E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

FREE mod with anyone with an AFE or the like

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I saw this on Horsepower tv the other week and I had thought about it before so after I saw someone do it I really wanted to try. They had an old mustang for for their CAI they put 2 pretty big holes in the fender wells and then had piping coming out of each leading to an intake cone filter in the middle of the car area-but this made sense to pull air out of under a fender where there is absolultely no engine heat and it is fresh air straight from outside.

So if you have an afe intake-not sure how all other intakes are installed-the entire bottom/side of the open airbox contains the fender area and it is just a soft carpet material. So I had wanted to make a nice size hole-the size of the current inflow tube from under the fender to bring in additional cold air and act to dissipate some additional heat. My only thought was I did not want gunk from the road being sucked up in there but upon careful inspection and the location it was I believe minimal stuff will be sucked through there and in that case it is a simple fix-simply patch the hole up and voila.

So I tried it today-simply used a circular drill to drill the carpet area out and created a hole. I didnt take a pic but will post the idea here. I know I was not gonna post anymore but had to tell the few with the afe about this freebie because I REALLY noticed a good gain on the butt dyno. The low end torque was really ummffey!

Anyway here is a idea
Attached Thumbnails FREE mod with anyone with an AFE or the like-afe2.jpg