E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Goodbye run flats....

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 07:59 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Ahh, performance run-flats, an oxymoron if there ever was one. Just go 'commando' style like me, no run flats and no spare tire (given over to the audio system)
Old 07-04-2005, 09:52 PM
Senior Members

in most of the cars you can see the pressure from each wheel seperate. Is there a possibility to see it somwhere ?
Old 07-05-2005, 12:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by MaxBuck' date='Jul 4 2005, 04:32 PM
IrishEyes, get onto TireRack.com.? Although I doubt they will ship tires (i.e., "tyres") to Ireland, their website is excellent for checking user reviews of all tires available within a given type - max performance summer, for example.? The you can shop locally for the optimum rubber for your vehicle.

Good luck!
[snapback]145706[/snapback]
Excellent. Thanks for that. I'll have a play and see what transpires - or trans-tires.

Cheers
Old 07-05-2005, 07:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d Sport Touring, Carbon Black, Dakota Black Leather, Maple Wood interior trim "How much more black could this be? And the answer is ‘None. None...more black’ " - David St Hubbins, Spinal Tap

Originally Posted by IrishEyes' date='Jun 30 2005, 09:47 PM
I'm waiting for my E60 to arrive at the end of July and as part of the deal I got the dealer to swap whatever run-flats it comes in with with NON run flats.

At the time of the deal I never specified what tyres I wanted and I'm not going to let him stitch me up with the cheapest rubber he can lay his hands on.

So, I'll have to think about what tyre I'm going to replace them with. I reckon Pirelli's are probably more of a performance tyre but Michelins may probably last longer.

Anyone with any suggestions for a good all rounder?

[snapback]144759[/snapback]

You should add ContiSportContact2's to your list... significant improvement in terms of noise, ride quality, grip and handling compared to standard Goodyear NCT05 RFTs that come with UK Sport models... also you've done well getting the dealer to swap out the RFTs on delivery. mine refused point blank. Perhaps that's why they've just closed down...
Old 07-06-2005, 08:07 PM
Senior Members

Just ordered a replacement for my Pirelli Pzero...(22k miles) i ordered the Toyo Proxes T1R..seemed descent and great reviews....at$920 total installed, i think are a bargain... to be installed tomorrow and an aligment on Friday $180 for alignment because of active suspension.. :'(
Old 07-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jun 30 2005, 05:03 PM
[quote name='teriyaki88' date='Jun 30 2005, 02:26 PM']I called the dealer and they said i NEED to replace my RF's with only RF's.? It is guy telling the truth?? He said it will mess up the Flat Tire monitor or something.
I'd like to get something not as hard/firm as RF's.?? My co-worker replaced his RF on 2004 745 with Pirelli's and he also loves them. I'm wondering if i should do the same.

Can you replace RF with Non RF's?
[snapback]144692[/snapback]
The dealer is simply wrong. On the E60, you can use whatever type of tire you want. Just remember that if you choose a non-runflat, you should have at least a donut spare in the trunk. The FTM will work perfectly with whatever type of tire you install, you just have to re-initialize the system once all the tires are mounted and the pressures are where you want them...
[snapback]144808[/snapback]
[/quote]

Rudy is absolutely correct. The RTF system simply detects when one tire is rotating more rapidly than normal, indicating a change in air pressure/rolling radius. Changing out the runflats is one of the best things you can do for your car.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by idoru' date='Jul 5 2005, 04:08 PM
You should add ContiSportContact2's to your list... significant improvement in terms of noise, ride quality, grip and handling compared to standard Goodyear NCT05 RFTs that come with UK Sport models... also you've done well getting the dealer to swap out the RFTs on delivery. mine refused point blank. Perhaps that's why they've just closed down...?
[snapback]145948[/snapback]
Hi idoru,

When I bought my E60 last year the dealer was looking for an additonal ?550 for swapping the tyres. Needless to say, I declined his offer that time.

This time I had one dealer batting against the other. I squeezed both as hard as I could and in both cases they agreed they would swap the tyres as part of the deal. Amazing what a little pressure will bring.

So now, I have to decide on going with non-RF's and glide in serene comfort or hope that improvements in RF tyre technology over the last year has reduced the harshness in the RF construction.

I take it you swapped for ContiSportContact2's?
I'll certainly keep this in mind when deciding on what tyre I'll go for.

Cheers for that
Old 07-08-2005, 12:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Has anybody tried out Bridgestone Potenza RE050? You can get them with or without RF feature.

What I read from european carmagazines they would seem the best choice. Low noice and smooth ride.

I also testdrived them in the size 245/50 17" (RF) and they seemed very quiet.

PS. I will get my second E60 today at 2 p.m. The new car is described below.
I now drive a Mystic Blau 525iA 2004.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' date='Jul 8 2005, 09:05 AM
Has anybody tried out Bridgestone Potenza RE050? You can get them with or without RF feature.

What I read from european carmagazines they would seem the best choice. Low noice and smooth ride.

I also testdrived them in the size 245/50 17" (RF) and they seemed very quiet.

PS. I will get my second E60 today at 2 p.m. The new car is described below.
I now drive a Mystic Blau 525iA 2004.
[snapback]146861[/snapback]
Hi,

Did u go for non- run flats?

In my case, because I have tyre swap as part of the deal, I think some of the choice will be down to whatever tyre shop the car dealer deals with. They may not have the full range in stock. They could probably get it I assume but I would think the initial choice might be poor.

Old 07-08-2005, 12:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by IrishEyes' date='Jul 8 2005, 10:13 AM
Hi,

Did u go for non- run flats?

In my case, because I have tyre swap as part of the deal, I think some of the choice will be down to whatever tyre shop the car dealer deals with. They may not have the full range in stock. They could probably get it I assume but I would think the initial choice might be poor.?

[snapback]146864[/snapback]
Hello IrishEyes,

No, I will take the tires from my old car (driven 24.600 km, approx. half of this with winter tires).

But I feel that the 18" Dunlop RF:s are pretty hard and noicy and I have thaught that I would buy new tires.

Quick Reply: Goodbye run flats....