5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/)
-   -   Front Brake Pads - Replacement Advice Needed! (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/front-brake-pads-replacement-advice-needed-128927/)

Jayarr85 01-13-2013 10:45 PM

Front Brake Pads - Replacement Advice Needed!

I just noticed that my front brake pads have ~493 miles left according to the iDrive system.

How does my 2006 550i know that? Based on a generic estimate of brake pad life? Or are there intelligent sensors that know that somehow?

More importantly, how should I replace them, since they aren't covered by my warranty? Buy OEM or aftermarket pads? And I'm hoping I can replace them myself with the help of a mechanic friend.

Any advice/help is appreciated!

info@trinityautosport 01-14-2013 08:34 AM

most choose to go with aftermarket pads, mainly for less brake dust compared to the OEM brake pads. some popular aftermarket pads we sell include posi-quiet, stoptech, and cool carbon if interested.

dj_rzn 01-14-2013 02:11 PM

BMW use ATE standard as OEM pads, you can go for ATE ceramic if you want less-dust and an improvement.

I am going for Zimmermann drilled rotors and ATE Ceramic (a friend of mine has these pads on his E90, definitely less dust and very good braking). I also have on my C Class Zimmermann with standard ate and are very good even though multiple times i wased the car with the rotors heated, no problems like "ovalisation". (don't know the english term so i improvised lol)

BenAnd 01-15-2013 05:14 AM

Hi

Remember to get a new sensor aswell ( BMW OEM sensor ) ! , whitout that you won't be able to reset the frontbrake service menü in the cluster ( showen in the i-Drive , but resetet with the trip counter at the cluster ).

Jayarr85 01-15-2013 02:14 PM

Oh wow, so the sensor has to be replaced...

What kind of bill would this run me? 2 front pads, sensor, labor?

Dooniver1 01-16-2013 03:02 PM

Front brake pad and Disk change

Originally Posted by Jayarr85 (Post 1486754)

About to do the same here in Dublin Ireland, tomo so I will let you know how I get on !

turboawd 01-16-2013 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jayarr85 (Post 1486754)

the sensor costs about $20
for best performance, the oem pads are hard to beat. if you want less dust, go aftermarket, but you may lose some stopping performance.

///M-Power 01-16-2013 03:41 PM

OEM ALL THE WAY who gives a shit about brake dust ceramic pads have less bite thats why you get less dust

Jayarr85 01-17-2013 07:19 AM

Ok, great. So I should just head to a near-by dealership and have them replaced... Use OEM parts and call it a day.

Dooniver1 - Let me know what you do and how it goes!