E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Gentleman: Apple your BMW

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 10:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i HUD, comfort seats, PDC, moon roof, Logic 7, Nav, Steptronic, K7 and diffusers, Aux-in for iPod!

what do you think? forget your iPod, just put your Mac mini in the glove compartment, run iTunes and the visualizer, and a sweet little bluetooth mouse.

only question is how to sync? well, via Airport Extreme, if your car is close enough to the Airport Extreme base station. so, whenever you want to sync with your home computer, just power on the Mac mini, synchronize music folders, and off your go.

FINALLY - something to do with that iDrive screen. for those of you with HUD, you don't even need the screen for navigation.

huh, huh, huh??? let's do it - the ultimate hack! plus, you can connect any bluetooth phone to your Mac mini - heck, even use Salling Clicker and use your bluetooth phone as the mouse, and then when someone calls, the number appears on the iDrive screen, etc. your range of phones has just exploded!

forget BMW - we'll do them one better after January 22.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i HUD, comfort seats, PDC, moon roof, Logic 7, Nav, Steptronic, K7 and diffusers, Aux-in for iPod!

one more thing: better to get a flip up or down LCD screen than patch into the iDrive. this way, you can flip up and down as required.

so: Mac mini in the glove compartment, AC converter (not sure if the unit runs off DC after the power brick), audio out into the auxiliary input of the glove compartment, then Salling Cllicker with bluetooth control, Airport Extreme to connect to home network, Apple address book caller ID via bluetooth, and of course, DVD from the Mac mini combo drive to the video output, to the flip up LCD screen.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Members

??
Attached Thumbnails Gentleman: Apple your BMW-macmini_all2.jpg   Gentleman: Apple your BMW-macmini_all9.jpg  
Old 01-11-2005, 11:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

already got one on order!

will arrive 28 of januari.

I'll try if it fits in the glove compartment

Also you can charge your new Ipod Shuffle keyhanger
Attached Thumbnails Gentleman: Apple your BMW-shuffle.jpg  
Old 01-12-2005, 01:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by garehaan' date='Jan 12 2005, 09:46 AM
already got one on order!

will arrive 28 of januari.

I'll try if it fits in the glove compartment

Also you can charge your new Ipod Shuffle keyhanger
[snapback]78361[/snapback]
Cool! I'd love to check it out if you install it...
Old 01-12-2005, 04:51 AM
Contributors

i like this little thing, but how will you supply power to the Mac mini?
Old 01-12-2005, 05:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mwsu545i' date='Jan 12 2005, 01:52 AM
what do you think? forget your iPod, just put your Mac mini in the glove compartment, run iTunes and the visualizer, and a sweet little bluetooth mouse.

only question is how to sync? well, via Airport Extreme, if your car is close enough to the Airport Extreme base station. so, whenever you want to sync with your home computer, just power on the Mac mini, synchronize music folders, and off your go.

FINALLY - something to do with that iDrive screen. for those of you with HUD, you don't even need the screen for navigation.

huh, huh, huh???? let's do it - the ultimate hack! plus, you can connect any bluetooth phone to your Mac mini - heck, even use Salling Clicker and use your bluetooth phone as the mouse, and then when someone calls, the number appears on the iDrive screen, etc. your range of phones has just exploded!

forget BMW - we'll do them one better after January 22.
[snapback]78352[/snapback]
I like your thinking Also if you wanted to up load music on your apple mini you could just use a USB Flash Drive. The new Mac Mini is gonna be a Mod dream device.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:43 AM
Members

Why didn't I buy any Apple stock???

http://www.apple.com/macmini/
Old 01-12-2005, 09:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by redondoman' date='Jan 12 2005, 08:43 AM
Why didn't I buy any Apple stock???

http://www.apple.com/macmini/
[snapback]78426[/snapback]
Well, the stock is down almost 10% since Monday, so maybe now's your chance. The stock is down because of margin fears from the introduction of the new lower-priced products. Competing on low margins is something that will be difficult for Apple. Most companies that compete on low margins are able to do it because they don't have R&D budgets that are as large as Apple's R&D budget. The "cool" factor costs R&D dollars that must be made up for with higher margins.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:04 AM
Members

I would guess that in this case, the R&D budget had been expended for the Cube, the iBook, and Powerbooks, since it's a tried and true processor. compared to their laptops, it's pretty easy to see why it can be so small. remember that the powerbrick is separate!! (too bad.)

still, way excellent news for our cars.

Quick Reply: Gentleman: Apple your BMW