E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Goodbye run flats....

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 09:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 535d MSport ; Retired at 110,000 miles October 2010: 2010 535d MSport; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Adaptive Xenons, High Beam assistant, Prof. Nav, Voice Control,SAT, Adaptive Drive, Powered boot, Comfort Access, Climate Comfort W/Screen, Surround View, Side/Rear Sunblinds, Comfort Seats, HUD, Active Cruise, TV, Prof Loudspeaker, Night Vision, Lane Change warning, 4-Zone A/C, split rear seats, Speed Limit Display

Just picked up my car from getting rid of the ( Goodyear ) run flats after 2000 miles...replaced with Pirelli PZero Rosso.....what a difference...its quieter, it feels firm but without the nervousness and fidgetting everytime I drive over rough surfaces and larger bumps get smoother out...its just a different , better car.

Now I know for sure why the E60 M5 I testdrove was a better ride....it doesn't use run flats!
Old 06-30-2005, 10:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

Originally Posted by cerbera' date='Jun 30 2005, 10:42 AM
Just picked up my car from getting rid of the ( Goodyear ) run flats after 2000 miles...replaced with Pirelli PZero Rosso.....what a difference...its quieter, it feels? firm but without the nervousness and fidgetting everytime I drive over rough surfaces and larger bumps get smoother out...its just a different , better car.

Now I know for sure why the E60 M5 I testdrove was a better ride....it doesn't use run flats!
[snapback]144672[/snapback]
I need to replace my Dunlop RunFlats. I didn't have the noise like some of you and i actually have 22,000 miles on mine. I called the dealer and they said i NEED to replace my RF's with only RF's. It is guy telling the truth? He said it will mess up the Flat Tire monitor or something.
I'd like to get something not as hard/firm as RF's. My co-worker replaced his RF on 2004 745 with Pirelli's and he also loves them. I'm wondering if i should do the same.

Can you replace RF with Non RF's?
Old 06-30-2005, 10:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 535d MSport ; Retired at 110,000 miles October 2010: 2010 535d MSport; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Adaptive Xenons, High Beam assistant, Prof. Nav, Voice Control,SAT, Adaptive Drive, Powered boot, Comfort Access, Climate Comfort W/Screen, Surround View, Side/Rear Sunblinds, Comfort Seats, HUD, Active Cruise, TV, Prof Loudspeaker, Night Vision, Lane Change warning, 4-Zone A/C, split rear seats, Speed Limit Display

All I can say is that the runflats ( 245/40X18 ) were replaced by the Pirellis without any chnage to the wheel, and the TPM works fine afterwards.

Since the pressure sensor on each wheel is attached to the wheel, not the tyre, I can't see how it knows if its a run flat or not.

I had TPM on my last car, which was never available with run flats, and the wheel sensors were identical.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:00 AM
Senior Members

Just got mine RUN FLAT changed to Michelin Pilot 245/45R17 - What a difference!! It's like day and night!!

It's so qiuet without those damm RFT tires
Old 06-30-2005, 12:08 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cerbera' date='Jun 30 2005, 12:45 PM
Since the pressure sensor on each wheel is attached to the wheel, not the tyre, I can't see how it knows if its a run flat or not.
[snapback]144700[/snapback]
It's a small point but there is no sensor on the wheel. The FTM system uses the abs sensors to measures the rotational speed of each wheel. If a single wheel increases speed this indicates a flat as the rolling resistance has changed in relation to the other wheels. I still cannot understand why BMW do not programme the software to tell you which wheel is flat as you cannot tell with runflats which one has lost air unless you pressure check each tyre until you find the flat
Old 06-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

I'm waiting for my E60 to arrive at the end of July and as part of the deal I got the dealer to swap whatever run-flats it comes in with with NON run flats.

At the time of the deal I never specified what tyres I wanted and I'm not going to let him stitch me up with the cheapest rubber he can lay his hands on.

So, I'll have to think about what tyre I'm going to replace them with. I reckon Pirelli's are probably more of a performance tyre but Michelins may probably last longer.

Anyone with any suggestions for a good all rounder?

Old 06-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by E60Sim' date='Jun 30 2005, 02:00 PM
Just got mine RUN FLAT changed to Michelin Pilot 245/45R17 - What a difference!! It's like day and night!!

It's so qiuet without those damm RFT tires
[snapback]144707[/snapback]
Totally agree
Old 06-30-2005, 12:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

I also swapped the runflats for standard tyres. I can also confirm the "pressure sensor" unaffected - as it is based upon rolling circumference rather han actual pressure (dealer service department didn't know this, but more knowledgeable salesperson did!)
However, I had thought the wheels would need changing. In fact I bought a set of standard wheels and tyres taken off a demonstrator (some innocent wanted these changed for runflats!) for less than the price of the tyres.

Don't forget you need a spare wheel and jack set - this comes as a standard set at a reasonable price
Old 06-30-2005, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by teriyaki88' date='Jun 30 2005, 02:26 PM
I called the dealer and they said i NEED to replace my RF's with only RF's.? It is guy telling the truth?? He said it will mess up the Flat Tire monitor or something.
I'd like to get something not as hard/firm as RF's.? My co-worker replaced his RF on 2004 745 with Pirelli's and he also loves them. I'm wondering if i should do the same.

Can you replace RF with Non RF's?
[snapback]144692[/snapback]
The dealer is simply wrong. On the E60, you can use whatever type of tire you want. Just remember that if you choose a non-runflat, you should have at least a donut spare in the trunk. The FTM will work perfectly with whatever type of tire you install, you just have to re-initialize the system once all the tires are mounted and the pressures are where you want them...
Old 07-04-2005, 07:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

Originally Posted by IrishEyes' date='Jun 30 2005, 04:47 PM
I'm waiting for my E60 to arrive at the end of July and as part of the deal I got the dealer to swap whatever run-flats it comes in with with NON run flats.

At the time of the deal I never specified what tyres I wanted and I'm not going to let him stitch me up with the cheapest rubber he can lay his hands on.

So, I'll have to think about what tyre I'm going to replace them with. I reckon Pirelli's are probably more of a performance tyre but Michelins may probably last longer.

Anyone with any suggestions for a good all rounder?

[snapback]144759[/snapback]
IrishEyes, get onto TireRack.com. Although I doubt they will ship tires (i.e., "tyres") to Ireland, their website is excellent for checking user reviews of all tires available within a given type - max performance summer, for example. The you can shop locally for the optimum rubber for your vehicle.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Goodbye run flats....