E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

General Audio Discussion for Non L7

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

i have some old school (never used)MB QM100 RMC 4" with QM215 x-over components that i've been thinking about installing in the front doors. they are spec'd at 4 ohms, when i measure the impedance its about 3 ohms.

i can't decide what to do. i want to use an aftermarket amp with a cleansweep, lc7 or other line converter for the front and rear mids and highs. but i've read so many bad stories here about ear shattering chimes and low level hissing that i can't seem to start the project. i have many of the components on the bench ready to go, but just can't pull the trigger and start scattering car parts all over my garage.

i may just chicken out and wait for BSW to come out with their new PNP amp and buy that along with the speaker upgrade, and call it good, but it seems like the easy way out. for me most of the fun in car audio is the scheming, the research, the actual install, and tuning.

i am for sure doing the SWS-8 underseat sub upgrade with aftermarket amp as that is a low risk and very easy thing to do, since i don't have to worry about chimes, hissing and general i-drive freakouts.

are the stock front speakers 2 Ohm?
Old 04-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by response_surface
i have some old school (never used)MB QM100 RMC 4" with QM215 x-over components that i've been thinking about installing in the front doors. they are spec'd at 4 ohms, when i measure the impedance its about 3 ohms.

i can't decide what to do. i want to use an aftermarket amp with a cleansweep, lc7 or other line converter for the front and rear mids and highs. but i've read so many bad stories here about ear shattering chimes and low level hissing that i can't seem to start the project. i have many of the components on the bench ready to go, but just can't pull the trigger and start scattering car parts all over my garage.

i may just chicken out and wait for BSW to come out with their new PNP amp and buy that along with the speaker upgrade, and call it good, but it seems like the easy way out. for me most of the fun in car audio is the scheming, the research, the actual install, and tuning.

i am for sure doing the SWS-8 underseat sub upgrade with aftermarket amp as that is a low risk and very easy thing to do, since i don't have to worry about chimes, hissing and general i-drive freakouts.

are the stock front speakers 2 Ohm?

To the best of my knowledge the entire stereo system speakers are 2 Ohm!

As for the Earthquake/Amp upgrade, I highly recommend it! Well worth it, you wont get earthshattering bass, but it will be much improved over the factory sound.

GL