E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Front Lower Strut Mount Adjustable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i Alpine White / Tan

So Im in the process of installing my Eibach Pro-Kit and seeing as though I didnt do a little more research before I bought them Im at a bit of a delimna. I do not like the raked look with the front lower than the back and it looks like if I install these (I already installed back, waiting to do fronts) that the front will be .5" lower than the rear. Brainstorming how to correct this rake and make it level I noticed how the front lower strut mounts and it only seems logical to me to just move the strut up measily .5" in the clamp and it would move the ride height of the front up .5" correct? Am I right in assuming that this mount solely is responsible for the vehicle height? Looking to get this clarified before I tackle the front...pics for reference (borrowed from Rizbel's install)

Eibach Pro-Kit Rake:

Front Lower Strut Mount:

Old 03-09-2011, 01:06 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

This may work BUT you are seriously compromising the suspension and it's components, let alone your safety. I'd strongly recommend you not do this. I wouldn't rely on the bolt to "position" the shock in place. That is not what it is designed to do. All that clamp does is secure it. It needs to be resting on the lower control arm, with this bolt securing it in place.

I got the pro kit springs also so I understand the dilemma you're in, but it ain't all that bad. Besides, I have the V8 so my front is a couple hundred pounds heavier than yours is. Imagine that. good luck

Old 03-09-2011, 05:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
This may work BUT you are seriously compromising the suspension and it's components, let alone your safety. I'd strongly recommend you not do this. I wouldn't rely on the bolt to "position" the shock in place. That is not what it is designed to do. All that clamp does is secure it. It needs to be resting on the lower control arm, with this bolt securing it in place.

I got the pro kit springs also so I understand the dilemma you're in, but it ain't all that bad. Besides, I have the V8 so my front is a couple hundred pounds heavier than yours is. Imagine that. good luck
Well after crawling under my car my strut doesn't rest on the lower control arm, its fairly close but it definitely doesn't support the strut at all. The clamp is the only thing locking the strut assembly in place, that's what made me think of this idea. Im knew to this E60 but definitely not a newby to suspensions and don't see how raising the mount would compromise safety and functionality? Not trying to argue just needing some facts and opinions before I attempt this.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:14 AM
Senior Members

Sell the Eibachs and go with something else. Don't rig your car to accomodate the springs!
Old 03-09-2011, 07:59 AM
Members

Not going to go through the hassle of uninstalling, selling and buying new coils for the .5".. plus I'm still unsure how this is considered rigged when clearly the strut/ clamp could be locked into any position at the discretion of whoever last worked on the vehicle. Even a BMW tech could mistakenly clamp the strut at different heights as to me (which is why I'm asking for experienced suspension advice) there is no groove or set point of the strut in the clamp
Old 03-09-2011, 08:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

I'd say go for it....and see if you can get the height you want. If it doesn't rest on the control arm and there aren't groves or set points, then it sounds like to me it should be safe no matter where it is clamped. Only concern maybe alignment issues....but I don't know for sure
Old 03-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ktlocklear
I'd say go for it....and see if you can get the height you want. If it doesn't rest on the control arm and there aren't groves or set points, then it sounds like to me it should be safe no matter where it is clamped. Only concern maybe alignment issues....but I don't know for sure
My thoughts exactly! Of course the geometry of the suspension would be off the slightest of a hair possibly, but nothing that wouldn't be addressed with an alignment IMHO. Hopefully one of the suspension guru vendors can chime in with some confirmation.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Originally Posted by baggedlvintegra
Hopefully one of the suspension guru vendors can chime in with some confirmation.
I wouldn't hold your breath.....I posted a thread about EDC sensor removal 2 days ago in the M5 section as I am planning to install lowering springs myself on my M6.....but so far zero responses
Old 03-09-2011, 08:45 AM
Senior Members

If this was the case there would be no need for lowering ranges. If everyone could adjust the ride height by adjusting how far the whole assembly sits then we are all stupid, and the spring manufactuers left out a big secret to scam us. I can't believe it can be that simple. Anyway, GL man...
Old 03-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by medik13
If this was the case there would be no need for lowering ranges. If everyone could adjust the ride height by adjusting how far the whole assembly sits then we are all stupid, and the spring manufactuers left out a big secret to scam us. I can't believe it can be that simple. Anyway, GL man...
I'm not saying this is a suitable way to lower the car, BUT to adjust a minuscule .5" I believe this MAY be an easy approach at doing so. There should be enough play in how it mounts to allow this adjustment safely, but I'm no expert, that's why I'm hoping one will chime in

Quick Reply: Front Lower Strut Mount Adjustable?