E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Flash Defeating License Plate Cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Hi Friends:

I generally drive the speed limit in town or go with the flow. So, I never get tickets in town unless I take a cheap shot from radar or laser. By "cheap shot," I mean speed detection where the objective is revenue not safety. As in many places, in the Phoenix area, particularly Scottsdale, they tend to set radar up in such a way that one often can be shocked when learning that he or she was speeding--i.e., going over the 9 miles over they generally give you (which, incidentally, I appreciate and think is very generous). Additionally, Scottsdale is testing radar at nine locations on a freeway running through the City (the first such system on a freeway in the country); undoubtely the system will be put into effect for real in a month. It is so easy to go over the speed limit in modern cars that I am afraid I'll speed "accidentally" on this streatch of freeway.

I would not mind paying a radar ticket. I figure if I do the crime, then I'll do the time. But, the point system, and its effects on insurance, are more onerous. So, I now am using a flash-defeating license-plate cover for my 545i (and my Z06)--from Radar Roy. I like the appearance of the cover a great deal, but feel a tad obtrusive since, to be effective on flashes, it cannot be read at a sharp angle from the car. The license number is quite visible from directly behind, although a tiny bit blurry. I also bought some flash-defeating, and not detectable, spray for my wife's car. Believe it or not, the spray can be effective for various reasons.

The only problem with covers, such as mine, is that most jurisdictions have laws, which are subject to interpretation, stating that the view of one's license plate number cannot be obstructed. My understanding is that Scottsdale does not treat the covers as being illegal. However, in Phoenix, some officers would give a ticket and some would not. I suspect that one would be more likely to get a ticket for a cover if stopped for some other violation--particularly a moving one. So, we'll see how it goes. I plan to use the cover until I get a ticket for it alone. I know that my son used one on his 640 HP Porsche turbo for several years in the Phoenix area without a problem. Here's hoping.