 RPM's. (Liveable and I can make Bluetooth calls no problem)

Peter---Psyched for you bro! Congrats! That sucks about the Hamann Diffuser. Make sure you get it right or you'll drive yourself crazy over time.

I'msortofabigdeal----I'm getting the Eurorev custom Carbon Fiber ACS Diffuser and the custom Carbon Fiber Splitters in the front hopefully within the next two weeks. Waiting for Robert at EuroRev to get back to me.

Guys---the AFE CAI definitely makes a huge difference on the V-8. Have not heard it in person on the V6 but from accounts it also is very impressive sounding.

One word of caution on the AFE CAI. If you live in areas of high dust/canyon (So Cal) etc, you need to clean it once every 3 months or so. The filter sucks in debris like nobody's business. I just ordered my cleaning kit and plan on cleaning it myself once this rain stops (it looks pretty simple although I'm not handy).

I just received my Blacked out Kidney Grills and ACS Badges and am psyched to install them.

How hard is it to pry off the BMW Hood and Boot badges and replace? Anybody done it? They say to get fiber cloth towel and butter knife and pry off. What about the Kidney grills? Is this something a non-professional can do?

Again Peter--mad props and congrats bro! To you too I'msortofabigdeal!

Stay dry this weekend fellas!

So Cal (Jay C)

I can't wait to hear your exhaust socal. I bet you it's got more muscle than mine, with the xpipe and all. Do you hear yours at idle? i.e. at a stop light? Mine doesn't and kind of wish it had a little sound at a light.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Love my AFE CAI. It changes the entire sound of the car, esp when you have a new exhaust as well. Glad you like it.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Silver 535i Virgin--Becoming a Beast!

Originally Posted by newbiebimmer' post='514088' date='Jan 5 2008, 03:22 PM
I can't wait to hear your exhaust socal. I bet you it's got more muscle than mine, with the xpipe and all. Do you hear yours at idle? i.e. at a stop light? Mine doesn't and kind of wish it had a little sound at a light.
You can hear it, but it's not silly/ricey sounding. When I "get on her" at WOT, UH-OH! She's a beast and let's folks know she is coming. When I get it to 4000 RPM's and above it's "MADNESS".

After I get the rest of my mods done, I'll swing by and you can see and hear for yourself.

So Cal
Old 01-06-2008, 08:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

Originally Posted by SoCalM5Mang' post='514199' date='Jan 5 2008, 08:29 PM
You can hear it, but it's not silly/ricey sounding. When I "get on her" at WOT, UH-OH! She's a beast and let's folks know she is coming. When I get it to 4000 RPM's and above it's "MADNESS".

After I get the rest of my mods done, I'll swing by and you can see and hear for yourself.

So Cal
just to let you know, the ACS grill badge doesn't fit, I bought it from BAV AUTO, the bolt in back is too short for the grill slats
Old 01-07-2008, 02:35 AM
Contributors

Peter and Steven.......I went to Eurorev the same day you guys were there as well to give them my custom diffuser so that they could correct some things on it and finish it up. Vincent told me that you were there that day for the AFE Peter.

Peter, not to hijack your thread but I got the Remus I6 quads installed on my 545 a couple of weeks ago as well....thanks for letting me hear yours first. I will post a full review with pics and hopefully video clips after my diffuser is finished, but for now here's my impression so far. I can't honestly say that I have no droning at all....I do seem to have some, but it's the least amount of droning that I've heard in all the V8 E60's with modded exhausts that I've been in ( I don't know about the RD Sport because Joe's car didn't seem to have droning while another V8 E60 with the RD Sport that I heard in person did have droning and vibrations). I did not hear it in your car Peter when Vincent drove it around the block, but to be honest he didn't really put it through all the possible scenarios where droning is most likely to occur. So I don't know whether your's would also have it in the same scenarios or whether something is different on my 545. Either way it is not even remotely close to unbearable and to be honest most people would probably not even consider it droning but just normal exhaust sounds. The interesting thing is when cruising at freeway speeds (70-80 mph) in 6th gear not only is there no droning at all but it even seems to be quieter than the stock exhaust at that same speed. I love the deep yet civilized sound. I'm very happy with the Remus........at least for now. The only thing that I'm not sure of are the tips......they look good from behind if you're standing about 15 feet away, but as you come up close they look weird. Also, the chrome on the tips only go in maybe 3" and then turn to black. The Hamann diffuser or the OEM E60 bumper will hide the black part so than only the chrome is visible, but my custom diffuser is based on the OEM M-Tech diffuser which does not protrude like the Hamann diffuser or OEM E60 bumper, so when looking at it from the side you can see the tips are half chrome/half black :thumbsdown: . I may have the tips changed out at AAA.

I know the 550 AFE can be custom modded to fit the 545 (as Joe had done on his), but they don't actually make one for the 545..........so at this point I'm not going to do it on mine.......that is until I hear yours in person and decide that I have to have it Maybe I'll call you one of these days Peter and come over to listen to the AFE/Remus combo .

Jay.......your custom Remus setup sounded Really awesome from outside (and inside). If it were just a bit quieter inside the cabin and the droning could be eliminated it would be the best quad I've heard so far. It does sound better than the RD Sport IMO.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

Which tips did you opted for? 04G ?
We offer the 78 tips, which are embossed/stamped and are much thicker and bigger, 3.31".

Quick Reply: Got the Cold Air Intake with my Remus quad on the 550 :)