E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Front Lower Strut Mount Adjustable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:57 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Basically what's going to happen is: You'll raise the front .5" then when you hit a bump for the first time, possibly the 5th time, it'll drop right back down and the added punishment could damage the control arms. If you want ride height adjustment sell the Eibach's and get some coilovers.

I say this because in the control arm there's a cup, that holds the strut by the bulge in it. If you raise it like you say, there is no way it will have the clamping force needed to hold it at that height. Keep in mind the suspension components (like the control arms) are aluminum - which is a sift metal, the chance of damage is too high for my comfort.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i Alpine White / Tan

Originally Posted by pjinca
Basically what's going to happen is: You'll raise the front .5" then when you hit a bump for the first time, possibly the 5th time, it'll drop right back down and the added punishment could damage the control arms. If you want ride height adjustment sell the Eibach's and get some coilovers.
Just to rebute my point, how is that any different than my current stock setup that is not resting on the lower control arm and is fixed by the clamp only with the bottom of the strut hovering over the control arm..... I guess a question might be SHOULD THE STOCK STRUT BE RESTING ON THE CONTROL ARM AT THE BOTTOM?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by baggedlvintegra
Just to rebute my point, how is that any different than my current stock setup that is not resting on the lower control arm and is fixed by the clamp only with the bottom of the strut hovering over the control arm..... I guess a question might be SHOULD THE STOCK STRUT BE RESTING ON THE CONTROL ARM AT THE BOTTOM?
No, it shouldn't be resting ON the lower control arm, that's NOT a stock setup. Normally they sit about an inch over it.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 LCI 535i sport M5 umnitza full kit, Maya RM 1 245/35/20 20x9 et16, 275/30/20 20x10.5 et17, Future mods- KW coilovers V3 and StopTech brake

The potential if damaging the control arm is inevitable with what you are planning.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Members

No, it shouldn't be resting ON the lower control arm, that's NOT a stock setup. Normally they sit about an inch over it.
Correct so what is any different if sits 1.5"s over rather than 1"?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Senior Members

Correct so what is any different if sits 1.5"s over rather than 1"?
Seems like you have your mind made up. Do it and report back.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Members

^^^^^^ no just voicing MY opinion and looking for feedback from others, then Ill make up my mind but...

a bit of contradiction...?

I say this because in the control arm there's a cup, that holds the strut by the bulge in it. If you raise it like you say, there is no way it will have the clamping force needed to hold it at that height. Keep in mind the suspension components (like the control arms) are aluminum - which is a sift metal, the chance of damage is too high for my comfort.
then says this

the same strut/clamp will be used with the stock setup and the eibach coil setup, what makes the clamp any more stable on the stock coils versus the eibachs? You say by raising it it will just get bumped back down, but if the stock strut/spring doesnt get bumped back down then why would the stock strut/eibach coils?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Contributors

No not a contradiction, I stated clearly it shouldn't be resting on the LOWER control arm, the cup that holds the strut is part of the spindle, not the control arm. The stock setup rests, when fully in the cup, about 3/4 to an inch above the lower control arm. My concern with regards to damage is when the strut goes all the way into the cup (and it will) will it then hit the lower control arm and cause damage? If there is even the possibility then it's not worth it. Can the clamp hold the strut .5" above the bottom of the cup? Sure, but as I originally said, once ou hit a bump it'll drop right back down and possibly cause damage.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Members

No not a contradiction, I stated clearly it shouldn't be resting on the LOWER control arm, the cup that holds the strut is part of the spindle, not the control arm. The stock setup rests, when fully in the cup, about 3/4 to an inch above the lower control arm. My concern with regards to damage is when the strut goes all the way into the cup (and it will) will it then hit the lower control arm and cause damage? If there is even the possibility then it's not worth it. Can the clamp hold the strut .5" above the bottom of the cup? Sure, but as I originally said, once ou hit a bump it'll drop right back down and possibly cause damage.
ok between me and you we make work this out lol...but I think we might have a little difference in interpretation...you say the cup, meaning the clamp right? if I move the strut UP in the clamp to move the height UP by .5", this would also increase the distance between the strut bottom and the lower control arm which is a positive thing I believe?! Im just thinking that the clamp on the spindle is going to hold it locked it in place regardless the correlation of the strut in the clamp (stock or Eibach) because it holds now with the stock setup. I could see if I wanted to lower it the clearance wouldnt be there between the the strut and the control arm but what I am trying to do should increase the travel distance...
Old 03-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Contributors

ok between me and you we make work this out lol...but I think we might have a little difference in interpretation...you say the cup, meaning the clamp right? if I move the strut UP in the clamp to move the height UP by .5", this would also increase the distance between the strut bottom and the lower control arm which is a positive thing I believe?! Im just thinking that the clamp on the spindle is going to hold it locked it in place regardless the correlation of the strut in the clamp (stock or Eibach) because it holds now with the stock setup. I could see if I wanted to lower it the clearance wouldnt be there between the the strut and the control arm but what I am trying to do should increase the travel distance...

Ok yes, moving it up in the clamp would move it farther away from the lower control arm. However, like I said, I don't think the clamping force is such to hold it in that position. Normally the cup effectively holds the bottom of the strut and the clamp just holds it in place (that's why there is only one big bolt doing the majority of the clamping). If you move it up, then clamp it down, it will fall back into it's natural place after a bump. This happened when I installed coilovers for someone, the strut wasn't all the way into the cup (didn't notice) and it was fully clamped, we were still setting the height though. When I dropped the jack the strut fell right back into position. This just meant that when I made more height adjustments I had to make sure to tighten the clamp more to keep the strut fully in the cup.

Quick Reply: Front Lower Strut Mount Adjustable?