E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 12:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi guys, i'm sorry but i have to ask this question again. does anyone know how to change the fog light light bulbs on a e60? i just bought a pair of piaa 4700k bulbs but don't know how to change them. i changed all the bulbs myself on my e39 before and it was very simple. in fact, they are quite similar but a little different. i took out the plastic screws but couldn't pull out the brackets (the one that holding the foglights). i called the service dept but they said they can't tell me the instructions due to some liability issues. then i called my salesperson and he said since the car is too new, no one really knows how to change them. they have to take a look at the car and replace them for me...with a $99/hour labor charge ! i think it's ridiculous! i can't wait to put them in, take some pics, and post them here. thank you in advance for your help .
Old 06-18-2004, 08:34 PM
Members

Talking

I had the same question and received no replies. Nevertheless, I have a partial answer. The black grill inserts utilize a snap-in design and can be pulled out of the front fascia. The fog light assemblies are then revealed, at which time the next hurdle is revealed. The assemblies are secured to the fascia from behind, meaning that either the inner fender well has to be loosened/removed or another method of access must be determined. Removing the engine tray does not provide a reasonable angle. Any insight that you or anyone can provide would be appreciated. Cannot wait to replace the fog light bulbs to better match Xenon headlights!
Old 06-18-2004, 10:45 PM
Senior Members

i tried today and almost had them removed but no luck. i'll get more details from my friend next week and i'll let you know. wish us luck .
Old 06-18-2004, 10:46 PM
Senior Members

oh, btw, what kind of light bulbs are you going to change?
Old 06-19-2004, 01:58 AM
BMWE60

Are you going to replace super white turn signal lights as well?

I got Polarg B1 Hyper White M-7 Bulb 1156 7506 M7 12V 21W but it doesn't fit in my E60.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WDVW

Any idea where can I find right parts?
Old 06-19-2004, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

bmwe60, i'm not going to change the turn signals since it's illegal in my state. i think the best bet for you to make sure the right part is call bmw parts dept. that's what i did cuz e60 is too new for many of the shops outside. after you find out the right size, then there are many places you can get the bulbs, including ebay.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:49 AM
Members

I am installing PIAA Extreme Whites. Any more information on how to remove the fog light assemblies? Thank you.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:44 PM
Senior Members

dba1t, i'm still waiting for my buddy's answer. he's been quite busy lately but should be able to give me more instructions w/i this week. in fact, he said it's quite easy. just need to loosen the corner splash shield and remove the bottom protection shield. that you should be able to see the housing.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:27 PM
Members

Alohalc, I installed PIAA Extreme White 4000K bulbs today, replacing the factory Philips bulbs. The procedure for accessing the E60 foglight housings and changing the bulbs is quite simple. The E39 required removal of the housings from the front of the vehicle. Ditto for the E46. The E60 does not require removal of the housings and access to the bulbs is provided from below.

You will need a phillips head screw driver, an 8-millimeter socket, ratchet, and short extension. Start by removing the protective cover beneath the engine. From within the forward section of each inner fender well, remove three 8-millimeter bolts that secure the corner splash shields. The corner splash shields can be removed by depressing plastic tabs which are visible from underneath. Once removed, the wire loom and plug-ins for each foglight are easily accessible.

I have included photos below. Most are self explanatory. Photos taken with the cardboard on the ground in front of the vehicle show a comparison of the factory bulb on the driver's side to the PIAA Extreme White bulb on the passenger side. Photos taken with the cardboard removed are of the completed install, with both PIAA bulbs in place. The improvement is dramatic and the foglights are a much closer match to the Xenon headlights. I did the same on our 2002 M3 Coupe. Your 4700K bulbs will likely be an even closer match.

Good luck. Take care.

Old 06-29-2004, 08:49 PM
Members

sweet ride what colour is that?

Quick Reply: Fog Lights