E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Fixed my interior trim mess-ups

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Black Sapphire 2004 5.30i

that is basically why i only did the top 2 pieces so far...i'm afraid too much would be not a good thing
Old 09-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

Oh, i want that cf now!
Old 09-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by BET530' post='1005018' date='Sep 11 2009, 11:14 AM
Oh, i want that cf now!
dark silver cf was in stock last week when I checked too
Old 09-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Contributors

I gotta do this, I hate my trim
Old 09-17-2009, 11:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 BMW 530i E61, alpine white, cream-beige interior, sports-auto-transmission and a lot more-

I did cover all of my silver trim in cf. It doesn't look cheesy at all, I think it looks waaaaay better than before, I had this cheap silver that comes regular with the non sport-package.
It's a mess to remove the center dahboard and radiostack,but it's worth every cut in my finger

I didn't change the trims in the doors, because you have to remove the whole doorpanel to unscrew the door trims.

Wait, I will show you pics..

bye,
ivano
Old 09-18-2009, 12:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Was the gearshift knob hard to do? How's it holding up? I would think that the shit knob would get the most wear, since you touch it at least twice each time you drive. Mine's a manual, so I'm curious how well the CF hold up "under pressure" of constant rubbing/touching/grabbing etc.

BTW it looks wicked good
Old 09-18-2009, 02:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 BMW 530i E61, alpine white, cream-beige interior, sports-auto-transmission and a lot more-

well, the shift knob was quite difficult because of the curves,but when you wrap the cf foil, you have to heat it quite long and then press the shift knob into the foil very strong.
the best is to do this with a buddy, you hold the knob and your buddy holds the foil and heats it, when you see that the foil is warm enough,you press this damn thing against the foil.
As for the quality, this is a very high qualitative wrap, I did it 4 months ago and till today I don't see any signs of using nor color mutation, and the sun was shining quite often on the knob.

So do IT!!!
You will not regret it..

Ivano
Old 09-18-2009, 03:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ivano' post='1010898' date='Sep 18 2009, 06:37 AM
well, the shift knob was quite difficult because of the curves,but when you wrap the cf foil, you have to heat it quite long and then press the shift knob into the foil very strong.
the best is to do this with a buddy, you hold the knob and your buddy holds the foil and heats it, when you see that the foil is warm enough,you press this damn thing against the foil.
As for the quality, this is a very high qualitative wrap, I did it 4 months ago and till today I don't see any signs of using nor color mutation, and the sun was shining quite often on the knob.

So do IT!!!
You will not regret it..

Ivano
Which one did you use? I have some that I bought from Trinity some months ago that I want to use on some trim pieces that are peeling. I don't want to put over my anthracite bamboo though - I love it just the rubberized trim pieces that are wearing out on the steering wheel and window control panels on the doors (pre-LCI). The trickiest part for me would be to do the window control panels, because the actual window switch has this recessed area that constantly gets used when windows are opened and closed. So unless I know for sure that it'll last, I don't want to mess with it; know what I mean?
Old 09-18-2009, 04:00 AM
Contributors

of course I know,

same problem for me, the piece where you stick the finger when you want to use the windowshift,right?
I can tell you, the foil I used is from "3M" a well-known brand for such things, and the best thing is, when you want to remove the wrap, there's no residue of glue or such things, you can't even notice that there's been foil on it .

I would recommend to work with a hairdryer and a buddy that gives you a helping hand in stretching the heated foil( like for steering wheel cover),but before you do this, make shure you remove every little piece of dust and dirt,also remove grease spots, so the foil will achieve the best results.
You can also use little "helpers" to bring the foil in appropriate position( e.g. in recessed areas like window shift), use a rubber,because its not hard(you can't destroy the foil) and its kinda sharp
I did it with a docter/ductor/wiper/squeegee( didn't know the right word for it).

Of course you need also a cutter knife, but thats naturally.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ivano' post='1010925' date='Sep 18 2009, 08:00 AM
of course I know,

same problem for me, the piece where you stick the finger when you want to use the windowshift,right?
I can tell you, the foil I used is from "3M" a well-known brand for such things, and the best thing is, when you want to remove the wrap, there's no residue of glue or such things, you can't even notice that there's been foil on it .

I would recommend to work with a hairdryer and a buddy that gives you a helping hand in stretching the heated foil( like for steering wheel cover),but before you do this, make shure you remove every little piece of dust and dirt,also remove grease spots, so the foil will achieve the best results.
You can also use little "helpers" to bring the foil in appropriate position( e.g. in recessed areas like window shift), use a rubber,because its not hard(you can't destroy the foil) and its kinda sharp
I did it with a docter/ductor/wiper/squeegee( didn't know the right word for it).

Of course you need also a cutter knife, but thats naturally.
My biggest hiccup was the actual foil - the one I have is not 3M and it is far from what you're describing.
Where did you purchase yours?

Quick Reply: Fixed my interior trim mess-ups