E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Goodbye run flats....

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 08:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jun 30 2005, 04:03 PM
[quote name='teriyaki88' date='Jun 30 2005, 02:26 PM']I called the dealer and they said i NEED to replace my RF's with only RF's.? It is guy telling the truth?? He said it will mess up the Flat Tire monitor or something.
I'd like to get something not as hard/firm as RF's.?? My co-worker replaced his RF on 2004 745 with Pirelli's and he also loves them. I'm wondering if i should do the same.

Can you replace RF with Non RF's?
[snapback]144692[/snapback]
The dealer is simply wrong. On the E60, you can use whatever type of tire you want. Just remember that if you choose a non-runflat, you should have at least a donut spare in the trunk. The FTM will work perfectly with whatever type of tire you install, you just have to re-initialize the system once all the tires are mounted and the pressures are where you want them...
[snapback]144808[/snapback]
[/quote]

I just swapped out my Dunlop RFT's after 22,000 miles. I changed to Mich Pilot Sport2. The tires were actually cheaper at Discount Tires compared to Costco. They tried to add on their 'certificate' to my bill for $85 for rear and $75 for front. This is their extended warranty which replaces tires for defaults. I told them to remove it. Just for tires + balancing, it came up to $1217 before tax.

The ride is noticebly improved. It is much quieter and smoother. I really notice it on small bumps and pot holes. It does roll a bit more on the turns but overall ride is better.

Teriyaki
Old 07-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 525iA, silvergray, steptronic, Active steering, PDC, sport seats, beige dakotaleather, poppel trim, M-sport steering wheel, star spoke 123, xenon lights, large clima, cruise control.

Me and my businesspartner have exactly the same car except the tyres. He?s got Dunlop and I got Bridgestone. Can?t say there are any difference. But I can say I won?t go for RF?s when its time to change because the lack of comfort and also for the price, I had a puncture last month, change one RF = $690.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d Sport A - Dec 04. Titanium Silver. Nav Pro

Originally Posted by idoru' date='Jul 5 2005, 04:08 PM
[quote name='IrishEyes' date='Jun 30 2005, 09:47 PM']I'm waiting for my E60 to arrive at the end of July and as part of the deal I got the dealer to swap whatever run-flats it comes in with with NON run flats.

At the time of the deal I never specified what tyres I wanted and I'm not going to let him stitch me up with the cheapest rubber he can lay his hands on.

So, I'll have to think about what tyre I'm going to replace them with. I reckon Pirelli's are probably more of a performance tyre but Michelins may probably last longer.

Anyone with any suggestions for a good all rounder?

[snapback]144759[/snapback]

You should add ContiSportContact2's to your list... significant improvement in terms of noise, ride quality, grip and handling compared to standard Goodyear NCT05 RFTs that come with UK Sport models... also you've done well getting the dealer to swap out the RFTs on delivery. mine refused point blank. Perhaps that's why they've just closed down...
[snapback]145948[/snapback]
[/quote]

I absolutely agree!!! I have just replaced my Goodyear Run Flats (245/40 18") with Continental Sport Contact 2. Well, it is a different car now!. The ride quality, handling, comfort is way above the RF fitted car. I will wait another year or two before I try RF tyres again. They simply are not "there" yet with the technology.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:17 AM
RAI
Members

You should add ContiSportContact2's to your list... significant improvement in terms of noise, ride quality, grip and handling compared to standard Goodyear NCT05 RFTs that come with UK Sport models... also you've done well getting the dealer to swap out the RFTs on delivery. mine refused point blank. Perhaps that's why they've just closed down...
[snapback]145948[/snapback]
[/quote]

I absolutely agree!!! I have just replaced my Goodyear Run Flats (245/40 18") with Continental Sport Contact 2. Well, it is a different car now!. The ride quality, handling, comfort is way above the RF fitted car. I will wait another year or two before I try RF tyres again. They simply are not "there" yet with the technology.
[snapback]151505[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ditto with regard to ContiSportContact2's being wonderful tires for an E60. I installed a set about 10,000 miles ago, and couldn't be happier. Ride and noise are both tremendously improved. The Contis are a fantastic match to the E60 SP in all respects. A wonderful all-around tire. I tried Michelin PS2s first, and didn't like them. The PS2s handle wonderfully (even better than the Contis), but there's too much tread noise and ride harshness compared to the Contis, plus I could never get the PS2s balanced well above 65 mph. The Contis look good too.

Regards,
RAI
Old 07-23-2005, 12:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by Ricracing' date='Jul 8 2005, 03:05 AM
Has anybody tried out Bridgestone Potenza RE050? You can get them with or without RF feature.

What I read from european carmagazines they would seem the best choice. Low noice and smooth ride.

I also testdrived them in the size 245/50 17" (RF) and they seemed very quiet.

PS. I will get my second E60 today at 2 p.m. The new car is described below.
I now drive a Mystic Blau 525iA 2004.
[snapback]146861[/snapback]

This is exactly my case.... I'm swithing from RFT to non-rf Bridgestone Potenza RE050.... Can't wait (next week) got them at a BMW dealership 195EUR each including installation
Old 07-23-2005, 02:13 PM
Senior Members

If you have less than 10k miles, I sure as heck hope BMW paid the replacement bill.